Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Hey does anybody use an external usb audio device with the NUC8i7BEH without problems?

I use an Apogee ONE and whenever I boot Mac it seems to work fine, but when I start a youtube video in the browser or play a sound in Ableton live the audio stops working after a second or two. The only way to make it work is to boot Mojave and then log out, and log back in again.
Unplugging the device and plugin it back in does not really work. When I do that the interface starts to connect and disconnect constantly for a few minutes until it stays connected.

I tried all USB ports with the same result.
USB Pen drives/keyboard/mice work fine.
The audio interface works fine on my windows desktop.

Basically it would be great to have it working right after booting.

Thank you!

intel NUC 8i7BEH
Mojave 10.14.6

I set up usb and everything and I am ready to install but I have an error that says "the copy of the install macos MOjave application is damaged, and can't be used to install macos" how is it that possible? I downloaded from my mac air so is genuine.. If I create another usb with only the installer of mac can I install it from the actual screen? Kind of double usb?
No...

Hey does anybody use an external usb audio device with the NUC8i7BEH without problems?

I use an Apogee ONE and whenever I boot Mac it seems to work fine, but when I start a youtube video in the browser or play a sound in Ableton live the audio stops working after a second or two. The only way to make it work is to boot Mojave and then log out, and log back in again.
Unplugging the device and plugin it back in does not really work. When I do that the interface starts to connect and disconnect constantly for a few minutes until it stays connected.

I tried all USB ports with the same result.
USB Pen drives/keyboard/mice work fine.
The audio interface works fine on my windows desktop.

Basically it would be great to have it working right after booting.

Thank you!

intel NUC 8i7BEH
Mojave 10.14.6
How is your NUC8 setup? What process did you use to be able to boot the hard drive? Are you using my EFI folder or no?
A couple of suggestions to try, back up your system then refer to Rehabman's guide to download his GitHub contents. The idea is to be able to run the "Make" commands that will create the various SSDTs based on your system that go into ACPI/patched. Make sure to use the "make install_nuc8-BC" instead of 7. Once done check the contents of L/E and Clover/ Kexts/Other to make sure you don't have duplicates and to decide where you want kexts to finally reside (one location or the other is best). if you have to delete kexts form L/E make sure to rebuild the kextcache using terminal (google it). Place the finished SSDTs generated by the script in Clover/ACPI/patched and see if it helped with your USB performance. If that doesn't work you can always try building your own USB SSDT

from Rehabmans's guide on the first page:

Post Installation

Install Clover UEFI as described in the guide linked by the previous section (post #2). After installing Clover, and configuring it correctly (config.plist, kexts, HFSPlus.efi, etc) you should be able to boot from the HDD/SSD.

Most everything works, but there are a few things to tidy up, drivers to install, etc. For that, we need to patch ACPI, provide a proper config.plist, and install the kexts that are required.

Since you have IntelMausiEthernet.kext already injected by Clover, you should have internet access simply by using an Ethernet cable to your router. Plug it in and make sure you have internet access before continuing.

Installation of the tools and patching is easy provided the scripts and tools at the repository: https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch

To start, the developer tools must be installed. Run Terminal, and type:

Code:
xcode-select --install
You will be prompted to install the developer tools. Since you have internet working, you can choose to have it download and install them automatically. Do that before continuing.

After the developer tools are installed, we need to make a copy of the project on github.

In Terminal:
Code:
mkdir ~/Projects
cd ~/Projects
git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch nuc.git
Note: All commands for Terminal that follow will assume you have set the current working directory to ~/Projects/nuc.git (unless otherwise stated).

To change the current working directory in Terminal:
Code:
cd ~/Projects/nuc.git
Now it is time to install some more tools and all the kexts that are required...

In Terminal:
Code:
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh
The download.sh script will automatically gather the latest version of all tools (patchmatic, iasl, MaciASL) and all the required kexts from bitbucket. The install_downloads.sh will automatically install them to the proper locations.

To finish the setup, we need a correctly patched ACPI.

In Terminal:
Code:
make
make install_nuc7

Just updated today, all seems well.
Hi, did you manage to fix the issue with the display? (Samsung 32j590u 4k)and the green & static via the HDMI 2.0 port? Asking because I have the same issue and can't find a solution yet.
P.S. my clover bootloarder is 4961 with catalina but same issue was present with the mojave installation as well.

Regarding the internal bluetooth issue (firmware has to be first downloaded to the adapter by Windows/Linux), I just stumbled upon this: https://github.com/wulf7/iwmbt-firmware.
It is stated that "it looks trivial to make some newer models e.g. PIDs 0x8087/0x0025, 0x8087/0x0026, 0x8087/0x0029 and 0x8087/0x0aaa working" and "Mac OS X and NetBSD should work after minor tweaking".
Now all we need is someone with the experience and time to give it a try...

