Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

No help for my random shut downs and high heat? I took the whole thing apart and checked for dust buildup in the fan assembly (read about that on other threads) but there was none. I actually think it’s some kind of software issue. No one else is having this problem?
There are several forums on the NUCs I follow and yours is the first issue reported. Have you considered updating the bios? Have you checked performance under another operating system? You can boot off a flash drive if needed and compare results.

My understanding is not without modifying the SSDT that patches which USB ports get used, Rehabman wasn't using them so they weren't included initially. I uploaded another users ACPI/ patched folder that should enable them.
Where did you upload it?
Edit: didnt read your initial post :)

No help for my random shut downs and high heat? I took the whole thing apart and checked for dust buildup in the fan assembly (read about that on other threads) but there was none. I actually think it’s some kind of software issue. No one else is having this problem?
I had my first nuc8 replaced just for that. Your temps are too high and I had that as well with my first one.

The second nuc8, the operating temps were lower. Too reduce them even further I replaced the thermal compound with high quality stuff. My idle temps is now around 40c, normal usage around 50-60c.

Together withe the quiet profile in the bios my nuc8 is now quite silent.

They do but from what other users have said they had to rebuild their USB.SSDT so they would work. The weren't included in the build Rehabman started for us but Sakuri has these versions on his Github page. He runs the internal wifi/bluetooth in his M2 slot like you are. I've attached his ACPI\patched folder, just replace the contents of yours after backing up, hopefully it does the job for you.
I replaced the files but it says "Bluetooth: not available" :(
Do I need to do something else?

Where did you upload it?
Edit: didnt read your initial post :)
Well, it was attached to the post but I guess it didn't really upload. I'll have to do it again later.

Well, it was attached to the post but I guess it didn't really upload. I'll have to do it again later.
No it’s ok. I only read your reply to spotsy.

However it didnt work. I believe I did the soldering wrong. I just soldered red to red and black to black but looking to the schematics on github I noticed I need to link them to wires of pin2 and 3 and the red and black are pin1 and 4..

Odd HDMI behavior, you can try updating the HDMI firmware but it very well make no difference. If not then try updating Lilu and Whatevergreen.kexts from this site. https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/kexts.11/

As far as imessage it sounds like your serial number has already been used, repeat the process of changing it but before applying it check on the Apple Website and make sure the new one is free. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

Already updated the HDMI firmware, it was happening before but with less regularity so I'll try updating those kexts and see what happens.

Re iMessage I did check that the serial number was invalid and it was so not sure why it's happening. But I'll try doing it again after I revert back to the backup config.plist and see if it works. That way I'll know for sure if it's the serial number that's causing the blowout.

They do but from what other users have said they had to rebuild their USB.SSDT so they would work. The weren't included in the build Rehabman started for us but Sakuri has these versions on his Github page. He runs the internal wifi/bluetooth in his M2 slot like you are. I've attached his ACPI\patched folder, just replace the contents of yours after backing up, hopefully it does the job for you.

Haha, said it before I'll say it again, you sir, are a scholar & a gent. Just used that patched file and replaced the contents with it and bang now my 2 port USB NUC lid is now working in Mac OS. Thanks!!

My NUC8i7 has been working well with Leesureone's EFI folder. The only issue ever since upgrading to Cataline, I have been having times when it randomly fires up the fan on full blast and then shuts off completely. I have finally identified that I was having horrible overheating issues. I just installed HWMonitors and it looks like just opening a couple browser windows open or with VMWare fusion open the CPU temps are over 95deg C. Its a fairly new device so not like it would have a bunch of dust. Any thoughts on this?

Edit:
For reference, I have only 1 browser window open and CPU cores are at 100 or 95 degrees C. This is with tweaking the bios to limit heat by turning off performance settings.

The NUC's have a terrible reputation of running hot like ultrabooks. The i3's are not so bad but I have the i7 like you and in windows 10 the fans would spike like that. It is the turbo boost feature which gives high clock speeds for short periods of use. Thing is just browsing sets it off and I see 100 celcius regularly.
Go into bios F2 and click advanced. Then go to cooling tab and change dropdown from BALANCED TO QUIET as the option and it will keep the fan and cpu spiking like that. This is the official suggestion from INTEL btw. Search google "intel Nuc8i7beh high temps and fan noise" and you will find a LOT of posts on it.
The reason for the change in Catalina is I'm guessing turboboost was not working in Mojave as your CPU was not identified properly or something like that. The other reason is you might have updated your bios for the upgrade and they changed thermal and cooling defaults on the later bios'.
Now the other thing is every 12 months or so you have to clean the fan as it fills with dust.
IMPORTANT TEMP AND CLEANING INFO: The nuc's have a fault where dust gets caught between the fan and the heatsink on the cpu. Your CPU should be around 35 celcius when idle and nothing open. if you notice your base temps high all the time then you need to do the clean this post suggests. The NUC9's specs have been leaked and they have at least put TWO fans to cool the CPU's and better copper heatpipes so I hope they fix this.
You will start to have lockups and video stuttering etc when your cpu is too hot all the time.

I continue to be amazed at your knowledge.

Back