Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Hey does anybody use an external usb audio device with the NUC8i7BEH without problems?

I use an Apogee ONE and whenever I boot Mac it seems to work fine, but when I start a youtube video in the browser or play a sound in Ableton live the audio stops working after a second or two. The only way to make it work is to boot Mojave and then log out, and log back in again.
Unplugging the device and plugin it back in does not really work. When I do that the interface starts to connect and disconnect constantly for a few minutes until it stays connected.

I tried all USB ports with the same result.
USB Pen drives/keyboard/mice work fine.
The audio interface works fine on my windows desktop.

Basically it would be great to have it working right after booting.

Thank you!

intel NUC 8i7BEH
Mojave 10.14.6

It is compatible with Catalina acording to this. https://apogeedigital.com/home-feat...eature-news/macos-catalina-compatibility-info

Did you download the latest drivers and software for Catalina? Also download the lastest bios might help and update kexts at least the usb kext.

I set up usb and everything and I am ready to install but I have an error that says "the copy of the install macos MOjave application is damaged, and can't be used to install macos" how is it that possible? I downloaded from my mac air so is genuine.. If I create another usb with only the installer of mac can I install it from the actual screen? Kind of double usb?
Make sure you used a 16gb USB flash drive. Try another as it might have a problem. Also how you made the usb drive can be the problem.

My guide here has terminal commands on how to make the usb guide. If you didn't make the usb on a MAC this also can cause corrupted usb drives I have heard from some.

Guide link here: The guide shows you how to make the usb drive and where to download the EFi folder to make it boot and install your hackintosh. What guide did you follow? Note Rehabmans guide no longer works.

I have done a few clean installs from usb using your efi folder Leesureone without issue. I have done clean install using 10.15 and 10.15.1 and it was very straight forward. All I did was prepare a usb using apple support terminal command then copied your efi accross to the usb and also edited the serial to mine. As your guide says a few reboots and all was good. I have also done a Mojave using your latest EFI zip and that worked too.
Sorry not been well and will be in hospital for another 7 days so apologies to anyone that asked questions.
Yeah, installation went perfectly fine they way you describe (doing it like this myself all the time). But now I ise the internal broadcom BT chip over the BT dongle I’m having some issues with sleep which I’m trying to resolve. I really want to use this BT over the dongle as it is much better (wake on tap works, no stutter with my bose audio etc,..)

Get well soon mate! Hope everything is ok!

Yeah, installation went perfectly fine they way you describe (doing it like this myself all the time). But now I ise the internal broadcom BT chip over the BT dongle I’m having some issues with sleep which I’m trying to resolve. I really want to use this BT over the dongle as it is much better (wake on tap works, no stutter with my bose audio etc,..)

Get well soon mate! Hope everything is ok!

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might be the BT mod you did. I hate that you fix one thing only to find out it has affected another. I'm sure you will work it out. I know you love that "continuity" which I fully understand.

So just a question then. If you take the M.2. BT card out of the NUC does sleep go back to normal. If not it might be the modification you had to do to get the USB 2.0 internal headers. I know you had to change some stuff and even a new kext? The only way to test what is casing the problem that I know is "elimination testing". Well it is be best and quickest way that is. I don't know if that is an easy option for you as there was some soldering from what I remember.

Anyway best of luck. Let us know if you work it out.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might be the BT mod you did. I hate that you fix one thing only to find out it has affected another. I'm sure you will work it out. I know you love that "continuity" which I fully understand.

So just a question then. If you take the M.2. BT card out of the NUC does sleep go back to normal. If not it might be the modification you had to do to get the USB 2.0 internal headers. I know you had to change some stuff and even a new kext? The only way to test what is casing the problem that I know is "elimination testing". Well it is be best and quickest way that is. I don't know if that is an easy option for you as there was some soldering from what I remember.

Anyway best of luck. Let us know if you work it out.
Actually I have been using the M.2 BT/Wifi card for weeks without issues but without the 2-wire cable for the BT part of it (was waiting for the parts and didn't get around soldering the wires). So I was just using the Wi-Fi part of it combined with a BT dongle and all the continunity stuff worked very smooth (airdrop, imessage, handoff,..). One thing that didn't work was wake on tap (eg pressing keyboard key to wake up the nuc) and I had to press the power button to wake it up (which is not a big deal, since the nuc sits right below my screen).. Also BT audio to my bose headset stuttered because I believe the BT dongle was not good enough to power 4 devices (apple trackpad, mouse, keyboard, headset).

