Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Thanks a lot for sharing this info Leesureone! Indeed it must have been a corrupt file. Strangely I did download it from the system update. I had to restart from a cloned disk and I saw in Disk Utility that there was an dmgupdate disc there. Unfortunately it could not be removed with any method that I know of and the disc itself refused to be repaired. I had to restart from a Ubuntu usb stick, reformat the whole disc and then clone Mac OS back from there. I hope it does not have anything to do with my Samsung Nvme disk. I updated that one as you mentioned it on page 90. Maybe I shall try the combined update file next time to see what happens. Apart from that this NUC8i3 works very well with OpenCore 0.6.2.
So I managed to update to latest Catalina 19H15. After having some disk problems at my first attempt I updated first from OpenCore 0.6.2 to 0.6.3. This time everything went quite smooth and everything works great. One little thing I observed is that "about this Mac" report the cpu as an Intel i7, but it it is an i3. Well..

Attachments

• NUC8i3.png
    NUC8i3.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 42
I am pretty sure that SecureBootModel can be turned back to Default for BigSur after 6.3 update.:thumbup:
I can confirm it boots wit the Default setting, don't know if it will update correctly but I'll leave it as is and see when Release 2 is out

My NUC8i5BEH is working with Catalina 10.15.7 by using the EFI on page 370 , which I think is OC0.6.3 thanks to jvelascov and Leesureone. By working I mean all the USB ports are working including the USB-C TB3. Audio works on HDMI ok, and on the audio jack.
However, there are 2 issues:
  1. On occasions, it will freeze. It seems related to the USB-C TB3. For example, I have a TerraMaster external RAID device plugged into the TB3 port, even if I eject it first, it seems to freeze the system when I disconnect the cable. The kernel panic log seems to indicate it has something to do with com.apple.driver.watchdog and com.apple.driver.AppleSMC.
  2. The wifi will only connect to my Linksys wifi router. I have several Netgear Orbi routers, and it will not recognize them.
I can live with both these issues, although they're a little annoying. The wifi issue is especially perplexing, though. Anybody have any ideas

My NUC8i5BEH is working with Catalina 10.15.7 by using the EFI on page 370 , which I think is OC0.6.3 thanks to jvelascov and Leesureone. By working I mean all the USB ports are working including the USB-C TB3. Audio works on HDMI ok, and on the audio jack.
However, there are 2 issues:
  1. On occasions, it will freeze. It seems related to the USB-C TB3. For example, I have a TerraMaster external RAID device plugged into the TB3 port, even if I eject it first, it seems to freeze the system when I disconnect the cable. The kernel panic log seems to indicate it has something to do with com.apple.driver.watchdog and com.apple.driver.AppleSMC.
  2. The wifi will only connect to my Linksys wifi router. I have several Netgear Orbi routers, and it will not recognize them.
I can live with both these issues, although they're a little annoying. The wifi issue is especially perplexing, though. Anybody have any ideas
I haven't really used Thunderbolt with these much so I don't have much to contribute there. Not sure if you were aware the wireless kext is in Alpha stage so not too surprising there are issues. Might read and or post here:

I can confirm it boots wit the Default setting, don't know if it will update correctly but I'll leave it as is and see when Release 2 is out
Hi, with the release of BigSur yesterday for Thurs have you come up with an upgrade path for users from Catalina:
1. I see that you have prep nuc8i7oc6.3 for BigSur. I am using your oc6.1 for Catalina.
2. If we were to upgrade how should we do it?
3. At what point into the installation process should we switch to the new EFI?
I know it is a big ask but I am very confused since the EFI was originally made for a fresh installation of BigSur.

Hi, with the release of BigSur yesterday for Thurs have you come up with an upgrade path for users from Catalina:
1. I see that you have prep nuc8i7oc6.3 for BigSur. I am using your oc6.1 for Catalina.
2. If we were to upgrade how should we do it?
3. At what point into the installation process should we switch to the new EFI?
I know it is a big ask but I am very confused since the EFI was originally made for a fresh installation of BigSur.
Easier than you think, update the EFI folder to OC6.3 from page 90 now then boot into Catalina. When Big Sur is available perform the update, back up any important data first as usual, that's it.

Easier than you think, update the EFI folder to OC6.3 from page 90 now then boot into Catalina. When Big Sur is available perform the update, back up any important data first as usual, that's it.
Enable WiFi Beta Support (for OC6.1 and latter):
Copy AirportItlwm.kext to /EFI/OC/Kexts/
Bash:
plutil -insert Kernel.Add.14 -xml '<dict><key>BundlePath</key><string>AirportItlwm.kext</string><key>Comment</key><string>Wi Fi</string><key>Enabled</key><true/><key>ExecutablePath</key><string>Contents/MacOS/AirportItlwm</string><key>PlistPath</key><string>Contents/Info.plist</string></dict>' config.plist
I just finished modifying the config to mine. I have been really wanna try out the new wifi support recently but the instruction is a bit confusing:
1. Besides adding kext to kernel section, is there something else I have to do?
2. I heard securebootmodel, forcesecurebootscheme, applesecureboot all has to related to this? I left everything to your default settings, If I wanna try out the wifi, do I need to mess with these three parameters?
3. I have been using your USBports.kext since day 1. I also disabled Xhciportlimit cause I am not using USBInjectAll. Do you mind taking a look at this?

1605104490617.png

I use sleep a lot, most of the time it works. However, sometimes the screen would just go black but the computer would stay on (with little power usage but awake none the less). Is it because of my USBPorts.kext that I copied from yours?

I just finished modifying the config to mine. I have been really wanna try out the new wifi support recently but the instruction is a bit confusing:
1. Besides adding kext to kernel section, is there something else I have to do?
2. I heard securebootmodel, forcesecurebootscheme, applesecureboot all has to related to this? I left everything to your default settings, If I wanna try out the wifi, do I need to mess with these three parameters?
3. I have been using your USBports.kext since day 1. I also disabled Xhciportlimit cause I am not using USBInjectAll. Do you mind taking a look at this?

View attachment 495160

I use sleep a lot, most of the time it works. However, sometimes the screen would just go black but the computer would stay on (with little power usage but awake none the less). Is it because of my USBPorts.kext that I copied from yours?
Points one and two I don't use that kext so I can't comment beyond its still in Alpha phase.
I'm on my phone so I can't check my USB configuration but I will try to spend some time on it later. You can try renabling Xhciportlimit and see if that helps

Points one and two I don't use that kext so I can't comment beyond its still in Alpha phase.
I'm on my phone so I can't check my USB configuration but I will try to spend some time on it later. You can try renabling Xhciportlimit and see if that helps
The thing about it is that it is not consistent. It sometimes happens and I really don’t know a way to trigger it. I can try renabling it but I would like to know your config first since I am using the same one as yours

The thing about it is that it is not consistent. It sometimes happens and I really don’t know a way to trigger it. I can try renabling it but I would like to know your config first since I am using the same one as yours
I redid my USB port configuration, basically the same but all it uses is the USBPorts.kext. You can just delete the older file and then copy and paste this newer USBPorts.kext in its place if you don't want to use the while EFI folder. I also updated the four main kexts too so up to you.

Attachments

• EFINUC8i7OC6.3 Big Sur Ready.zip
    12.1 MB · Views: 145
Back