Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI... a small update on the momentary black screen issue.

About 48 hours ago, I replaced my DP cable to the display from a direct mini-DP->DP to a mini-DP->DP adapter + DP/DP cable. The DP cable I had used with my DH67GD desktop reliably for years. I usually try to avoid adapters and prefer the appropriate cable (less connectors in line... usually better).

But since I switched to the new cable + adapter, no blank screen at all.

It seems most DP cables (I had used two different ones, one mini-DP->DP, and another USB-C->DP) are crap.

Is anyone experiencing louder fan noise on MacOS? Compared to Linux, the bloody thing hums rather loudly, especially when watching YouTube videos or running Adobe apps.

Let's check your setup.
Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

All files attached. As always, much appreciated.

Your profile does not indicate which NUC you own. Please fix.
If you have NUC6i7KYK, these files look fine, except:
- OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi are mutually exclusive. Use one or the other, not both.
- AppleAHCIPort.kext should not be in Clover/kexts/Other
- same goes for IOAHCIFamily.kext.
- and Sinetek-rtsx.kext
- but all those kexts are not being injected anyway, so I'm not sure why you have them in Clover/kexts/Other...
- USB audio could be causing problems (it has custom kernel drivers)... test without.

You should check Activity Monitor to see what might be using CPU resources...

Last edited:
Your profile does not indicate which NUC you own. Please fix.
If you have NUC6i7KYK, these files look fine, except:
- OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi are mutually exclusive. Use one or the other, not both.
- AppleAHCIPort.kext should not be in Clover/kexts/Other
- same goes for IOAHCIFamily.kext.
- and Sinetek-rtsx.kext
- but all those kexts are not being injected anyway, so I'm not sure why you have them in Clover/kexts/Other...
- USB audio could be causing problems (it has custom kernel drivers)... test without.

You should check Activity Monitor to see what might be using CPU resources...

Changing the SMBIOS to 14,2 has dramatically improved the situation. While 17,1 did yield slightly better benchmarks, I don't think they are worth the potential issues.

I wonder why 17,1 presents more issues when it is the more logical choice for this configuration.

Changing the SMBIOS to 14,2 has dramatically improved the situation. While 17,1 did yield slightly better benchmarks, I don't think they are worth the potential issues.

I wonder why 17,1 presents more issues when it is the more logical choice for this configuration.

Still no idea which NUC you have (your profile is not filled out correctly... well, not at all...)

What specifically has "improved"? What situation?

On my NUC6i7KYK (see signature), I have run both iMac14,2, iMac14,1, and iMac17,1 (sometimes with HWP) with pretty much equal results.

Still no idea which NUC you have (your profile is not filled out correctly... well, not at all...)

What specifically has "improved"? What situation?

On my NUC6i7KYK (see signature), I have run both iMac14,2, iMac14,1, and iMac17,1 (sometimes with HWP) with pretty much equal results.

I've amended my signature to reflect my build. Doesn't look nearly as full as yours, but it's fresh.

For some reason, 17,1 caused my processor to kick into overdrive during moderately demanding tasks (such as YouTube, Photoshop, etc.). Changing the SMBIOS to 14,2 seems to have remedied the situation. As I write, the fan seems to be virtually silent even with a YouTube video running in the background.

I should note that I'm using a 4k display, which I have noticed tends to contribute to the NUC running hotter, even under Linux. Still, fan noise on MacOS is noticeably louder than on Linux under similar workloads.

I've amended my signature to reflect my build. Doesn't look nearly as full as yours, but it's fresh.

For some reason, 17,1 caused my processor to kick into overdrive during moderately demanding tasks (such as YouTube, Photoshop, etc.). Changing the SMBIOS to 14,2 seems to have remedied the situation. As I write, the fan seems to be virtually silent even with a YouTube video running in the background.

I should note that I'm using a 4k display, which I have noticed tends to contribute to the NUC running hotter, even under Linux. Still, fan noise on MacOS is noticeably louder than on Linux under similar workloads.

Well, the guide recommends iMac14,2, so...
No 4k hardware here, so I can't comment regarding 4k display performance/efficiency...

Trying to boot a Nuc6cayh using an USB with config_install_nuc6.plist, fakesmc.kext and IntelMausiEthernet.kext but gets stuck as seen in the picture.

I've tried with Clover v4049, v4069 and v4077. Same result. I also tried to add FakecpuID in teh config.plist with my Cpu ID (0x0605C9 for Intel J3455) but nothing happens.

Any idea please? It would be great to, at least , reach the installer.

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back