Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Thanks for the response! Welp. If I get some free time I’ll try to port it and post the results.
Would also be interested to understand if the NUC7i7DNKE works well with OC before i would start a project and buy one. Did you swap the wifi adaptor?

Running the NUC7i3BNH and trying to get BT working. Can someone point me towards the post for enabling the internal USB headers? I'm trying to search for it and just can't find it.

Hello all, I'm having a strange issue with getting audio via HDMI, and I'm hoping someone can help.

TL;DR HDMI audio used to work, after Migration Assistant, it stopped working.

I have an Intel NUC7i7BNH (Core i7-7567U, 32GB RAM, 256GB M.2 SATA SSD) that I setup using RehabMan's guide. I didn't dig deep in this post initially, so I had no idea that wasn't the right way anymore. I'll post separately about my issues trying to use Leesureone's EFIs.

I started with a basic install of High Sierra, then directly updated to Catalina. The only issues I had were graphics glitches (fixed by setting ProductName to iMac16,2) and BT/WiFi not working (unresolved). Ethernet, HDMI audio, App Store, iCloud, Time Machine, all the stuff I cared about worked.

Since I was happy with everything on this great little system, I went ahead and used Migration Assistant to transfer all my users/apps/files from my OS X 10.10 Yosemite system. Most of the data copied successfully, whatever didn't I did manually via rsync on the command line. After a reboot, I noticed HDMI audio no longer works. "System Information > Hardware > Audio" shows no devices. No Input or Output devices under "System Preferences > Sound".

I updated to the latest Clover (r5071), that didn't help. I made sure all kexts were up to date, that didn't help. I tried wiping out my EFI partition and starting over, that didn't help. I tried looking up info on troubleshooting AppleALC issues, but it's way over my head. In hindsight, maybe I should have just used rsync rather than Migration Assistant. Or maybe it is just a coincidence and something else I did messed up HDMI audio.

Can anyone offer some guidance? Thanks in advance!
I have found that, counter to what apple says, migration assistant messes with kexts in /Library/Extensions.

before you used migration assistant, where did you have AppleALC installed? go to that location now and see if it is still there, and if it is, check to see that it is the latest version.

Hello all, I'm having a strange issue with getting audio via HDMI, and I'm hoping someone can help.

TL;DR HDMI audio used to work, after Migration Assistant, it stopped working.

I have an Intel NUC7i7BNH (Core i7-7567U, 32GB RAM, 256GB M.2 SATA SSD) that I setup using RehabMan's guide. I didn't dig deep in this post initially, so I had no idea that wasn't the right way anymore. I'll post separately about my issues trying to use Leesureone's EFIs.

I started with a basic install of High Sierra, then directly updated to Catalina. The only issues I had were graphics glitches (fixed by setting ProductName to iMac16,2) and BT/WiFi not working (unresolved). Ethernet, HDMI audio, App Store, iCloud, Time Machine, all the stuff I cared about worked.

Since I was happy with everything on this great little system, I went ahead and used Migration Assistant to transfer all my users/apps/files from my OS X 10.10 Yosemite system. Most of the data copied successfully, whatever didn't I did manually via rsync on the command line. After a reboot, I noticed HDMI audio no longer works. "System Information > Hardware > Audio" shows no devices. No Input or Output devices under "System Preferences > Sound".

I updated to the latest Clover (r5107), that didn't help. I made sure all kexts were up to date, that didn't help. I tried wiping out my EFI partition and starting over, that didn't help. I tried looking up info on troubleshooting AppleALC issues, but it's way over my head. In hindsight, maybe I should have just used rsync rather than Migration Assistant. Or maybe it is just a coincidence and something else I did messed up HDMI audio.

Can anyone offer some guidance? Thanks in advance!
Almost impossible to say what happened, I have some good guesses but without more information that's all I can offer. You can check and see if you have duplicate kexts in Library\ Extensions and Clover\ Kexts\other. For Catalina all your kexts should be in the later location.

If you want post your EFI folder and a snap shot of Finder showing the contents of Library\ Extensions I'll take a look. You can also always start over or one other option, I have an OpenCore EFI folder for the NUC7 model you have post on page 90 of this thread that works but its a big change of you are used to Clover. I think my Clover NUC7 EFI folder posted there is outdated but it might work too.

If you want post your EFI folder and a snap shot of Finder showing the contents of Library\ Extensions I'll take a look.

I took a look in /Library/Extensions/ and see several of the same kexts as in my Clover directory. I've attached screenshots. In /Library/Extensions/ I see AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, XHCI-unsupported, USBInjectAll, SATA-unsupported, IntelMausiEthernet. FakeSMC. I guess these conflict with what is in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/?

Thanks faithie999 and Leesureone for the quick response!

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 2.05.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 2.06.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 2.16.28 AM.png

I took a look in /Library/Extensions/ and see several of the same kexts as in my Clover directory. I've attached screenshots. In /Library/Extensions/ I see AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, XHCI-unsupported, USBInjectAll, SATA-unsupported, IntelMausiEthernet. FakeSMC. I guess these conflict with what is in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/?

Thanks faithie999 and Leesureone for the quick response!

View attachment 475217

View attachment 475218

View attachment 475219
Right, you are double loading kexts and you also are loading HDAEnabler1.kext from L/E. Thats an old school fix for sound that is also going to mess with your sound setup. Delete it and the the other kexts you identified and then rebuild the kextcache using this command in terminal:

sudo kextcache -i /

These are the kexts I was loading using Clover, about the same as you and this is th information I have in the config.plist for audio

kexts.png

Configplist audio.png

Right, you are double loading kexts and you also are loading HDAEnabler1.kext from L/E. .....

Okay, I removed the duplicate kexts, rebuilt the cache, edited my config.plist, rebooted... and it worked!

I had a feeling something like that happened after Migration Assistant, but I was hesitant to mess around in what I perceived as default OS directories. Thanks for your guidance.

I'm interested in running OpenCore, but I had some issues testing out your EFI zips via USB. I will try again now that my audio issues are out of the way. I'll post soon with more details.

hello,
On my nuc8I5BEH, my samsung 970EVO plus SSD has a maximum measured speed of 2700Mb/s while it is announced on the docs at 3500Mb/s, can you tell me if this is normal?
Thanks

hello,
On my nuc8I5BEH, my samsung 970EVO plus SSD has a maximum measured speed of 2700Mb/s while it is announced on the docs at 3500Mb/s, can you tell me if this is normal?
Thanks
Yes, that's normal. That speed only appears when there is zero to little buffer. In which case, it does not happen so often.

An oblivious-please-don't-hurt-me-for-trying-to-help tip: If you dual boot using opencore, NVRAM and SMBIOS is also loaded into Windows. In everyday use case, it is completely normal. However, updating Bios will notify incompatibility and driver updates is not so stable. Therefore, my suggestion is to use F10 menu to force boot using Windows boot manager, update everything. When you are done just change back to opencore.

Back