Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Does the behavior repeat itself in other operating systems? Linux or Windows?

i just installed Windows on a separate drive and it's doing the same thing, for sure a hardware issue, time to contact intel again. sigh.

i just installed Windows on a separate drive and it's doing the same thing, for sure a hardware issue, time to contact intel again. sigh.
That really sux

thank you, tried, but same result : (
Damn I am getting my replacement next week as well, I truly hope it is smooth like butter :(
However, if Windows is not having fun then I suppose it is the machine's fault again then

Which boot loader are you using? Also did you set up the right Device Properties for your graphics iGPU in your config.plist?
I'm on Clover; ig platform id is 0x3EA50000 (Iris Plus 655). I also tried applegraphicsDevicePolicy Kext patch, but no change.

I'm on Clover; ig platform id is 0x3EA50000 (Iris Plus 655). I also tried applegraphicsDevicePolicy Kext patch, but no change.
Restore your original AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext and use Hackintool to try other device IDs. There are several that work with the Iris Plus 655, I'm using 0x3EA50009.

Are both your monitors the same type? Choice of cables, ports and differences in the type of monitor themselves can make a difference.
It was a long standing issue with the NUCs, to get two displays working only one could be plugged in at boot, once OS X finished loading you could plug in the second. I don't have that issue anymore.

0x3EA50009.png

Damn I am getting my replacement next week as well, I truly hope it is smooth like butter :(
However, if Windows is not having fun then I suppose it is the machine's fault again then
what happened to yours?

what happened to yours?
Like yours, mine already has a personality since day 1, back then the input audio was never received from the jack, and the audio would always crack on the second trial. It was clover phase, I was noob, tried everything kext location, CodecCom,...etc. Didn't work, then the fan one day got stuck on its own. That was my first replacement this year.
Got a new one, worked perfectly except audio input even when migrating to OC. Recently, I learned how to change layout ID and ppl also got their prob fixed through this, fixed everything.
And just a few days ago, I realized that audio input is only accepted at certain rotation - tested on Windows and MacOS, meaning you gotta plug it at the sweet spot. Asked for an RMA, sending mine tomorrow, should arrive tuesday.
Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Restore your original AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext and use Hackintool to try other device IDs. There are several that work with the Iris Plus 655, I'm using 0x3EA50009.

Are both your monitors the same type? Choice of cables, ports and differences in the type of monitor themselves can make a difference.
It was a long standing issue with the NUCs, to get two displays working only one could be plugged in at boot, once OS X finished loading you could plug in the second. I don't have that issue anymore.
Okay, so if I change the platform ID in clover it doesnt seem to be recognized in Hackintool, so I gather I'm doing something wrong...?

Edit: I managed to get it to change, but I feel like the issue might be (after reading more cases) the actual adapter. I'll get something more direct and circle back in case it doesnt fix the issue. THX!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 12.57.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 12.57.55 PM.png
    199.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Okay, so if I change the platform ID in clover it doesnt seem to be recognized in Hackintool, so I gather I'm doing something wrong...?

Edit: I managed to get it to change, but I feel like the issue might be (after reading more cases) the actual adapter. I'll get something more direct and circle back in case it doesnt fix the issue. THX!
On page 90 here #894 I've got some EFI folders you can test drive, the clover version isn't updated though. Meanwhile it wouldn't surprise me if it was the cable or adapter. That's been reported here enough.

Like yours, mine already has a personality since day 1, back then the input audio was never received from the jack, and the audio would always crack on the second trial. It was clover phase, I was noob, tried everything kext location, CodecCom,...etc. Didn't work, then the fan one day got stuck on its own. That was my first replacement this year.
Got a new one, worked perfectly except audio input even when migrating to OC. Recently, I learned how to change layout ID and ppl also got their prob fixed through this, fixed everything.
And just a few days ago, I realized that audio input is only accepted at certain rotation - tested on Windows and MacOS, meaning you gotta plug it at the sweet spot. Asked for an RMA, sending mine tomorrow, should arrive tuesday.
Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

hahaha, good post. Hopefully our replacements NUC are ok, like you, I fear the next one will have a different flaw. I just have to start another case tomorrow, tried on Friday, but the customer support was closed.
Good luck to us!

Back