Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Has anyone here tried to update to the beta 10 version of Mac OS BigSur?
I tried and failed, even using the OpenCore 0.6.3 on beta unfinished stage.
I've got Kernel Panic during boot.
After searching the internet, I found that disabling SecureBootModel allowed me to boot the system, but is not a good solution.
I wonder if anyone managed to upgrade without having to disable SecureBootModel.
I haven’t tried on this platform but on my Z490 after beta 9 it’s the only way it boots and that’s documented. Hopefully its a short term thing resolved by future releases but from what I’ve been reading disabling securebootmodel is not as significant an issue as disabling SIP.

Last edited:
Hey Lee, whats this SSDT-USBC.aml in ACPI? Does it replace the UIAC.aml. and is it required if you use a custom USBPorts.kext
Hey. It enables the USBc port on the back. It's not required for anything except that but without it you will not see those ports in Hackintool. Configuring your USB ports is still necessary.

have a nice day,
I have a Nuc7 device. I am installing Big Sur.
However, it resets at the exact ending point.
Can a friend share me the EFI file?

Thnks,

Hoping someone has better feedback for you than this, there has been some work on Thunderbolt Hot Plugging but until this past year or so it wasn't an available feature. One trick is to make sure you have legacy mode turned on in the bios, its under the security heading. That may or may not solve issue 1.
There is an available kext in progress to enable the intel wifi, its mentioned and linked in a post or two above yours. Again it's in development as well and connection speeds are nothing to write home about.
So I still haven't solved this issue, windoze updated and has messed up my boot order and I'm going to have to I spend some time sorting that out on the weekend.

I was playing around with the thunderbolt settings to see if I can get the eGPU to display on boot.
I managed to get the clover menu to show buy having legacy enabled and disabling legacy boot mode. The problem is, when I boot that way, Mac OS won't boot.

I'm at the point of selling my machine as I'm sick of plugging an HDMI in and out and double booting every morning to get both displays to work.

Has anybody got a suggestion, do I have it totally set up wrong?

It worked fine for a little while, then one day I did a bios update and forever more I've had issues. I just want to boot I to clover then into mac OS through thunderbolt

I might miss something in this long thread but I've been read over 200 pages. I have to set boot-args alcid=14 for my NUC8i5 internal MIC and front headphone audio both working correctly. Previous posts suggest setting layout id to either 28 or 3, but my results with 28 (SPK OK, MIC NG) and 3 (SPK NG, MIC OK) are not good on my side. Already trying every shared EFI to check differences but no one is working on my side. As an engineer always did something trial and run at work, I decide to try each value and I think it may help someone in the same boat so I would like to share this.

# My definition: MIC OK means Siri dictates my voice right, SPK OK means no distortion on audio playback.
thanks this worked on my nuc8i7beh my sound was really low now i have full volume audio

Recently I bought a AMD Radeon 5500XT eGPU and Razer Core X external ThunderBolt 3 box. Dual booting to windows 10 on NUC8i5 I can confirm the eGPU works as normally as on my MacBook Pro via NUC rear ThunderBolt port.

My problem with NUC8i5 on MacOS is the 5500XT was detected correctly in Graphics/Displays but no driver was loaded under Thunderblot.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 12.50.01 AM.png

Hackintool USB page shows no active indication on port TBTU.
Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 1.17.43 AM.png

And there's no e-GPU icon (given the option to disconnect the eGPU) in the menubar too.

I have tried Leesureone's shared NUC8 EFIs on page 90 but still no success on my side.
Is there anyone have a similar eGPU setup that works well on your configuration can share your experience or EFI folder to me? Thank you.

Recently I bought a AMD Radeon 5500XT eGPU and Razer Core X external ThunderBolt 3 box. Dual booting to windows 10 on NUC8i5 I can confirm the eGPU works as normally as on my MacBook Pro via NUC rear ThunderBolt port.

My problem with NUC8i5 on MacOS is the 5500XT was detected correctly in Graphics/Displays but no driver was loaded under Thunderblot.

View attachment 493249

Hackintool USB page shows no active indication on port TBTU.
View attachment 493252

And there's no e-GPU icon (given the option to disconnect the eGPU) in the menubar too.

I have tried Leesureone's shared NUC8 EFIs on page 90 but still no success on my side.
Is there anyone have a similar eGPU setup that works well on your configuration can share your experience or EFI folder to me? Thank you.
Long time lurker who has really benefitted from all the discussion here who may finally be able to help!

I've had an 5500XT 8GB in an Akitio Node connected via TB3 and had to do a few changes to get it working.

Legacy mode was enabled in the Nuc settings for Thunderbolt Bios (not sure if this was needed but that's how I have it)
I added "agdpmod=pikera" to the boot flags in my config.plist

Code:
                <key>SystemAudioVolume</key>
                <data>Rg==</data>
                <key>boot-args</key>
                <string>keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera</string>
                <key>csr-active-config</key>
                <data>AAAAAA==</data>
                <key>prev-lang:kbd</key>
                <string>en-US:0</string>

Lastly was to directly connect my DisplayPort cable to my EGPU. Good thing is for me that the EGPU seems to display the bios, OpenCore selector and Mac OS on my setup so it's all routing through the DP cable to my display.

I did disconnect the HDMI cable from the Nuc itself so everything runs on the EGPU. I had issues when dual booting Windows whenever the AMD Radeon drivers updated (it'd black screen on the egpu) so having a HDMI cable nearby for the onboard Intel graphics if you are dual booting might be worth it.

I've never had the GPU settings show up in Mac OS myself but as I was always using the EGPU for output anyway so that hasn't affected me just yet. You do lose a little performance when running the EGPU back through the TB cable to the Intel GPU so I wasn't really interested in doing that either.

And for info, my Thunderbolt section also shows "No drivers are loaded" even when I'm using the EGPU.

With any luck this might help in some way but anything else you may need, please do ask and I'll see what I can do for you.

The 5500XT is now in my Windows PC and the EGPU now has a RX 570 4GB in it for my nuc which is also working great.

Back