How is your NUC8 setup? What process did you use to be able to boot the hard drive? Are you using my EFI folder or no?
A couple of suggestions to try, back up your system then refer to Rehabman's guide to download his GitHub contents. The idea is to be able to run the "Make" commands that will create the various SSDTs based on your system that go into ACPI/patched. Make sure to use the "make install_nuc8-BC" instead of 7. Once done check the contents of L/E and Clover/ Kexts/Other to make sure you don't have duplicates and to decide where you want kexts to finally reside (one location or the other is best). if you have to delete kexts form L/E make sure to rebuild the kextcache using terminal (google it). Place the finished SSDTs generated by the script in Clover/ACPI/patched and see if it helped with your USB performance. If that doesn't work you can always try building your own USB SSDT

from Rehabmans's guide on the first page:

Post Installation

Install Clover UEFI as described in the guide linked by the previous section (post #2). After installing Clover, and configuring it correctly (config.plist, kexts, HFSPlus.efi, etc) you should be able to boot from the HDD/SSD.

Most everything works, but there are a few things to tidy up, drivers to install, etc. For that, we need to patch ACPI, provide a proper config.plist, and install the kexts that are required.

Since you have IntelMausiEthernet.kext already injected by Clover, you should have internet access simply by using an Ethernet cable to your router. Plug it in and make sure you have internet access before continuing.

Installation of the tools and patching is easy provided the scripts and tools at the repository: https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch

To start, the developer tools must be installed. Run Terminal, and type:

Code:
xcode-select --install
You will be prompted to install the developer tools. Since you have internet working, you can choose to have it download and install them automatically. Do that before continuing.

After the developer tools are installed, we need to make a copy of the project on github.

In Terminal:
Code:
mkdir ~/Projects
cd ~/Projects
git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch nuc.git
Note: All commands for Terminal that follow will assume you have set the current working directory to ~/Projects/nuc.git (unless otherwise stated).

To change the current working directory in Terminal:
Code:
cd ~/Projects/nuc.git
Now it is time to install some more tools and all the kexts that are required...

In Terminal:
Code:
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh
The download.sh script will automatically gather the latest version of all tools (patchmatic, iasl, MaciASL) and all the required kexts from bitbucket. The install_downloads.sh will automatically install them to the proper locations.

To finish the setup, we need a correctly patched ACPI.

In Terminal:
Code:
make
make install_nuc7

Thank you for the suggestions!

I am running BIOS version 0074, Clover 5098 with your EFINUC8 files inside the Clover EFI directory. The Interface is USB 2.0

I did Rehabs Github installation and moved all the kexts it installed from Library to the Clover EFI directory (replacing your kexts).

I created new DSDT patches with Rehabs make command (make install_nuc8bc) and replaced your SSDT-NUC8-BC.aml with the newly created one. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the connection issue, there is no change in behavior.

Basically whenever I want to use the audio interface I have to boot Mojave, log out and log back in again. (Hot-plug does not work, whenever it was unplugged i need to log out and log in again)

I'm not sure how to solve it.

Thank you again!
Have a nice weekend.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I am running BIOS version 0074, Clover 5098 with your EFINUC8 files inside the Clover EFI directory. The Interface is USB 2.0

I did Rehabs Github installation and moved all the kexts it installed from Library to the Clover EFI directory (replacing your kexts).

I created new DSDT patches with Rehabs make command (make install_nuc8bc) and replaced your SSDT-NUC8-BC.aml with the newly created one. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the connection issue, there is no change in behavior.

Basically whenever I want to use the audio interface I have to boot Mojave, log out and log back in again. (Hot-plug does not work, whenever it was unplugged i need to log out and log in again)

I'm not sure how to solve it.

Thank you again!
Have a nice weekend.
Wish I could help...I don't have an Apogee One so it's impossible for me to test anything. I assume you have the drivers installed and checked their website for suggestions.

Wish I could help...I don't have an Apogee One so it's impossible for me to test anything. I assume you have the drivers installed and checked their website for suggestions.

No worries. It is not too bad, since I can get it to work "reliably" with logout/login.
That makes it work fine until the next restart/unplugging interface.

Firmware and software is the latest already.

The weird thing is whenever the audio stops working the interface still shows up in the sound settings and the volume settings in the top bar, only the audio is gone.

Maybe I can find a solution a some point.

Thanks!

No worries. It is not too bad, since I can get it to work "reliably" with logout/login.
That makes it work fine until the next restart/unplugging interface.

Firmware and software is the latest already.

The weird thing is whenever the audio stops working the interface still shows up in the sound settings and the volume settings in the top bar, only the audio is gone.

Maybe I can find a solution a some point.

Thanks!
I hope you do, there might be answers somewhere else if you search for Apogee and Hackintosh. It doesn't seem to be an NUC hardware issue being your USB ports work but its tough to say for sure.

So I installed the cable for native BT and it allthoug it works, it's very unstable:
- often during boot when apple logo shows it reboots and then 2nd or 3rd boot it boots fine..
- when coming out of sleep it says BT not available, allthough some BT devices still (partially) works (eg. mouse works, but scrolling not..)

I'm about to reinstall macos and prepared a new bootable catelina usb and replaced the efi with mine but clover doesn't show the usb drive as install option, only my already installed macos... any idea why?? This has worked 100s of times for me!! No idea why it all of a sudden stopped working.. (I can select the usb drive in the uefi boot menu..)

Back