Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes this fails 100%.

1/ Start NUC, close and reopen Chrome, check nothing preventing sleep then allow a full sleep (NUC orange) -> Wakes correctly.
2/ Then try a display sleep/wake -> Fails to wake

Observations is that it is trying to wake up, the orange LED on the display turns white, there is some disk activity, but it never succeeds and eventually system locks.

It appears to only wake the display when the system wakes too.

Chrome port hooking was disabled a while ago. It may have been adding to the problem, as this is the first time I have managed to achieve a predictable behaviour patten and a simple work around. Its really not too much of an issue as I now know how to get reliable sleep. I just posted as it would be interesting to know if anyone else has same issue or if it is peculiar to my display.

When this happens, try holding down the power button on the front of the NUC for five seconds (no longer) while tapping on the spacebar. I have to do this on mine most times, but it always works.

Also, if your monitor scans for other sources of input when the computer goes to sleep, then the NUC will probably not come back online because its effectively had its video hot plugged. Try to disable that in the monitor's on screen settings if you think that might be going on.

w w

You should use pre-patch_hda.sh as per guide. This guide does not use VoodooHDA.

No issue with "satellite mode" observed on my NUC6i7KYK.
No issue with Arabesque screen saver either.
I don't have my other NUC6 available at the moment...

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

I uninstalled VoodooHDA and deleted its kexts. Afterwards I restored the original AppleHDA.kext (extracted from the installer) and re-run the post installation scripts including pre-patch_hda.sh. Now the problems I mentioned earlier are gone and sound is working :thumbup:

But sleep/wake ist still not working: The NUC seems to go to sleep properly (orange flashing LED), but when it wakes, my HDMI-Display only shows a scrambled and flickering mouse pointer or :beachball:. Same things happens when I turn my monitor off and on again. The computer needs to be restarted.

Is this one of the HDMI related issues you talked about in post #1? I have no DP monitor at home...

I attached the files as in described in your "Problem Reporting" section. Maybe you could look at them, if you want to. Thank you for your guide and support anyways!

Attachments

• RehabManDiagnosis.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
I uninstalled VoodooHDA and deleted its kexts. Afterwards I restored the original AppleHDA.kext (extracted from the installer) and re-run the post installation scripts including pre-patch_hda.sh. Now the problems I mentioned earlier are gone and sound is working :thumbup:

But sleep/wake ist still not working: The NUC seems to go to sleep properly (orange flashing LED), but when it wakes, my HDMI-Display only shows a scrambled and flickering mouse pointer or :beachball:. Same things happens when I turn my monitor off and on again. The computer needs to be restarted.

Is this one of the HDMI related issues you talked about in post #1? I have no DP monitor at home...

I attached the files as in described in your "Problem Reporting" section. Maybe you could look at them, if you want to. Thank you for your guide and support anyways!

Everything looks fine as far as your problem reporting files.
You might try a different monitor or try creating a display override for your monitor.

I have followed the guide pretty closely, Sierra 10.12.2 installed successfully. Was having trouble with Clover booting directly from Samsung 960 NvME, but USB was working. Finally got Clover booting directly from SSD, now I'm crashing on bootup. I have errors like AppleNVME Assert Failed during the verbose logging on startup. Could this be the NVME problem? I was using the Piker Alpha patch to get into USB fine, not sure what is going on while booting from SSD now.

Last edited:
I have followed the guide pretty closely, Sierra 10.12.2 installed successfully. Was having trouble with Clover booting directly from Samsung 960 NvME, but USB was working. Finally got Clover booting directly from SSD, now I'm crashing on bootup. I have errors like AppleNVME Assert Failed during the verbose logging on startup. Could this be the NVME problem? I was using the Piker Alpha patch to get into USB fine, not sure what is going on while booting from SSD now.

NVMe is covered here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

Yes this fails 100%.

1/ Start NUC, close and reopen Chrome, check nothing preventing sleep then allow a full sleep (NUC orange) -> Wakes correctly.
2/ Then try a display sleep/wake -> Fails to wake

Observations is that it is trying to wake up, the orange LED on the display turns white, there is some disk activity, but it never succeeds and eventually system locks.

It appears to only wake the display when the system wakes too.

Chrome port hooking was disabled a while ago. It may have been adding to the problem, as this is the first time I have managed to achieve a predictable behaviour patten and a simple work around. Its really not too much of an issue as I now know how to get reliable sleep. I just posted as it would be interesting to know if anyone else has same issue or if it is peculiar to my display.

I have this same problem waking from sleep so I just disabled it. I am using HDMI out to a DVI monitor.

Everything looks fine as far as your problem reporting files.
You might try a different monitor or try creating a display override for your monitor.

I tried different HDMI cables and monitors. One monitor (my TV) worked fine, so this is a monitor specific problem. Sadly, I can't put the TV on my desk...

I extracted the EDID of my computer monitor (Windows, dual boot) and injected it with Clover (InjectEDID and customEDID), but the problem remains.

I will search on elsewhere as this hardly has to do with your guide.

Thanks but this relies on having Windows 10 already installed to do this which is a $100 license to get this going. Any other way around this as this method isnt going to fly for me?

You can install Win10 temporarily without a license.
And, although it is not covered directly in the guide, you can also determine the ACPI path via ioreg. See related links from the patch-nvme README.

You can install Win10 temporarily without a license.
And, although it is not covered directly in the guide, you can also determine the ACPI path via ioreg. See related links from the patch-nvme README.
Thanks, I followed the patch-nvme method and I'm working now. NVME recognized and all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back