Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Hey Leesureone, is it possible to merge your EFI with patched TB controller?

Only with flashed TB controller (which shows now under Systemprofiler -> Thunderbolt) I was able to attach a target mode macbookpro and access the drive.

Hey Leesureone, is it possible to merge your EFI with patched TB controller?

Only with flashed TB controller (which shows now under Systemprofiler -> Thunderbolt) I was able to attach a target mode macbookpro and access the drive.
@cyonix I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. The GitHub post states each user would need to flash their own Thunderbolt controller at the risk of bricking it. Then if successful I don't see what the end result would be. Hot Plugging enabled? Did you see the issue one NUC8 user posted even after succesfulflashing?
To be more specific what are you asking me to incorporate into the EFI folders?

Is anyone else using a native Wifi/Bluetooth card (e.g. BCM94360CS2) having trouble getting a proper USB mapping kext either using USBMap or the more popular Hackintool method indicated here:

No matter what method I use, the ports are never mapped correctly and Bluetooth doesn't work.

Bluetooth works fine and shows up correctly using USBInjectall, but not with any of the traditional methods of creating a custom USBPorts.kext (e.g. booting with USBInjectall, removing ports in Hackintool and exporting the kext) - it results in a weird/screwed up USB port map. My internal headers are on HS05 and HS06 but the Hackintool exported kext results in HS10 being mapped instead of HS06, and HS05 (where my Bluetooth normally is) to appear in the mapping but not recognize the Bluetooth card. Very weird because the Info.plist in the kext doesn't mention HS10 anywhere.

It seems to work and the ports map correctly if I use the SSDT-EC-USBX and SSDT-UIAC aml files that Hackintool exports (along with USBInjectall.kext), but not if I just use the USBPorts.kext from the same export. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening or how to fix it?

Is anyone else using a native Wifi/Bluetooth card (e.g. BCM94360CS2) having trouble getting a proper USB mapping kext either using USBMap or the more popular Hackintool method indicated here:

No matter what method I use, the ports are never mapped correctly and Bluetooth doesn't work.

Bluetooth works fine and shows up correctly using USBInjectall, but not with any of the traditional methods of creating a custom USBPorts.kext (e.g. booting with USBInjectall, removing ports in Hackintool and exporting the kext) - it results in a weird/screwed up USB port map. My internal headers are on HS05 and HS06 but the Hackintool exported kext results in HS10 being mapped instead of HS06, and HS05 (where my Bluetooth normally is) to appear in the mapping but not recognize the Bluetooth card. Very weird because the Info.plist in the kext doesn't mention HS10 anywhere.

It seems to work and the ports map correctly if I use the SSDT-EC-USBX and SSDT-UIAC aml files that Hackintool exports (along with USBInjectall.kext), but not if I just use the USBPorts.kext from the same export. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening or how to fix it?
I used to use the SSDT-UIAC.aml to map my ports instead of the USBPorts.kext, basically they both do the same thing but you only need one or the other. I never had to use SSDT-EC-USBX.aml file though. I'd be happy with using the SSDT-UIAC.aml if it works. Can't say without knowing exactly what steps you are taking why the kext won't work though. I know the guide works using OpenCore, here's what I do.
In my config.plist under Kernel/ Add I have USBInjectAll.kext listed and enabled, if USBPorts.kext is listed I disable it. Then in Kernel/ Quirks I enable XhciPortLimit. Reboot, as an added step Clear the NVRAM. Once at the desktop run Hackintool and define your USB ports, make sure the ports are properly identified by type. Generate the USBPort.kext and add it to your EFI/OC/Kexts folder. Edit your config.plist to disable USBInjectAll.kext and enable USBPorts.kext. Then in Kernel/Quirks turn off XhciPortLimit. Reboot and test

Last edited:
@Leisureone

The last 2 versions (OC66+67) stopped working for me when booting from NVM("Inser proper boot media"), they do work when using a USB stick only

Notable differences to last working version:
OC/Bootstrap folder missing

diff -qr EFI EFI_067 |grep "Only in "
Only in EFI: APPLE
Only in EFI_067/OC/Drivers: ._OpenHfsPlus.efi
Only in EFI_067/OC/Drivers: ._OpenPartitionDxe.efi
Only in EFI/OC/Drivers: ._VBoxHfs.efi
Only in EFI_067/OC/Drivers: OpenHfsPlus.efi
Only in EFI_067/OC/Drivers: OpenPartitionDxe.efi
Only in EFI/OC/Drivers: VBoxHfs.efi
Only in EFI/OC/Tools: ._HdaCodecDump.efi
Only in EFI/OC/Tools: HdaCodecDump.efi

Rest seems identical. Usually I just replace(rename EFI to EFI_old) and insert the new EFI and 3 replacing the 3 serials on both the USB stick and the NVM afterwards. Boots from USB, does not with the same from NVM

Any idea?

Last edited:
@Leisureone

The last 2 versions (OC66+67) stopped working for me when booting from NVM("Inser proper boot media"), they do work when using a USB stick only

Notable differences to last working version:
OC/Bootstrap folder missing

diff -qr EFI EFI_067 |grep "Only in "
Only in EFI: APPLE
Only in EFI_067/OC/Drivers: ._OpenHfsPlus.efi
Only in EFI_067/OC/Drivers: ._OpenPartitionDxe.efi
Only in EFI/OC/Drivers: ._VBoxHfs.efi
Only in EFI_067/OC/Drivers: OpenHfsPlus.efi
Only in EFI_067/OC/Drivers: OpenPartitionDxe.efi
Only in EFI/OC/Drivers: VBoxHfs.efi
Only in EFI/OC/Tools: ._HdaCodecDump.efi
Only in EFI/OC/Tools: HdaCodecDump.efi

Rest seems identical. Usually I just replace(rename EFI to EFI_old) and insert the new EFI and 3 replacing the 3 serials on both the USB stick and the NVM afterwards. Boots from USB, does not with the same from NVM

Any idea?
I‘ve read recommendations, because of the changes in how bootstrap.efi is implemented in 6.6, that clearing the drive selections in the bios first and then resetting the NVRAM was needed. Thats not a factor booting off of a USB drive and so that way works.

I think all I did was reset the NVRAM but then I haven’t had that issue.

Last edited:
Hi, Does anyone know if there is a problem to get a new serial for NUC8, in my case NUC8i5. I wish to use Macmini8,1 (model 2018). I have tried both GenSMBIOS.command and OpenCore Configurator (0.6.7) hundreds of times. Every time it shows "We’re sorry, but this serial number isn’t valid. Please check your information and try again." I read something that they are going to change their systems from 2021, but does it also involve 2018 model?

Back