Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

You know there are Keats you can install to enable WiFi now? I haven’t tried them for awhile but others here have. Otherwise any WiFi dongle that works with Mac, check the reviews first, should work.
oh wow, can you share the post link?

How did you get it to work? Did you add that SSDT and then use hackintool to map your USB ports? Are you supposed to used the SSDT and map the USB ports with a kexts? Going back to your Nuc8 OC 0.6 folder on page 90 you don’t have the SSDT for to fix USB C. Does your usbc port work with that EFI folder? Maybe I should just replace mine with that?
I don't recall and I currently don't have any NUC8 models to work with. I have a new one on the way and hopefully I'll have it set up this weekend and can into this more with you.

This is latest beta Intel Wi-Fi kext, with some very good improvements.
  1. Supports all itlwm-supported devices.
  2. Supports native Wi-Fi selection and switching with WPA/WPA2/Unencrypted Wi-Fi Networks.
  3. Supports Location Services.
  4. Handoff and Universal Clipboard perfectly supported.(WOW):clap:
Bootloader Compatibility
Note:
OpenCore requires 0.6.1 or higher. Please read OpenCore's Official Document for more details.

Set SecureBootModel to Default to make sure IO80211Family loads properly.

Workaround for Users with Prelinked Kernel without ImmutableKernel

• Force IO80211Family to load. 「Supports OpenCore and Clover(not tested)」 (Read the Kernel - Force section in OpenCore's manual for more info) - THIS WORKED FOR ME ON NUC8i7BEH
  • Load AirportItlwm from Terminal (Continuity features may not work)
  • Extract IO80211Family from the system, insert AirportItlwm as a Plugin, and load the bundle with a bootloader.
  • Or disable SIP and install AirportItlwm into /Library/Extensions (Take your own risk)

I am attaching the kext and config.plist with necessary changes on Kernel - Add and Kernel - Force

Attachments

• Config.plist
    29.1 KB · Views: 146
  • NUC8I7BEH OC0.6.1-WI-FI.zip
    22.6 MB · Views: 172
  • AirportItlwm_v1.0_Beta_Catalina.kext.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 87
  • AirportItlwm_v1.0_Beta_BigSur.kext.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 118
I don't recall and I currently don't have any NUC8 models to work with. I have a new one on the way and hopefully I'll have it set up this weekend and can into this more with you.
Again thank you for all of your help. Attached is my EFI folder, before adding SSDT-TYPC-NUC8-BC.aml to the ACPI folder and the config.plist. I tried adding that SSDT. Then I tried replacing my USB map kext with the one from your NUC8OC6.0EFI zip file. I even tried it with USBInjectAll.kext and I set config.plist -> Kernel -> Quirks -> XhciPortLimit -> True. I used this guide to create everything. (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/) And this guide to map my USB ports (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...eparation.html#checking-what-renames-you-need). Then I compared my work to your NUC8OC6.0EFI zip file. Everything is working as expected except my USB-C port. I can't test thunderbolt, since I dont have any thunderbolt devices. Wi-Fi also isn't working, but I don't need that. Hoping you can help. Thank you!

Attachments

• NUC8i5BEK-OC0.6.0-EFI.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
Again thank you for all of your help. Attached is my EFI folder, before adding SSDT-TYPC-NUC8-BC.aml to the ACPI folder and the config.plist. I tried adding that SSDT. Then I tried replacing my USB map kext with the one from your NUC8OC6.0EFI zip file. I even tried it with USBInjectAll.kext and I set config.plist -> Kernel -> Quirks -> XhciPortLimit -> True. I used this guide to create everything. (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/) And this guide to map my USB ports (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...eparation.html#checking-what-renames-you-need). Then I compared my work to your NUC8OC6.0EFI zip file. Everything is working as expected except my USB-C port. I can't test thunderbolt, since I dont have any thunderbolt devices. Wi-Fi also isn't working, but I don't need that. Hoping you can help. Thank you!
I see a few things that could be messing with your USB configuration, I have a few ACPI patches Rehabman created. still use, that could be part of it. You are also using different SSDTs than my version, not sure that matters but it could. Again I don't have an NUC8 right now so will have to wait to test how USBc is behaving with my configuration before I can name anymore recommendations.

