Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

I haven't tested it yet, I have some questions. Will this break at each update? Can it be made into a kext eventually? you know this is awesome. The NUC8 can see its BT in MacOS but doesn't work. I was sure it could be enabled. Does Handoff work too with your fix?

1) I suppose there will be no problem with updates, don't see the reason why it would break.
2) No experience in making kexts and no spare time to dig into it at the moment. Maybe some kext guru can help on this one.
3) I don't know about handoff, never tried it.

In general, this has been working fine for me for the past month with everyday usage.

1) I suppose there will be no problem with updates, don't see the reason why it would break.
2) No experience in making kexts and no spare time to dig into it at the moment. Maybe some kext guru can help on this one.
3) I don't know about handoff, never tried it.

In general, this has been working fine for me for the past month with everyday usage.
Anyway you can do a quick walk through of the steps you took? I'm sure it would be appreciated by those, myself included, who are trying to follow in your foot steps. Nice work btw.

Last edited:
Well, my Nucintosh is looking better and better by the day. Now one thing is left. I have an AMD RX480 I want to use in a Thunderbolt enclosure.

- Is it going to work at all?
- Am I going to be able to see the Clover startup selector menu from the eGPU at boot?

Thunderbolt 3 installation on desktop has been disastrous. Do I need to do something on NUC, or will it just work?

Well, my Nucintosh is looking better and better by the day. Now one thing is left. I have an AMD RX480 I want to use in a Thunderbolt enclosure.

- Is it going to work at all?
- Am I going to be able to see the Clover startup selector menu from the eGPU at boot?

Thunderbolt 3 installation on desktop has been disastrous. Do I need to do something on NUC, or will it just work?

It can work but do your research and determine what you purchase to complete your set up is compatible. I always also make sure I can return whatever I buy just in case. I've pasted a link below with one example of an NUC running with an eGPU set up. The RX480 is reportedly still working out of the box with Catalina.

This link has one of the most comprehensive lists of compatible Thunderbolt/ Hack devices I've ever seen but nothing I regarding eGPU enclosures because its written about a full fledged motherboard with PCIe slots. You can always try googling eGPU Hackintosh or whatever and see what comes up. I saw a post saying the Razer Core X was working for him.

It can work but do your research and determine what you purchase to complete your set up is compatible. I always also make sure I can return whatever I buy just in case. I've pasted a link below with one example of an NUC running with an eGPU set up. The RX480 is reportedly still working out of the box with Catalina.

This link has one of the most comprehensive lists of compatible Thunderbolt/ Hack devices I've ever seen but nothing I regarding eGPU enclosures because its written about a full fledged motherboard with PCIe slots. You can always try googling eGPU Hackintosh or whatever and see what comes up. I saw a post saying the Razer Core X was working for him.

I know the RX480 works out of the box. I used it on my main rig before I added a thunderbolt card that destroyed my hackintosh setup.

I wanted to buy this eGPU box: it's classy and in tint with the NUC https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards-Accessories/XG-STATION-PRO/

I wish USB Wireless/ Bluetooth adapters worked that way, there is a possible solution to get the onboard Bluetooth working though. @Nemphys wrote a script that has done the trick for several users, haven't tried it myself. Here is the link #2,069

I downloaded the .sip, revealed hidden files on the root of my main drive and added the folders (or the files within the folders if they existed already) repaired permissions, and rebooted.

Nada.

Bluetooth is permanetly ON and can't be turned off or add any device. Just like before. I also deleted the preference file, but alas, to no avail. Have I done something wrong?

I downloaded the .sip, revealed hidden files on the root of my main drive and added the folders (or the files within the folders if they existed already) repaired permissions, and rebooted.

Nada.

Bluetooth is permanetly ON and can't be turned off or add any device. Just like before. I also deleted the preference file, but alas, to no avail. Have I done something wrong?
I probably shouldn't have linked his post without trying it myself first. @Nemphys made it work, and I think one or two other folks, but I haven't been able to update the firmware which I understand is the first step. Once that is done then I think all you have to do is to add his two folders to the EFI/ Clover directory. Could be wrong. I've also asked @Nemphys if he can help clarify the steps in more detail so its a little less guess work.

I know the RX480 works out of the box. I used it on my main rig before I added a thunderbolt card that destroyed my hackintosh setup.

I wanted to buy this eGPU box: it's classy and in tint with the NUC https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards-Accessories/XG-STATION-PRO/
Not sure its an issue but they don't list your video card in the compatible AMD video cards.

Compatible with NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 900 series, GTX 10 series, GTX 16 series, RTX 20 series, RTX SUPER series, and AMD Radeon RX 5700XT/5700/5600 XT/590/580/570, and Radeon Pro WX7100.

I think I would go this route instead but you might be okay

I probably shouldn't have linked his post without trying it myself first. @Nemphys made it work, and I think one or two other folks, but I haven't been able to update the firmware which I understand is the first step. Once that is done then I think all you have to do is to add his two folders to the EFI/ Clover directory. Could be wrong. I've also asked @Nemphys if he can help clarify the steps in more detail so its a little less guess work.

Oh, shoot. I missed the firmware update part. Where can I get more info about it?

Back