Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I switched around several certified cables — tried all sorts of combinations; and the problem persisted. Though as Rehabman mentioned, it is barely noticeable. When I first got the NUC SC I was (unbeknownst to myself) using incompatible Corsair RAM and the screen blanking would happen much more frequently, and enough to be annoying, and enough to make watching video nearly unviable. Changing the RAM noticeably improved the problem to occurrence of maybe once or twice a day. But since BIOS update it finally seems to be resolved.

I´ve bought the version with installed 8GB RAM and 256GB Intel SSD. So I just bought a second identical RAM (crucial) and a second SSD (Samsung SM961 512GB). I did fix the problems with changing the cable.

@RehabMan
Why you (or the forum) is editing my signature? I set it like you do. But now its the 3rd time it was be edited from someone and many stuff is missing.

I've been having this screen blanking for a while also. Occurring maybe once or twice a day, and worse when watching HD video. I just updated the BIOS to the new release a few days ago and it seems to have disappeared. (I hope!)

Just updated my BIOS too. I went from 0034 -> 0045. It will be interesting to see if it is fixed.
I see this in the 0041 changelog (from Release Notes):
Modified the SA voltage.

And a quick google search shows "SA voltage" may be display related...

@RehabMan
Why you (or the forum) is editing my signature? I set it like you do. But now its the 3rd time it was be edited from someone and many stuff is missing.

It is not me.
But note that my signature is constrained to three lines (even though they wrap).

Hi guys,

I am curious as to how most people are accessing the internet on the newer NUCs with the soldered wifi cards? Obviously it is well documented that usb dongles tend to be unreliable on the hack, but I may have to just pick one up and live with it. Just wondering how many others are in the same boat?

Regarding the screen blanking issue, it would be interesting to know if the BIOS update has definitely fixed the problem (SC nucs?). If so has the update changed the value for the sa voltage offset setting? This "fix" doesn't appear to be available in non sc nucs as yet. I have tried latest BIOS for 6i5syh and it didn't help and I can't see any reference in the release notes. Note I do think I have a fix/workaround for this issue, I have been experimenting for months. Last week I created an override file with an EDID that set the native screen refresh to 48Hz instead of 60Hz. Since then I have had no reoccurrence of the problem. I was waiting a while so as not to jinx it, but 4 days without seeing a Problem has never happened before so,I am quietly confident.

Regarding the screen blanking issue, it would be interesting to know if the BIOS update has definitely fixed the problem (SC nucs?).

It does not fix it.
Just had it happen...
I will try a different cable at the earliest opportunity to see if that helps...

I have remained blanking free, for now at least. Note that I have set the fan speed to quite a bit higher than the default settings too, and I think that that has helped. It would be interesting to know whether this happens in Windows too.

No blanking here on Windows... I tried installing MacOS but failed miserably. I'll be here for you in case you wonder if something is working on Windows :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back