Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on an issue I'm having. I previously used this guide to build a Mojave NUC8i7BEH. Worked fine. I tried to make a clean install to Catalina and I got it to work, but only booting from the USB and in safe mode. Not good.
So I tried the open core method. But I'm super confused because I reformatted the USB and made it again using the OPEN core method. Then I dumped Leesureone's OpenCore efi from page 90.
When I go to install I'm still seeing the clover menu (I did copy a clover EFI to the internal HD's EFI partition). Is this right? Do I need to change my PCs boot priorities to USB first?

In any case after I run it in verbose I get this line and it hangs:

PCI configuration end, bridges 7, devices 14 ]

If anyone knows what I might be doing wrong I would appreciate it. Is there more patching that I have to do? Previously I just drag and dropped the EFI folder with Mojave and it worked, but maybe I'm missing a step with patches or something?
If the Clover menu is showing you are still booting from the hardrive so change the bios to boot from the USB drive first or hit the appropriate “F“ key too be able to access the boot menu. I think it’s F10 but I forget, it prompts you at boot anyway as too the correct key.

I know I am asking too many questions in this thread. This one is not even that important cause it does not represent a problem. Just a weird observation:

When my 4k display is connected via HDMI using the built-in port of my NUC, it shows weird graphical artefacts upon boot, resolvable by plugging HDMI out and then plugging back in. When connected with an HDMI-USBC dongle (the white one from Apple that has an HDMI out, a USB 3.0, and another USB-C for Thunderbolt 3 daisy chaining), the machine has noticeable visual output lag. Not critical, just slightly annoying at times. When connected via a USBC-DisplayPort dongle (the most basic one from HAMA), I experience neither of these issues; however, my monitor, while being HDR10 capable, for some reason uses DisplayPort 1.2 that is not HDR-capable at 4k/60Hz. I don't watch a lot of HDR content (tbh I've never tried it on my NUC since I have a full-blown home theater setup in my living room), so for now I am using the USBC-DP connection option, but it's really weird that both ways to connect with HDMI are problematic.

Can anyone comment on this?

I know I am asking too many questions in this thread. This one is not even that important cause it does not represent a problem. Just a weird observation:

When my 4k display is connected via HDMI using the built-in port of my NUC, it shows weird graphical artefacts upon boot, resolvable by plugging HDMI out and then plugging back in. When connected with an HDMI-USBC dongle (the white one from Apple that has an HDMI out, a USB 3.0, and another USB-C for Thunderbolt 3 daisy chaining), the machine has noticeable visual output lag. Not critical, just slightly annoying at times. When connected via a USBC-DisplayPort dongle (the most basic one from HAMA), I experience neither of these issues; however, my monitor, while being HDR10 capable, for some reason uses DisplayPort 1.2 that is not HDR-capable at 4k/60Hz. I don't watch a lot of HDR content (tbh I've never tried it on my NUC since I have a full-blown home theater setup in my living room), so for now I am using the USBC-DP connection option, but it's really weird that both ways to connect with HDMI are problematic.

Can anyone comment on this?
You can update your HDMI firmware via Intels support downloads for your device and see if that helps.

If the Clover menu is showing you are still booting from the hardrive so change the bios to boot from the USB drive first or hit the appropriate “F“ key too be able to access the boot menu. I think it’s F10 but I forget, it prompts you at boot anyway as too the correct key.

You are correct. I don't know how it didn't spot it. Sleep deprivation I guess. It's all running fine and I'm migrating my Mojave back up as we speak. I actually figured it out a few mins after I posted here, but then I was busy fixing it. Thanks again for all your help.

The EFI for OpenCore works like a charm, but the plist seems empty. Usually they have a bunch of stuff filled in when you look at clover configurator. I currently don't have iMessage. Do I just need to add serial numbers and if so is there a guide somewhere?
I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be MacMini8,1 but the OpenCore guide talks about MacPro. Can anyone help?

The EFI for OpenCore works like a charm, but the plist seems empty. Usually they have a bunch of stuff filled in when you look at clover configurator. I currently don't have iMessage. Do I just need to add serial numbers and if so is there a guide somewhere?
I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be MacMini8,1 but the OpenCore guide talks about MacPro. Can anyone help?
Totally different approach and you cannot use Clover Configurator. OpenCore Configurator is available but unreliable. Google Vannila Guide to OpenCore and there is excellent documentation along with a list of utilities of which one will make changes to your Symbios and add serial numbers. You can stay with the macmini8,1 no need to change it.