Did you try substituting my NUC8OC6.0 EFI folder on your USB Boot drive and seeing if it makes a difference?

2. Supports native Wi-Fi selection and switching with WPA/WPA2/Unencrypted Wi-Fi Networks.
Bootloader Compatibility
Note:
OpenCore requires 0.6.1 or higher. Please read OpenCore's Official Document for more details.

Set SecureBootModel to Default to make sure IO80211Family loads properly.

Workaround for Users with Prelinked Kernel without ImmutableKernel

• Force IO80211Family to load. 「Supports OpenCore and Clover(not tested)」 (Read the Kernel - Force section in OpenCore's manual for more info) - THIS WORKED FOR ME ON NUC8i7BEH
  • Load AirportItlwm from Terminal (Continuity features may not work)
  • Extract IO80211Family from the system, insert AirportItlwm as a Plugin, and load the bundle with a bootloader.
  • Or disable SIP and install AirportItlwm into /Library/Extensions (Take your own risk)

I am attaching the kext and config.plist with necessary changes on Kernel - Add and Kernel - Force
Thanks for sharing this info and also your setting EFI folder. It works on my NUC8i5BEH too without doing any changes to your EFI (only touch 3 serial numbers of course). Nothing broken and both native Wifi (though still slow compared to the ethernet) and handoff/clipboard works after one time re-sign in my apple account.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Great news for those of us that have M2 based storage and can't use the slot for a replacement WiFi card to enable Continuity/Handoff the traditional way on NUCs.

This EFI folder is also working on my NUC8i7BEH, continuity working after signing out and back in to iCloud.

Some other things I had to change in config.plist for it to better match the original one I was using from leesureone:

- serial number related fields copied over with personal SN data (this one should be obvious)
- boot rom field copied over
- ui scale to 3 for correctly sized apple boot logo
- timeout and enabling boot menu display (however this is personal preference as I dual boot with Win)

Thanks for sharing this info and also your setting EFI folder. It works on my NUC8i5BEH too without doing any changes to your EFI (only touch 3 serial numbers of course). Nothing broken and both native Wifi (though still slow compared to the ethernet) and handoff/clipboard works after one time re-sign in my apple account.

EDIT: Disregard. Sleep was not happening due to an active VNC (screen sharing) session. Sleep works fine after killing the remote session. User error :/
The errors in wifi.log were red herrings. I do wonder though if the mac features of delivering notifications during sleep works here or not.

drfrag, winson901 - is sleep working for either of you with Intel WiFi enabled? (through the beta AirportItlwm.kext?)

My screen just goes blank and the NUC doesn't enter sleep mode (front LED doesn't flash blue). I had a poke around the system logs in Console and found this in wifi.log after each sleep attempt.

Curious if you are seeing the same? If so I will file a github issue. Can't see this documented anywhere on the repo as a known issue.

Code:
Thu Sep 24 09:43:59.615 <airportd[195]> psCallback: set powersave(7) failed, 5 (Input/output error)
Thu Sep 24 09:44:11.740 <airportd[195]> psCallback: set powersave(7) failed, 5 (Input/output error)
Thu Sep 24 09:44:11.765 <airportd[195]> ERROR: rapportd (348) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.join_history, will not allow request
Thu Sep 24 09:44:11.766 <airportd[195]> ERROR: sharingd (421) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.join_history, will not allow request

Last edited:
I see a few things that could be messing with your USB configuration, I have a few ACPI patches Rehabman created. still use, that could be part of it. You are also using different SSDTs than my version, not sure that matters but it could. Again I don't have an NUC8 right now so will have to wait to test how USBc is behaving with my configuration before I can name anymore recommendations.

Did you try substituting my NUC8OC6.0 EFI folder on your USB Boot drive and seeing if it makes a difference?
Let me know how it goes with your USB-C when you get your NUC8. I'm very interested in the steps you take to get it working. I didn't try substituting your NUC8OC6.0 EFI folder, because then I won't learn what was causing my problems and how to fix them. I think it has something to do with my SSDT-EC-USBX-LAPTOP.aml, but I don't know what.

Back