Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

I just moved my NUC7I7DNKE to Monterey with the help of @Leesureone EFI on p89

Some specifics in mine that maybe can help people:
-Support for DW1560 wifi and bluetooth. All Apple features (handoff,airdrop, etc are working fine)
-Resolve a hot plug issue to get HDMI sound working as FakePCIID is completely deprecated

Working as a charm and nearly silent as the CPU package is drawing 3 watts when browsing.

EFI can be found here: https://github.com/extric99/Hackintosh-NUC7I7DNKE

Hello, I have a NUC8i5BEK and have been running macOS for years no problem. I recently got an ipad and wanted to get airdrop, continuity, etc. working on it so I ordered this and a BCM94360CS2 card. Wifi works no problem but the bluetooth device does not show up. It won't show up in any OS. Even in Linux or Windows it should show up even without drivers but there is nothing in lsusb list in Linux or Device Manager in Windows.

I have now ordered an additional adapter thinking the first one was bad. And I have two BCM94369CS2 cards thinking it was bad!

My last idea is that the internal usb headers on the motherboard are bad or not enabling or something. Does anyone have any ideas why the above adapter wouldn't be working with my NUC?

Hello, I have a NUC8i5BEK and have been running macOS for years no problem. I recently got an ipad and wanted to get airdrop, continuity, etc. working on it so I ordered this and a BCM94360CS2 card. Wifi works no problem but the bluetooth device does not show up. It won't show up in any OS. Even in Linux or Windows it should show up even without drivers but there is nothing in lsusb list in Linux or Device Manager in Windows.

I have now ordered an additional adapter thinking the first one was bad. And I have two BCM94369CS2 cards thinking it was bad!

My last idea is that the internal usb headers on the motherboard are bad or not enabling or something. Does anyone have any ideas why the above adapter wouldn't be working with my NUC?
It's difficult to say without more information but in Windows, and possibly Linux, drivers are needed. In Windows I believe the card should show in the device manager tree, it just wouldn't be enabled. In OSX if Wifi works and Bluetooth doesn't that is usually an indication your USB ports, specifically the internal headers, aren't mapped correctly. You can use IORegistry Explorer to find them and or Hackintool depending on what version of the OSX you are using. There are also the USB port mapping tools available but all require some knowledge and location of the ports.

I built my EFI folder from scratch using the opencore guide for my 7i5BNH NUC (core i5-7260U) which seems to be working well. I have sound, wifi (intel wifi is actually working!), sleep etc. Bluetooth is showing in the menu bar but I haven't tested it as I don't have any bluetooth devices to pair it with except for my phone. My main desktop PC is using BigSur, but I'm still on Catalina for the NUC. I'm kinda almost not wanting to update it at this point with everything working, but the need to be on the cutting edge is gnawing at me. Is there anything that would hinder updating to BigSur? I'm still on SATA which is dual booted with Debian (nvme has windows 10 which is still my main OS). I'm happy to share my EFI folder if anyone else if interested. I have my own USBmap.kext I built, and my aml files I extracted so they'll be specific to my NUC.

It's difficult to say without more information but in Windows, and possibly Linux, drivers are needed. In Windows I believe the card should show in the device manager tree, it just wouldn't be enabled. In OSX if Wifi works and Bluetooth doesn't that is usually an indication your USB ports, specifically the internal headers, aren't mapped correctly. You can use IORegistry Explorer to find them and or Hackintool depending on what version of the OSX you are using. There are also the USB port mapping tools available but all require some knowledge and location of the ports.
I am using zearp's NUC github so I am pretty sure the USBs are mapped correctly. Here is my hackintool USB map with the adapter and combo card installed. HS06 should be the internal header showing the bluetooth chip but it doesn't show up. I have tried both HS05 and HS06 with no luck.

Screen-Shot-2022-02-05-at-4-41-44-PM.png

This is my second time responding to you. Is it normal for posts to just disappear here?

I am using zearp's NUC github so I am pretty sure the USBs are mapped correctly. Here is my hackintool USB map with the adapter and combo card installed. HS06 should be the internal header showing the bluetooth chip but it doesn't show up. I have tried both HS05 and HS06 with no luck.

View attachment 543512

This is my second time responding to you. Is it normal for posts to just disappear here?
If I remember right way back in this thread another user pioneered using an adapter and an airport card in the M2 slot. I could swear he was using HS10 or HS11 (two headers). I'm going to boot up my NUC and use IORegistry Explorer and see how many HS ports are listed and then edit this post.

EDIT: So I'm not showing any internal ports using IORegistryExplorer app, I do show HS10 as my Intel Bluetooth controller so there are additional ports available to map. You are showing HS07 as an internal connector and populated but no device is registering. Did you have to make your own cable to connect to the internal header to the adapter? There are posts here where bluetooth wouldn't work because the wrong leads were used, once that was corrected bluetooth worked.
NUC8 USB IOREG.png

Last edited:
I built my EFI folder from scratch using the opencore guide for my 7i5BNH NUC (core i5-7260U) which seems to be working well. I have sound, wifi (intel wifi is actually working!), sleep etc. Bluetooth is showing in the menu bar but I haven't tested it as I don't have any bluetooth devices to pair it with except for my phone. My main desktop PC is using BigSur, but I'm still on Catalina for the NUC. I'm kinda almost not wanting to update it at this point with everything working, but the need to be on the cutting edge is gnawing at me. Is there anything that would hinder updating to BigSur? I'm still on SATA which is dual booted with Debian (nvme has windows 10 which is still my main OS). I'm happy to share my EFI folder if anyone else if interested. I have my own USBmap.kext I built, and my aml files I extracted so they'll be specific to my NUC.
You should be fine, my EFI folders on page 89 work up through Monterey by reference. Back everything up and make sure you have a bootable USB drive in case it goes sideways.

Last edited:
If I remember right way back in this thread another user pioneered using an adapter and an airport card in the M2 slot. I could swear he was using HS10 or HS11 (two headers). I'm going to boot up my NUC and use IORegistry Explorer and see how many HS ports are listed and then edit this post.

EDIT: So I'm not showing any internal ports using IORegistryExplorer app, I do show HS10 as my Intel Bluetooth controller so there are additional ports available to map. You are showing HS07 as an internal connector and populated but no device is registering. Did you have to make your own cable to connect to the internal header to the adapter? There are posts here where bluetooth wouldn't work because the wrong leads were used, once that was corrected bluetooth worked.View attachment 543516
Thank you for all your trouble. I didn't make the cable myself. I ordered an adapter off Aliexpress that is made especially for NUCs. Here is the link. The strange thing is the bluetooth device doesn't show up in Windows either.

As for the port mapping, I believe the creator of the EFI changed the mapping of the USBs after Monterey. He mapped the intel wireless card to HS07. I disabled it in the BIOS when I installed the adapter and combo card so that is why it isn't populated in Hackintool.

Thank you for all your trouble. I didn't make the cable myself. I ordered an adapter off Aliexpress that is made especially for NUCs. Here is the link. The strange thing is the bluetooth device doesn't show up in Windows either.

As for the port mapping, I believe the creator of the EFI changed the mapping of the USBs after Monterey. He mapped the intel wireless card to HS07. I disabled it in the BIOS when I installed the adapter and combo card so that is why it isn't populated in Hackintool.
That adapter with the cable soldered on is a lot easier than what we used to have to do. What port is your adapter bluetooth on then? Did you take my advice and download IORegistryExplorer?

Bluetooth just will not work if the USB port it wants to use isn't mapped correctly, wireless will but BT needs USB to function.

Back