I have both NUC8i5BEH and NUC8i7BEH, with exact EFI folders, except I changed SMBIOS info.
For some reason, the intel bluetooth on the i7 works with the provided kext, but not on the i5. Tried reseting the NVRAM but no difference.

Also, I tried installing installing BCM94360CS2 with M.2 NGFF Key B+M Adapter posted on sarkrui's site, https://github.com/sarkrui/NUC8i7BEH-Hackintosh-Build.

wifi works, but haven't been able to get the BT out of the wifi card. I also changed the USB port configuration, but BT would not work.

Anyone successful on getting this wifi card work, including the BT?

thanks

I'm having a hard time inderstanding your explanation of what you are trying to do. I think you maybe are confused as to the next step after the create media commands complete. Once that's done use clover configurator to mount the EFI partition on the flash drive. Erase the EFI folder there, empty the trash, then copy my EFI folder onto it and you should be good.
I can understand you're having difficulty with my confusion... So am I. I finally have an idea of what the EFI partition and folder do in the scheme of things. My problem currently is that I do not seem to have an EFI partition to mount with Clover Configurator. I mentioned using CC above. It did not list the EFI folder. I could not swap out the EFI folders as required. That is why I had put a Fat32 partition in one of my attempts to make a bootable drive. I since was able to re-partition it back to one partition. The
I'm having a hard time inderstanding your explanation of what you are trying to do. I think you maybe are confused as to the next step after the create media commands complete. Once that's done use clover configurator to mount the EFI partition on the flash drive. Erase the EFI folder there, empty the trash, then copy my EFI folder onto it and you should be good.
Well, I am almost good. The NUC8i7 is running Catalina with headphone jack sound, USBs, BT, and video etc. All is good except that it goes to sleep and upon me waking up the NUC with a bump on the mouse and keyboard, the desktop pops up and as I am typing in my password, the unit Re-Boots. It will reboot regardless of what I do. I put the EFI in a second time to hopefully ensure that I used the correct EFI. Nothing seems to work to stop the re-booting. I saw a post about USB configuration being necessary to fix a problem with sleep implementation. Should I do a re-config of USB setup? If so do you have the post or files? I am trying to find the post. The UUC seems to be running slow. It had a very difficult time expanding one of the Leesureone Zip files. I copied the file to the NUC sata SSD and it expanded in a flash. It took an unbelieveable long time expanding from the USB 3.0 TD.

I have both NUC8i5BEH and NUC8i7BEH, with exact EFI folders, except I changed SMBIOS info.
For some reason, the intel bluetooth on the i7 works with the provided kext, but not on the i5. Tried reseting the NVRAM but no difference.

Also, I tried installing installing BCM94360CS2 with M.2 NGFF Key B+M Adapter posted on sarkrui's site, https://github.com/sarkrui/NUC8i7BEH-Hackintosh-Build.

wifi works, but haven't been able to get the BT out of the wifi card. I also changed the USB port configuration, but BT would not work.

Anyone successful on getting this wifi card work, including the BT?

thanks

Ok, I figured it out, got everything working on the NUC8i7BEH, couple things, I soldered the wrong wires onto the internal headers AND the internal USB headers were not configured appropriately, everything works now.

HOWEVER, the NUC8i5BEH, for some reason, I can't get the BT to work on the wifi card or the Intel BT that came with it, anyone has been able to have the BT on the NUC8i5BEH to work, have essentially the same EFI folder with different Serial and SmUUID's.

I wonder if it is BIOS related, have 71 on the i7 and the latest, 79 on the i5, I'll try to downgrade.

any input would be appreciated.

Ok, I figured it out, got everything working on the NUC8i7BEH, couple things, I soldered the wrong wires onto the internal headers AND the internal USB headers were not configured appropriately, everything works now.

HOWEVER, the NUC8i5BEH, for some reason, I can't get the BT to work on the wifi card or the Intel BT that came with it, anyone has been able to have the BT on the NUC8i5BEH to work, have essentially the same EFI folder with different Serial and SmUUID's.

I wonder if it is BIOS related, have 71 on the i7 and the latest, 79 on the i5, I'll try to downgrade.

any input would be appreciated.
Thats awesome you got the i7 adapter working. I've thought about setting one up just to be able to document the process for the community. Would you consider sharing your new found knowledge?

On another note that is damn strange about the i5. Essentially it's the same model but for whatever reason the i7 users have problems using the USBSSDT that works for the i3 and i5s. Could be a USB issue being that's a requirement, be my guess anyway.
Bluetooth is working on both my Nuc8i5 and Nuc7i7 with the kext.

Back