Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Hello from Spain! My sister gave me her nuc8i3beh2 (she just got a new 10gen i5 Nuc) and I wanted to install Mac OS on it. I was a hackintosh user long time ago and it seems like this got quite easier but...you still need to do some work :lol:. I ordered a BCM94360CD wifi/bt card and its M2 adapter to have almost all the features available but I can't find the cable that links the usb internal connector to the M2 adapter, does anyone know where to get it? (I found this thread because of a message that someone posted about ordering them to a chinese factory but...it was 2 years ago :|)

PD: sorry if I commited many mistakes in English :mrgreen:

Well in my time working with these NUCs I've found updating the bios makes very little difference, if any, in how they work in OS X. What is it you are unhappy with?

I remember when the BIOS versions were still in the 50s, there was a time when I updated only to find out that I could no longer boot hackintosh, and luckily, it was possible to downgrade. Hence my wariness to adopt BIOSes which do not allow downgrades.

This time around, I'm interested to try out OpenCore 0.6.0 and strangely enough, my BIOS 0078 lost the ability to boot UEFI USBs. Now it seems I can't even clean-install Windows! Do you know a way to remedy this without having to update BIOS?

Hello from Spain! My sister gave me her nuc8i3beh2 (she just got a new 10gen i5 Nuc) and I wanted to install Mac OS on it. I was a hackintosh user long time ago and it seems like this got quite easier but...you still need to do some work :lol:. I ordered a BCM94360CD wifi/bt card and its M2 adapter to have almost all the features available but I can't find the cable that links the usb internal connector to the M2 adapter, does anyone know where to get it? (I found this thread because of a message that someone posted about ordering them to a chinese factory but...it was 2 years ago :|)

PD: sorry if I commited many mistakes in English :mrgreen:
See here, there may be an actual cable available you don't have to make. Try searching for the connector names
Adapter Info.png

I remember when the BIOS versions were still in the 50s, there was a time when I updated only to find out that I could no longer boot hackintosh, and luckily, it was possible to downgrade. Hence my wariness to adopt BIOSes which do not allow downgrades.

This time around, I'm interested to try out OpenCore 0.6.0 and strangely enough, my BIOS 0078 lost the ability to boot UEFI USBs. Now it seems I can't even clean-install Windows! Do you know a way to remedy this without having to update BIOS?
Try retting the NVRAM at the boot menu, if that doesn't work then I've used EasyUEFI which is a utility for windows that allows editing of EUFI boot options. Its a little tough to figure out but works nicely and is free for 30 days or something. Hint: Use the Green Plus sign to add a UEFI boot option, change it to "Linux or Other" and then navigate to the EFI portion on your OS X boot drive and then dig in to OC/Boot to find the .efi

See here, there may be an actual cable available you don't have to make. Try searching for the connector names
is the 1.25 JST the same as MOLEX picoblade? The 1.25 space between pins is the same but I think that the external shape of the connector is different

is the 1.25 JST the same as MOLEX picoblade? The 1.25 space between pins is the same but I think that the external shape of the connector is different
Without searching for that information myself I can’t say

Try retting the NVRAM at the boot menu, if that doesn't work then I've used EasyUEFI which is a utility for windows that allows editing of EUFI boot options. Its a little tough to figure out but works nicely and is free for 30 days or something. Hint: Use the Green Plus sign to add a UEFI boot option, change it to "Linux or Other" and then navigate to the EFI portion on your OS X boot drive and then dig in to OC/Boot to find the .efi

Thanks! I followed your advise to use EasyUEFI, and I am now writing this post on my NUC8's macOS 10.15.6 partition booted from a USB using your own OpenCore 0.6.0 EFI from page 90. I am much obliged to you, sir, cheers!

This is what I have on my NUC8i5BEH, my BT and wifi both work.

Hello buddy, do you mind sharing your EFI? I have like 2 days trying to install Catalina and no luck so far :(, already try with a lot of opencore efis and nothing.

Greetings

This is what I have on my NUC8i5BEH, my BT and wifi both work.

are you using usb wifi?
as far as I remember the soldered wifi module in nuc8 isn't supported.

To new users trying to load Mojave or Catalina on an NUC8x please be aware this guide is no longer being maintained.
With recent bios updates being pushed out by Intel above version 56 as well as updates by Apple to Mojave beyond 14.2 the guide has become outdated and no longer works as is.

Two additional things are needed at a minimum to be able to reach the Mojave or Catalina install window.

1. An updated version of the Clover bootloader must be installed, I suggest version 5107 or higher, although slightly older versions will probably work but have not been tested. Rehabman’s version available through the terminal commands in his original guide on Github will cause the installer to halt.

2. An updated config.plist containing an ACPI/DSDT/Patch for an RTC issue that will also cause the installer to stall if your bios is a version higher than 56

***Some users are also apparently unaware that their Samsung 970 EVO plus SSD will also cause install failure if the firmware is not updated first. Visit the Samsung Website for instructions on how to create a bootable USB drive for firmware updates.

The attached EFI folder has all of the above as well as some fixes for onboard Audio and USB C functionality and Bluetooth.

If you decide to use it it’s as simple as creating a bootable USB drive using UniBeast, mounting the invisible EFI partition on the USB drive and then replacing the EFI folder with the attached.

Once OSX install is complete repeat the process of mounting the EFI folder on your hard drive and again replace the EFI folder with the same attached folder to finish the job. Afterwards I highly suggest you use Clover Configurator to create a unique serial number for working iCloud and iMessage (although “continuity” is not an issue unless you have gone the route of adding a Wireless/ Bluetooth card in the one available M2 slot with the appropriate adapter mentioned in various NUC posts).
Being you are creating a Hackintosh be aware even if you have the exact same model there can be issues. I do not have all the answers and am not at the level of the moderators but will try to help you sort out whatever. Cheers and good luck.

Edit: If you are installing Mojave and have issues with crackling sound from the headphone jack several users have reported success installing all kexts, with the exception of FakeSMC.kext, to the Library/Extensions folder. Audio over HDMI and the headphone jack both should work. This will not work in Catalina but you can change the Layout ID using Hackintool as described here by JayMonkey
an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063

EFI History
Updated NUC8EFICatClover and EFINUC7Cat15.4 with Clover Version 5107, Catalina 10.15.4 Ready 3/27/20
Also Added Updated OpenCore 5.6
3/23/20 Added Intel Bluetooth kext to both OC and Clover Versions
4/9/20 Added Simplified NUC8 OC5.7 version, everything works except Wireless and Card Reader. Catalina Tested
4/11/20 Added NUC7 OC5.7. Testing still needed but I think everything except wireless is working
5/5/20 Added NUC8 OC5.8 with USB set to enable internal headers. Please test and report back
6/3/20 Added NUC8 OC5.9 No Internal Headers
6/5/20 Added NUC7 OC5.9 No Internal Headers
6/5/20 Added NUC10 i7 and NUC10 i5 basic OC 5.9 EFI folders
6/18/20 Added Updated NUC10i7 OC5.9 New and Improved
8/5/20 Added NUC8 OC6.0
Thanks @Leesureone. I upgraded today from Clover to OC 6.0 with your preconfigured zip file on a nuc8i5beh. Things went smoothly. Would have not gotten through this upgrade without you!

Back