Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was good before. Everything was working except audio pops until I tried to use Clover Configurator to add patches to fix the audio patch (which I am sure I did something wrong) that create the problem.

Since I can boot the SSD image from the USB Clover, could I just restart beginning with the step to install Clover on the SSD EFI drive? Will it overwrite everything correctly and allow me to recreate the correct content?

Follow guide as written.
If you want to try the anti-pop patches add them using copy/paste with Xcode or PlistEdit Pro.
Never edit your config.plist directly with Clover Configurator (warning is in the guide... you ignored it).
Your problem goes beyond config.plist. You did not do the 'make install' in order to setup ACPI/patched correctly.

Follow guide as written.
If you want to try the anti-pop patches add them using copy/paste with Xcode or PlistEdit Pro.
Never edit your config.plist directly with Clover Configurator (warning is in the guide... you ignored it).
Your problem goes beyond config.plist. You did not do the 'make install' in order to setup ACPI/patched correctly.

Actually just checked and I think I gave you the USB EFI files. Attached now are the SSD EFI Files.

Attachments

• CLOVER 2.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
Actually just checked and I think I gave you the USB EFI files. Attached now are the SSD EFI Files.

Your profile is not filled out to reflect your hardware. Impossible to know if this configuration is correct without knowing which NUC you have.

Please fix your profile.

Also, you will need to provide information on what the issue is...

Your profile is not filled out to reflect your hardware. Impossible to know if this configuration is correct without knowing which NUC you have.

Please fix your profile.

Also, you will need to provide information on what the issue is...

Tried fixing that now. It is a NUC6i5SYH. Issue is after trying to add audio pop patches to config.plist system crashed right away when booting. I've reattached the Clover EFI directory with the bad config.plist.

Once I realized I was referencing the USB Clover directories instead of the SSD one, I was able to replace the bad config file with the original good one and recover the system. So now I am back to trying to understand what I did wrong to add the patches and do it correctly.

Attachments

• CLOVER 2.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
Tried fixing that now. It is a NUC6i5SYH. Issue is after trying to add audio pop patches to config.plist system crashed right away when booting. I've reattached the Clover EFI directory with the bad config.plist.

Once I realized I was referencing the USB Clover directories instead of the SSD one, I was able to replace the bad config file with the original good one and recover the system. So now I am back to trying to understand what I did wrong to add the patches and do it correctly.

I already added the anti-pop patches to the plist files in the github project.

I tested on my NUC6i5SYK. It works... Although the audio pops with ALC283 (non-Skull Canyon) are minor compared to those with ALC233 (Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK), the same anti-pop patches can be used to avoid them.

Your config.plist looks to be edited by Clover Configurator. As per post #1, you should never use Clover Configurator to edit your config.plist.

Last edited:
OK. I think I might have it now. I see in the nuc6_sc.plist these entries (picture also attached as file):
#8 AppleHDA anti-pop patch #1 (credit AppleALC)
#9 AppleHDA anti-pop patch #2 (credit AppleALC)

To use XCODE, is it as simple as opening this file and my config.plist and then copying the Item #8 and Item #9 entries from nuc6_sc.plist to my config.plist and saving? Do they need to be in any specific spot in the list or order?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 7.25.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 7.25.34 PM.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 156
Interesting post I ran across regarding Skull Canyon cooling settings in BIOS.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/102557

Pay special attention to the post by N.Scott.Pearson. The real gem is his suggestion for correct setting for "Duty Cycle Increment" param depending on your settings for "Minimum Duty Cycle" and "Minimum Temperature":

Duty-Inc = (100 - Min-Duty) / (80 - Min-Temp)

Thats the post I used to set mine as well. I recommend setting the minimum duty cycle as high as you can for your noise environment. I have it set to 32% and I can't hear it unless I listen closely. (I have an air purifier in the room and the NUC is mounted behind my monitor.) The higher minimum fan speed also has the nice effect of the computer not constantly changing the fan speed when doing light/medium tasks; so you don't hear the fan whirring up faster, slowing down, and whirring up again 10 seconds later.

My settings:
Minimum Duty Cycle (%) - 32
Minimum Temperature (°C) - 60
Duty Cycle Increment - (%/°C) - 4

<= 60°C, fan is at 32%
At ~65°C, fan is at 50%
At ~68°C, fan is at 65%
At ~70°C, fan is at 75%
At ~73°C, fan is at 85%
At ~77°C, fan is at 100%

So I hit 100% fan speed before 80°C since I prefer a cooler computer.

Last edited:
To use XCODE, is it as simple as opening this file and my config.plist and then copying the Item #8 and Item #9 entries from nuc6_sc.plist to my config.plist and saving? Do they need to be in any specific spot in the list or order?

Yes, cut and paste works fine. Select an item in the destination plist and paste on top of that adds the new data in as the next item. I don't think order matters, but you can use cut and paste to reorder as per the original (which is what I do just in case!)

OK. I think I might have it now. I see in the nuc6_sc.plist these entries (picture also attached as file):
#8 AppleHDA anti-pop patch #1 (credit AppleALC)
#9 AppleHDA anti-pop patch #2 (credit AppleALC)

Thanks.

Yes... it is simple copy/paste.
The entries are also in config_nuc6.plist. All you need to do is update your copy of the github project.
But it would be good for you to learn how to use copy/paste.

Yes... it is simple copy/paste.
The entries are also in config_nuc6.plist. All you need to do is update your copy of the github project.
But it would be good for you to learn how to use copy/paste.

If they are already in the config_nuc6.plist then they should have been installed - correct? Maybe I accidentally used the config_install_nuc6.plist as the final config.plist file? But I am pretty sure I used the following commands (I copied all of them and pasted them as I went in terminal) instead of using Finder to copy the file. So not sure why they would not already be in the final config file.

First, mount the EFI partition:
Code (Text):
sudo ./mount_efi.sh /

For the NUC6, copy the file:
Code (Text):
cp config_nuc6.plist /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist

I can try running these commands again. That should put the correct and complete config.plist including the audio patches in the clover directory. Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back