Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

What are your thoughts?
Follow CaseySJ's guide to make a CCC backup and you can use Big Sur or Catalina.

Follow CaseySJ's guide to make a CCC backup and you can use Big Sur or Catalina.

Great tip!

Hi everyone, been running Mojave for over a year on clover, and I was wondering if anyone knows of it's safe to update to the latest OS over standard updates. some of my software is starting to get OS limits. Just curious if I have to do a clean clover and OS install on my NUCi5. thanks for any insights

Hi everyone, been running Mojave for over a year on clover, and I was wondering if anyone knows of it's safe to update to the latest OS over standard updates. some of my software is starting to get OS limits. Just curious if I have to do a clean clover and OS install on my NUCi5. thanks for any insights
I'd recommend switching to the Open Core boot loader. Clover may be a little easier to configure in older versions of OSx but moving into Big Sur it requires parts of Open Core to work anyway. There are uploads on page 89 here which support the latest releases including Monterey.

Hi all, has anyone run into issues with their NUC becoming unresponsive to mouse and keyboard input every so often? The mouse/keyboard freeze up for a few seconds, then work for a second, and then freeze again. Remote access via Screen Sharing also fails to work in this state.

This behavior starts about 10min or so after booting and the only recovery is to reboot. I can't tie it down to any specific running process - the machine locks up even if nothing else other than a web browser is running. Resources are totally fine - plenty of RAM (32GB installed) and SSD space. The SSD is also not impacted by the SSD controller bug that some vendors/models exhibit mentioned further up this thread (confirmed with boot time tests). I dual boot with Windows 11, and Windows runs totally fine and stable, so also I don't think it's hardware related.

Any logs I should be looking at?

The most recent change on the hack was to update OC to 7.6 and an in place upgrade to Monterey 12.1 from Big Sur.
The machine was stable for at least 3 weeks post upgrade so I don't think it's related to that, but just in case. NUC8i7BEH.

Hi all, has anyone run into issues with their NUC becoming unresponsive to mouse and keyboard input every so often? The mouse/keyboard freeze up for a few seconds, then work for a second, and then freeze again. Remote access via Screen Sharing also fails to work in this state.

This behavior starts about 10min or so after booting and the only recovery is to reboot. I can't tie it down to any specific running process - the machine locks up even if nothing else other than a web browser is running. Resources are totally fine - plenty of RAM (32GB installed) and SSD space. The SSD is also not impacted by the SSD controller bug that some vendors/models exhibit mentioned further up this thread (confirmed with boot time tests). I dual boot with Windows 11, and Windows runs totally fine and stable, so also I don't think it's hardware related.

Any logs I should be looking at?

The most recent change on the hack was to update OC to 7.6 and an in place upgrade to Monterey 12.1 from Big Sur.
The machine was stable for at least 3 weeks post upgrade so I don't think it's related to that, but just in case. NUC8i7BEH.
Different hard drives for Windows and Monterey? I know Windows is running smooth but it sounds like a hardware issue.

Different hard drives for Windows and Monterey? I know Windows is running smooth but it sounds like a hardware issue.

All on the same SSD, just different partitions. One thing that comes to mind is extracting a lot of files from a Google Photos Takeout multiple times. Will try HDD first aid to check FS integrity. If that doesn't help, time to wipe and reinstall.

If one uses a BCM94360CS2 via adapter on the NVMe Drive, which kext do I need to disable to have native BT /Wifi? not planning to use the NUC 8 intel wifi module. I used the EFI on page 89, but my BT and Wifi were not recognized (working fine on older OC 6 version) on Big Sur.

thanks

Hi @Leesureone, My NUC8i7BEH everything works fine except bluetooth! I'm on 12.2.

bluetooth is there and i can enable/disable + searching for devices, but when trying to pairing no luck! giving me unsuccess. trying with iPhone 12 Pro.

If one uses a BCM94360CS2 via adapter on the NVMe Drive, which kext do I need to disable to have native BT /Wifi? not planning to use the NUC 8 intel wifi module. I used the EFI on page 89, but my BT and Wifi were not recognized (working fine on older OC 6 version) on Big Sur.

thanks
Using an adapter do you also have to connect to an internal USB header? If not then as you requested uncheck Airportitlwm.kext, BlueToolFixup.kext and IntelBluetoothFirmware.kexts in your config.plist under the Kernel/Kexts section using a plist Editor. Reboot and Clear the NVRAM just in case.

Kexts NUC8.png

Back