Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Thanks a lot!

I could do it on my own and now I have just 9 USB Devices instead of 20.
4x HS (02 - 05)
HS08 (For Internal BT)
4x SS (02 - 05)

But unfortunately the Sleep is still not working.

I did now the FAQ with the working PM (what makes the device much quieter and much cooler)
Tried todo everything with my AMLs.

Have someone Ideas left?

Attached you can find my EFI-Folder.

Greetings,

PS.: I'm very thankful for any Help!!
I just noticed you are loading four .aml files. Try it with just the two listed even if you are eliminating the custom SSDT you just made, the second .aml file has USB information as well. Try it as a test. See below. If that doesn't work eliminate just the CPU.aml you added and try again.

ACPI Patched.png

Finally if that doesn't work then try below.
What is in your Library/ Extensions folder? The same kexts of what is in your EFI/clover/ kexts/other/ folder? If so load all kexts in Library/ Extensions deleting everything except FakeSMC.kext in kexts/other and try again. The scripts duplicate the kext location sometimes although I'm not sure you used the scripts.

Also I think you'll want to change your Symbios to an older model iMac 16,2 at some point, thats' how Rehabman had that model set up.

Last edited:
I just noticed you are loading four .aml files. Try it with just the two listed even if you are eliminating the custom SSDT you just made, the second .aml file has USB information as well. Try it as a test. See below. If that doesn't work eliminate just the CPU.aml you added and try again.

View attachment 439460

Finally if that doesn't work then try below.
What is in your Library/ Extensions folder? The same kexts of what is in your EFI/clover/ kexts/other/ folder? If so load all kexts in Library/ Extensions deleting everything except FakeSMC.kext in kexts/other and try again. The scripts duplicate the kext location sometimes although I'm not sure you used the scripts.

Also I think you'll want to change your Symbios to an older model iMac 16,2 at some point, thats' how Rehabman had that model set up.
Hi there,

I tried everything you say, in my kext folder/other is only FakeSMC left.
I tried also to boot with different SSDT configs, but none brings me to Sleep.

I Tried:
USB-Fix + CPU
NUC7DC + CPU
NUC7DC + USB
NONE
CPU
USB
NUC7DC

unfortunately none of this worked for me, I guess something else is missing or don't know.

The last thing what's left is to set to iMac16,2 but I tried this before and it didn't work also, but I can try it again with all the new knowledge.

EDIT: The iMac16,2 have a 5. Generation R processor, the 18,1 have the i5-7360U that's the most near to mine (7300U) right?

Last edited:
Hi there,

I tried everything you say, in my kext folder/other is only FakeSMC left.
I tried also to boot with different SSDT configs, but none brings me to Sleep.

I Tried:
USB-Fix + CPU
NUC7DC + CPU
NUC7DC + USB
NONE
CPU
USB
NUC7DC

unfortunately none of this worked for me, I guess something else is missing or don't know.

The last thing what's left is to set to iMac16,2 but I tried this before and it didn't work also, but I can try it again with all the new knowledge.

EDIT: The iMac16,2 have a 5. Generation R processor, the 18,1 have the i5-7360U that's the most near to mine (7300U) right?
So when we try to help we base a lot of the questions on the user following a guide but getting stuck at some point. I never asked you one of the basic questions which is did you set the bios up properly? Specifically did you do this?

Then change:
- Boot->Boot Configuration, disable "Network Boot"
- Power->Secondary Power Settings, "Wake on LAN from S4/S5", set to "Stay Off"

So when we try to help we base a lot of the questions on the user following a guide but getting stuck at some point. I never asked you one of the basic questions which is did you set the bios up properly? Specifically did you do this?

Then change:
- Boot->Boot Configuration, disable "Network Boot"
- Power->Secondary Power Settings, "Wake on LAN from S4/S5", set to "Stay Off"
Yep i even reset my bios once again and setup it correctly just in case.

Okay the problem: I click on sleep (or after a time he goes to sleep) and he doesn't wake up. Actually nothing happen.
The screen stays black, the USB Devices also (except my mouse it turn on when I click the mouse button once), but that's it. The fans spinning at the level at the NUC turned off.

I will set the BIOS once again. Just in case.

Not exactly my friend, you have different graphics than the i5-7360U. The iMac 16,2 uses the same.
Thanks for the info, I Thought it have to be the closest to the CPU not GPU.
But even with the SMBios for iMac16,2 it didn't work.

Greetings,

Thanks for the info, I Thought it have to be the closest to the CPU not GPU.
But even with the SMBios for iMac16,2 it didn't work.

Greetings,
Its a different generation CPU, different graphics etc. so quite different. I notice you are not using Rehabman's config.plist for your device, not sure where you got the version you are using but is been modified. I would try his

Attachments

• config_nuc7.plist
    6.1 KB · Views: 74
Here is a 10th gen NUC pre production model. Basic review and looks similar to what we already know but some of you may want to see the new version. At least showing it might be out soon in it's final form.

Good news for anyone interested in getting the internal bluetooth fully working :)

After successfully building this: https://github.com/wulf7/iwmbt-firmware, I managed to download the firmware and get bluetooth working without having to first boot into Windows/Linux!

The caveat is that, since the stock bluetooth kexts get loaded automatically and prevent the firmware downloader from claiming the usb interface, I had to manually unload them, run the firmware downloader (successfully) and then reboot.

I suppose all that is missing now is to find a way to either run the downloader very early in the boot process (no idea how to do that), or maybe write a script that unloads the kexts, downloads the firmware and then reloads the kexts (I am currently at work and do not have the time to try this).

All in all, I suppose this is quite big regarding hardware compatibility. Anyone with the required experience to help, please do so!

Edit: managed to get it working without reboot, by first unloading com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport and then reloading it. Still can't figure out how to automate this properly, though.

Good to read your closer to getting internal bluetooth working. Let us know if you get it all worked out. Saves having to get usb BT dongle.

Good news, I just managed to sort the internal Bluetooth issue.

It is kind of a hack, but I couldn't find the time to go through the proper way (eg. creating a kext or something).

You just have to copy the files in the attached zip to the respective directories (just follow the directory structure inside the zip file; I suppose you will have to chown all copied files to root:wheel).

I don't know if the /opt dir selection for the binaries/firmware is optimal, but it works.

This solution uses an rc.boot script that checks if the firmware is already present (eg. after warm boot) and does the uploading using https://github.com/wulf7/iwmbt-firmware if it is not.

There is a small 4-5 seconds delay at the login window before bluetooth actually works, so be patient (this does not apply after a warm boot, since the firmware is already OK and the script does nothing).

In my case this makes internal bluetooth fully usable (and also improves some sleep issues I had with the Asus BT-400 bluetooth dongle)!

Confirmed working on NUC8i7BEH (Mojave), no idea if it works for older/other NUCs (I included a few firmware files apart from the one actually used for my hardware, one can always find more in the linux-firmware package).

Attachments

• bluetooth_fix.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Back