Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is there, but not in AppleHDA.

And now that I've done some more testing, even on-board ALC283 audio on this machine is a complete mess. Short blips work (such as the feedback from changing the volume), but sustained audio playback sputters and stops after only a couple of seconds (or less).

Skylake + OS X == Not ready for prime time.

I think I see a cause... the system does not have the correct idea of time... I played a 148sec video on youtube. It took 230sec real time to play.

May be Clover issue...

And now that I've done some more testing, even on-board ALC283 audio on this machine is a complete mess. Short blips work (such as the feedback from changing the volume), but sustained audio playback sputters and stops after only a couple of seconds (or less).

Skylake + OS X == Not ready for prime time.

I think I see a cause... the system does not have the correct idea of time... I played a 148sec video on youtube. It took 230sec real time to play.

May be Clover issue...

Definitely a Clover issue. I rolled back to Clover r3354 since after looking at the commits, it seemed likely that r3356 had a change that might explain this issue.

I have updated post #1 with information about which Clover should be used (r3354).

Definitely a Clover issue. I rolled back to Clover r3354 since after looking at the commits, it seemed likely that r3356 had a change that might explain this issue.

I have updated post #1 with information about which Clover should be used (r3354).

Resolved also by using config.plist/CPU/UseARTFrequency=false (default is true). It disables the new code added in r3356.

Could this guide be used on earlier NUC boxes? - most likely a Haswell based unit. If so what would need to be done to get the basic h/w working? Having followed your similar Probook/Elitebook guide, I would like to carry on using this method if possible. Currently considering new hardware and trying to decide on a reasonable balance between cost and performance.

Could this guide be used on earlier NUC boxes? - most likely a Haswell based unit. If so what would need to be done to get the basic h/w working? Having followed your similar Probook/Elitebook guide, I would like to carry on using this method if possible. Currently considering new hardware and trying to decide on a reasonable balance between cost and performance.

I have the necessary code already in SSDT-IGPU to handle Haswell graphics... You can try it and see what tweaks are needed (USB changes likely needed).

Hi, thank you for the guide. I am waiting the nuc6i5 to try.
Some questions.
1) Do you think that is it better to start the installation with 16 gb of ram and add the other 16 gb later? Moreover, what kind of ram are you using?
2) Is the kingston HX421S13IBK2 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014R8JRRW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) ok for the nuc6i5syh?
3) Is the new nuc6i7kyk compatible for mac?

Thanks in advance on your answers.

1) Do you think that is it better to start the installation with 16 gb of ram and add the other 16 gb later?

Doesn't matter. Keep in mind there are only two slots.

Moreover, what kind of ram are you using?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104586

2) Is the kingston HX421S13IBK2 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014R8JRRW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) ok for the nuc6i5syh?

Same that I'm using.

3) Is the new nuc6i7kyk compatible for mac?

With minor tweaks, this guide should work for the SkullCanyon NUC.
At this point though, no one has provided to required information. It is possible I may get the SkullCanyon NUC in the future...

Thank you very much for your answer. I tried to install mac on a nuc6i5syh a month ago by following the other guide, http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-intel-skylake-nuc.183839/
but it was impossible, the installations ended twice with the prohibition symbol. Then, I switched off the nuc with no possibility to swicth on again. Now I am waiting a replaced unit and I would to try an installation that works. As you used the same ram, it means that the problems was not in the ram.

Decided on the NUC6i5SYH, little price advantage on buying an earlier model.

Installation observations: Only issue I came across was after the 2nd boot from the Clover Installer:

5. Clover bootloader screen shows up, select "install_osx" as you did in step #2 (your OS X Installer partition, not your install target partition).

6. Install screen will appear and continue installation. This time, installer will install files to your target partition and create Recovery HD partition. This will end PHASE 2

At this point you need to review and accept licensing again, but before I could complete this the NUC rebooted (Panic?). On the 3rd attempt I did this as quickly as possible and got through it, there after all went well.

Post Installation: Whilst generating ssdt there was a warning, "cpu-type" may be improperly set, (0x0605 instead of 0x0905), followed by a further warning that the board-id was not supported by Skylake. I removed the board-id from the SMBIOS using xcode but the warning persists. Not sure if I have to do something else to permanently remove this value?

<edit> tried various board-id's. If I put a correct one for a Skylake iMac then I get a mismatch between model and board-ID, otherwise for a good Board-ID for 14,2 then the error above. So i assume as there isn't a Skylake version of 14,2 we are snookered </edit>

Tested: Bluetooth OK, Audio OK, and AirPlay to Apple TV works too.

Dual boot to Windows also working.

Thanks, this is an excellent little server.

Installation was El Capitan 11.4, will update to 11.5 this evening

Last edited:
At this point you need to review and accept licensing again, but before I could complete this the NUC rebooted (Panic?). On the 3rd attempt I did this as quickly as possible and got through it, there after all went well.

Probably just a fluke, and without seeing your EFI/Clover, no idea...

But things are pretty incomplete at the point of running the installer. I often wonder if is is better to setup a complete patched ACPI even for running the installer. It is not impossible, but does complicate the Clover USB setup a bit...

Post Installation: Whilst generating ssdt there was a warning, "cpu-type" may be improperly set, (0x0605 instead of 0x0905), followed by a further warning that the board-id was not supported by Skylake. I removed the board-id from the SMBIOS using xcode but the warning persists. Not sure if I have to do something else to permanently remove this value?

<edit> tried various board-id's. If I put a correct one for a Skylake iMac then I get a mismatch between model and board-ID, otherwise for a good Board-ID for 14,2 then the error above. So i assume as there isn't a Skylake version of 14,2 we are snookered </edit>

Going from memory.... When I ran ssdtPRgen.sh, I was using a Skylake SMBIOS (iMac17,1). I switched to iMac14,2 later... Keep in mind model must match board-id.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back