Now I have soldered and installed the wire and I really want to use the BT part of the M.2 chip now, since it works much better (I think it's more powerfull, since I don't have the audio stutter for example, another thing that works is mouse/keyboard before OS boot, eg in BIOS while with the BT dongle I needed to wire my apple keyboard with lightning cable). It's all these little things :)

Only thing I need to fix is the sleep issue now :) (fyi, I also noticed that it seems now with the native BT my machine has a hard time going into sleep, some process is keeping it awake I believe..)

So close to the perfect hackintosh I think, but yet not perfect enough :)..

So guys, any suggestions to fix my sleep issue with native BT chip?

Actually I have been using the M.2 BT/Wifi card for weeks without issues but without the 2-wire cable for the BT part of it (was waiting for the parts and didn't get around soldering the wires). So I was just using the Wi-Fi part of it combined with a BT dongle and all the continunity stuff worked very smooth (airdrop, imessage, handoff,..). One thing that didn't work was wake on tap (eg pressing keyboard key to wake up the nuc) and I had to press the power button to wake it up (which is not a big deal, since the nuc sits right below my screen).. Also BT audio to my bose headset stuttered because I believe the BT dongle was not good enough to power 4 devices (apple trackpad, mouse, keyboard, headset).

Now I have soldered and installed the wire and I really want to use the BT part of the M.2 chip now, since it works much better (I think it's more powerfull, since I don't have the audio stutter for example, another thing that works is mouse/keyboard before OS boot, eg in BIOS while with the BT dongle I needed to wire my apple keyboard with lightning cable). It's all these little things :)

Only thing I need to fix is the sleep issue now :) (fyi, I also noticed that it seems now with the native BT my machine has a hard time going into sleep, some process is keeping it awake I believe..)

So close to the perfect hackintosh I think, but yet not perfect enough :)..

So guys, any suggestions to fix my sleep issue with native BT chip?

Good to read of your progress. So a lot is working now but sleep is important and a real pain when it doesn't work as the only option is to shutdown or waste power both not good options.

Get rid of any usb stuff plugged in as it might be that but I'm guessing you tried that first.

Below is a copy of links and commands I got from the links to diagnose the sleep problem I and it worked and I worked out the problem for my NUC. You run the command in terminal and it tells you when it tries to sleep and then wakes right away so to you it seems it never sleeps but it does log the event.

It might help you and it might not if it is related to the BT dongle etc as that is hardware and might require config.plist changes etc which is beyond me sorry.

Below are MY notes so some might not be valid. The links are the main part. Also make sure your kexts are updated to the latest which I think you did recently using clover if I remember correctly.

Wake Reason from Sleep command Terminal

log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

Kextupdater fixes sleep problem. Open then Tools and fix sleep pproblem.

Sleep and Wake history:

log show --style syslog | fgrep "[powerd:sleepWake]"

To save sleep and wake history to file:

log show --style syslog | fgrep "[powerd:sleepWake]" > MacBook-pro-sleepwake.txt

https://sysadminblogger.wordpress.com/tag/rtc-maintenance/

Attachments

• 1574065606927.png
    1574065606927.png
    1 MB · Views: 56
I called victory to soon.. this morning I came to know my pc restarted due to sleep issues and after the restart I have similar symptoms as before:

Any suggestions?
It’s either a hardware issue or a USB port limit patch issue that is not taking the headers into account correctly. If it’s the later use Hackintosh to create a custom USB kext that sets up the port limit patch to match the ports you want. Either that or follow one of the guides out there to create your own ssdt.

I tried to use Leesureone EFI, it works great with Catalina (had nothing to do). But when I try to use it with Mojave I had many troubles.
First of all I had to use the -no_compat_check to boot the installer. And when I'm in the graphic installer, my AFPS partition is greyed and I have the message "This version macos 10.14 could not be installed on your computer".
The certificate of my Installer were outdated so I had to change the date in the bios of my NUC is it related ? I doubt.
Anyone had the same issues ?

It’s either a hardware issue or a USB port limit patch issue that is not taking the headers into account correctly. If it’s the later use Hackintosh to create a custom USB kext that sets up the port limit patch to match the ports you want. Either that or follow one of the guides out there to create your own ssdt.
would you be able to guide me to the right direction how I could check if it's related to "usb port limit patch" and how I can create a custom usb kext?
I'm still not quite sure what the difference is between a kext and a ssdt also..

Back