Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There we go:
When I tried verbose mode it got stuck right at the beginning after

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
Using relic block: yes, hibernate wake: no
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
_

Your Clover version (r3556) is very old.

Should I use the current one (r4128)?

I build from source periodically. I'm currently using r4093. I usually analyze the commit logs and monitor the Clover threads to decide when to update.

You can try whatever version you like...

What I did in the meantime was:
On another identical empty m.2 drive I installed 10.11.5 from USB stick.
From there I was able to mount the other drive's EFI with clover configurator. However I couldn't access the main partition of that drive at all.
The only thing I installed to the new drive was the driver for WIFI (I currently have no other option to get online since I have to use my neighbour's connection for the next couple of weeks). So with just that pretty vanilla install it boots very quickly and has no graphics issues. Which gave me the stupid idea to just zip all the clover and non apple content of the main drive's EFI and trash the unzipped folders in the assumption that it could be easily reversed by simply unzipping again. Maybe it would boot like the new install did? Nope...
So of course after that there was no way to boot into either drives since there was no clover. With the USB installer attached I'm still able to boot into the newer install and I was able to download sierra and create a USB installer with that and r4128. Which unfortunately doesn't boot...
Now I'm not sure how to proceed.
Ideally I would like to fix the broken install by accessing the EFI while booting from the newer install. If that's where the problem lies. Maybe I could even update to Sierra in the process but I would really like to keep all the files and stuff intact there. So a clean install would be a last resort.
Should I try to continue with post install on the new drive in order to get it bootable and to get access to the other drive? What procedure would you recommend for fixing the old install?

I found after this messing about with EFI clover isn't loading even on the USB. As long as that drive is attached there's grub now instead of clover. I guess I will have to go back to studying how to change the order of clover and grub... Gee. What a mess!

I found after this messing about with EFI clover isn't loading even on the USB. As long as that drive is attached there's grub now instead of clover. I guess I will have to go back to studying how to change the order of clover and grub... Gee. What a mess!

Read post #2 of the main laptop Clover guide. It has instructions for modifying UEFI boot order with efibootmgr in Linux.

Thanks, will do on sunday. No time until then unfortunately :(

Alright, I changed the boot order on my ubuntu live stick with the appropriate terminal commands. So at least I can boot into the secondary emergency install now. Now how to fix the main one?
Should I remove anything, or clover altogether there and replace with newer versions?
Or should I do a complete new install and migrate all data afterwards and also paste the old SMBIOS into the config?

Alright, I changed the boot order on my ubuntu live stick with the appropriate terminal commands. So at least I can boot into the secondary emergency install now. Now how to fix the main one?

No idea what you mean.
There should be only one copy of Clover.
You boot into Clover, then select whichever boot target you want from there.

No idea what you mean.
There should be only one copy of Clover.
You boot into Clover, then select whichever boot target you want from there.

I had installed the latest update to 10.11.6 and was unable to boot as a result. Then I installed 10.11.5 fresh to another drive in order to get to the messed up system drive. Then I trashed clover there and had no more clover option when booting, even with the emergency install or the Install OSX stick. That's when I had to use efibootmgr in ubuntu to put the ubuntu behind clover to be able to get to clover at all.
Now I am back up and running on the emergency install from where I can at least see the other drive with the faulty system again. Now I need to know:
Should I remove clover and or anything else on the no longer working install and just try going through all the post install from the guide again?
Or should I rather do a complete new install and migrate all necessary data over afterwards and also paste the old SMBIOS into the config?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back