Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on updating from 10.12.3 to 10.12.5 soon. My build from this guide is around February. My plan is to:
  1. Update to the latest repository per the steps in the Major Update section of post 1. This will also add in Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext in case they are needed, correct?
  2. Add back custom config.plist changes
  3. Run the update from the app store
If there is anything I should change please let me know. I'll do reboots and backup after step #2 to make sure everything still works before the update.

Thanks.

download.sh and install_downloads.sh will automatically fetch Lilu+IntelGraphicsFixup, so if you run it prior to the update, they will already be there.

Other than that... looks like you have the right idea...

So really, procedure is simply:
- update per "Major updates"...
- add back any custom things to your config.plist
- do the update

Hi Rehabman how do we know when you would be updating the files? Will you update your first post in this thread?

Thank you.

Hi Rehabman how do we know when you would be updating the files? Will you update your first post in this thread?

Thank you.

I update at any time. No notification here.
You can probably subscribe to notifications on github. No idea how... never looked into it.

I've had my Skull Canyon working as my primary computer for about a week now. Thanks, RehabMan for all your work on the Intel NUC's and the NVMe SSD's.

I just wanted to share some problems I encountered along the way. In doing a Google search I couldn't find people who had these issues with these specific causes, so hopefully by putting it here, it may help somebody else.

1) In trying to start the install from Clover, I got the message:
OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for \.IABootFiles\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There could be numerous causes for this, what happened in my case was that the BIOS setting "Execute Disable Bit" was disabled where it should have been enabled (must have read the instructions incorrectly).

2) Also, in starting the install from Clover, in verbose mode, messages fly quickly on the screen, a kernel panic occurs (only discernible if you can read quickly or take a picture) and the Clover screen re-appears.

Again, there could be numerous causes. In my case, I have the Samsung 960 (had the Evo, it died and replaced it with the Pro) and I created the SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml from what's been posted on this site. If you do that, the SSD has to be in the first slot (middle of the computer). Putting in the other slot is the wrong slot and caused the kernel panic.

3) I created the HackrNVMeFamily on my 10.11.6 (up-to-date the security updates) computer, tried to install from a recent AppStore download of El Capitan. It wouldn't recognize the 960 Evo. The App Store gave me the base 10.11.6 despite me downloading it in early May 2017. I'm guessing (RehabMan, feel free to comment) that me using HackrNVMeFamily created from an updated El Capitan with the base 10.11.6 installer was the problem. Given the choice of either installing the base 10.11.6 and updating it on the Skull Canyon or installing Sierra (10.12.4 at the time) on an external disk on one of my computers (I hadn't installed Sierra yet on any of my other Mac), I just decided to install Sierra and that worked.

4) I was having an issue whereby coming out of waking the display would freeze the Skull Canyon. (I followed the directions and computer sleep is disabled). Before trying to wake, I could ssh into the Skull Canyon and it was working. Trying to wake the display would make the computer freeze (ssh, ping would not work, obviously the display wasn't working as well). This happened numerous times but once was there a message in one of the logs:

Assertion failed: (false && "10 seconds of continuous GPU Driver unreadiness, relaunching WindowServer"), function void IMGGraphicsStackReadinessFailure(), file Server/Windows/Updater.cc, line 2864.

In the BIOS settings, go to:

Performance -> Graphics -> RC6 (Render Standby) -> Disable

While there were still problems with the display waking, the computer no longer would freeze when trying to wake the display. It should be noted that these display wake problems would not happen for short sleep periods - I would test it after a few minutes of sleep and it would wake (thinking I had solved the problem), but always when the sleep was were 30 minutes or longer, there would be a problem. I don't know what the threshold is.

(I think the display sleep issue is with my monitor, the Nixeus NX-Vue27 - 4-1/2 years old, using DisplayPort; I no longer have the issue when using HDMI - I didn't try this early on because the specs for the monitor say that 2560x1440 is only supported by DisplayPort and DVI, but it turns out that it works for HDMI. Please don't suggest a different cable - the cable I have is VESA compliant and has pin-20 disconnected and in any case, I hope to be getting a new monitor in the next few months.)

Last edited:
download.sh and install_downloads.sh will automatically fetch Lilu+IntelGraphicsFixup, so if you run it prior to the update, they will already be there.

Other than that... looks like you have the right idea...

So really, procedure is simply:
- update per "Major updates"...
- add back any custom things to your config.plist
- do the update

I would also add, make sure you have your SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml file installed onto the NVMe drive, if your using the HackrNVMeFamily drivers. It's an easy mistake to make and the result is a NO ENTRY icon or symbol, a circle with bar through.

I would also add, make sure you have your SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml file installed onto the NVMe drive, if your using the HackrNVMeFamily drivers. It's an easy mistake to make and the result is a NO ENTRY icon or symbol, a circle with bar through.

Best to name it SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml (not SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml), as per guide, so that 'make install' does not delete it..

Hi Dear RehabMan and thanks for your thorough and complete guide for installing Sierra on NUCs. I followed your guide ,everything went smooth and I was able to install 10.12.5 on my NUC6i5SYH. Everything works like a charm except these 2 issues:
1- Although the Display Port audio works, the volume icon in menu bar area is greyed out and volume up-down buttons on keyboard don't work either. the only way to change the volume is through hardware key on the monitor itself. (which is LG 25UM65 P)
The strange thing is I have no issues when the selected audio output is either headphone or a bluetooth speaker.
2- The other issue is more annoying; whenever I turn off monitor it won't turn on again and the monitor displays nothing except "Out of Range" message. Before I use your guide, I've used Ammulder's and this issue existed in that guide, as well. But the difference is while in Ammulder guide I could verify the stability of the system through remoting(using Splashtop) in your guide I can't do this and the Splashtop app on iPad thinks the hackintosh is not turned on.
Many people on this forum had issues regarding sleep/wake up, but strangely enough, my hack sleeps and wakes on flawlessly but won't turn on/off manually.
Thanks again for your time.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
1- Although the Display Port audio works, the volume icon in menu bar area is greyed out and volume up-down buttons on keyboard don't work either. the only way to change the volume is through hardware key on the monitor itself. (which is LG 25UM65 P)
The strange thing is I have no issues when the selected audio output is either headphone or a bluetooth speaker.

No volume controls expected. It is as per Apple design (same on real Mac).
Volume control is on the device itself.

2- The other issue is more annoying; whenever I turn off monitor it won't turn on again and the monitor displays nothing except "Out of Range" message. Before I use your guide, I've used Ammulder's and this issue existed in that guide, as well. But the difference is while in Ammulder guide I could verify the stability of the system through remoting(using Splashtop) in your guide I can't do this and the Splashtop app on iPad thinks the hackintosh is not turned on.
Many people on this forum had issues regarding sleep/wake up, but strangely enough, my hack sleeps and wakes on flawlessly but won't turn on/off manually.
Thanks again for your time.

It is a known issue with hotplug (as per post #1).
Fairly common with Skylake/KabyLake.
No known solution.

Hi Rehabman just a question.

Currently I have 10.12.5 installed on a mechanical hard disk. I want to change to Samsung 850 evo 250gig SSD. Can I simply clone the hard disk to the SSD and install the SSD into the NUC and be able to use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back