Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of observations:

Just checked the default config.plist and it sets ig-platform-id to 19160000, not 19260000 as would seem to be appropriate for Intel Iris 540?

Either one works. Read post #194 for more options.

Had everything working before until I did a git pull and then started over with the guide and did a make clean. Deleted all instances of nvmegeneric in clover efi and also in /l/e. I have the 10.11.6 hacknvme in the clover efi kexts 10.11 folder and also in other, but now I cannot boot at all. Can't even get into the usb installer or clover on the usb. Any ideas?

Boot verbose, show photo. Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

I have been using this install every day now for some time, but sometimes it just shuts down with no warning signs. It's just like I've pulled the plug.

These are the patterns I have noted:
  • It consistently shuts off when playing the game Dreamfall or Tomb Raider (2013)
  • Sometimes at random, when just doing light web browsing
  • It doesn't seem heat related. The hottest this machine have been is 80 degrees celcius (104 farhenheit) under heavy load. When browsing the web and watching videos, it's usually 40 degrees celcius. (175 fahrenheit).
  • It has never shut down during a benchmark, and I have seen the CPU hitting the wattage limit on HWMonitor (45w?) several times, and it has not shut down.
To further test whether it is hardware related or software related, I installed Ubuntu on a USB stick. It stayed on all the time, even when playing Dreamfall and Tomb Raider. I also tried to put the NUC into "Low power mode", but nothing changed.

Do you believe it's hardware related, or tied to my OS X install? I have uploaded the problem shooting files as you requested on the first page. Here is more information on my build, if you are interested :)

Thanks for the amazing work you are doing :clap:

Attachments

• Problem_shooting_NUC_Scull_Canyon.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
I have been using this install every day now for some time, but sometimes it just shuts down with no warning signs. It's just like I've pulled the plug.

These are the patterns I have noted:
  • It consistently shuts off when playing the game Dreamfall or Tomb Raider (2013)
  • Sometimes at random, when just doing light web browsing
  • It doesn't seem heat related. The hottest this machine have been is 80 degrees celcius (104 farhenheit) under heavy load. When browsing the web and watching videos, it's usually 40 degrees celcius. (175 fahrenheit).
  • It has never shut down during a benchmark, and I have seen the CPU hitting the wattage limit on HWMonitor (45w?) several times, and it has not shut down.
To further test whether it is hardware related or software related, I installed Ubuntu on a USB stick. It stayed on all the time, even when playing Dreamfall and Tomb Raider. I also tried to put the NUC into "Low power mode", but nothing changed.

Do you believe it's hardware related, or tied to my OS X install? I have uploaded the problem shooting files as you requested on the first page. Here is more information on my build, if you are interested :)

Thanks for the amazing work you are doing :clap:

Your config.plist is not per guide. Read post #1, "Final config.plist".

ioreg before and after sleep any use?

Could you upload your IORegistry dumps?
I will take a look at them to see if I can help you with what I have learned so far.

Attached and thanks. Currently using iMac17,1 and ig-platform-id of 0x19260000. I have created the necessary files to test other platform-id settings, but need to find time to test these logically now I know a little more about the problem.

Attachments

• IOregArchive.zip
    1 MB · Views: 91
Attached and thanks. Currently using iMac17,1 and ig-platform-id of 0x19260000. I have created the necessary files to test other platform-id settings, but need to find time to test these logically now I know a little more about the problem.

iMac17,1 is not a good idea...

Your config.plist is not per guide. Read post #1, "Final config.plist".

Sorry about that, forgot all about it. I have completed the last step, as per the guide.

But the the random (and not so random) shutdowns continues...

I have attached my current config.plist. Haven't changed anything else since last post.

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.1 KB · Views: 243
Sorry about that, forgot all about it. I have completed the last step, as per the guide.

But the the random (and not so random) shutdowns continues...

I have attached my current config.plist. Haven't changed anything else since last post.

Your profile is not filled out... no idea what hardware you have.

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

I have filled it out now :) It's just a NUC6i7KYK put inside an iMac G4 enclosure. I am really worried that it is the 190w PSU not managing to give enough power to both the screen and the NUC. But if that is the case, I probably should have experienced the same behaviour in other OSes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back