Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Hello everybody,
I just wanted to tell you that since yesterday I have a full running NUC on macOS Mojave (10.14.6) without major flaws (will be explained below).

BIOS
First I had a lot of trouble with a bios update. The bios had never been updated since I bought the NUC. Bios still had v41 and I have no-one seen mentioning this old version. Bios update was not easy as all attempts in the beginning failed as the update from bios or with F7 resulted in a frozen screen.
Yesterday I wanted to install Windows in order to try the bios update on Windows. Before I started installing Windows I tried F7 for the last time - and it succeeded. First I did an update to v51 and then to v56 which is now my current bios version.
Then I changed all settings to default and changed according to Rehabmans inital post in this thread:
  • Boot->Boot Configuration, disable "Network Boot"
  • Power->Secondary Power Settings, "Wake on LAN from S4/S5", set to "Stay Off"
  • Devices->Video, "IGD Minimum Memory" set to 64mb or 128mb
  • Devices->Video, "IGD Aperture Size" set to 256mb
  • Boot->Secure Boot, "Secure Boot" is disabled
I was not able to find the setting Security->Security Features, "Execute Disable Bit" is enabled. So I left this away.
I also regarded the note on NUC8 ->

USB
After the successful bios update I started from scratch. Which means I created a fresh USB install medium using clover v5097. Then I've copied the content from @Leesureone's post #901 to the new EFI partition on my USB stick.
The next step was to create the install_osx partition including the installer for Mojave. That was version 10.14.6

Installation
The first try however failed. Clover launched successfully but without showing any partition to start from. I realised after some time that in the drivers section driver for HFS+ was missing. I've added HFSPlus.efi to folder /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and did a restart. I don't know if this is really needed but this time the install partition was recognised and I was able to start with the installation.

Postinstall
After successful installation I started Clover v5097 on the installed macOS and created an EFI partition on my SSD. Then I've copied the EFI folder from @Leesureone's post. Removed USB Stick - restarted and BOOM.
Some cosmetic changes have been done on config.plist. First I hid all partitions (Recovery, Preboot) and set the timeout on boot to 5s. Then I created a Serial number with Clover configurator.

Result
Since then my "NUCintosh" runs perfectly. I also dared to to the latest system update that came this week. (18G1012)
Everything fine.
Audio works perfectly on the 3,5mm audio jack on the front. I haven't tried HDMI audio but I won't need it anyway. Even microphone support works fine on the jack.
Sleep mode works as it should be. I've tried several times to bring the NUCintosh to sleep mode and was able to re-awake it from sleep. Also if it goes to sleep mode as set up in system preferences I am able to wake it up as intended.
Shutdown also perfect - I had an issue in my first installation where the system was shut down but NUC stayed on.
USB C - I've attached a USB C docking station from Andobil to test:
  • USB3 - check
  • HDMI - check
  • Ethernet - check
  • SD Card reader - check
Downside:
Some parts do not work - but can be neglected as I don't need them:
  • internal WIFI and bluetooth
    • This was to be expected. I want to try an external solution later but in my setup I can very good live with ethernet cable and wired keyboard and mouse
  • NUCs SD Card reader
    • This does not work. However as I mentioned I was able to use the reader on the Docking station.
  • iMessage
    • I was not able to successfully start it. It starts but when I try to enter my AppleID it failed somehow. However I really don't need this. So I can live without it
Conclusion
Everything that I wanted works as dreamed. I may try a wifi bt solution in the future. But this is no critical to me.
I also consider switching to catalina in the future but definitely not in the next 6 months. I've several 32-bit apps I rely on so that is currently not an option for me.

Now the most important part...

CREDITS
Many many thanks go to:
  • Rehabman - for his complete work
  • Leesureone - for helping with his post on NUC8 and providing the EFI folder as a zip file which was super easy to use
  • Spottsy - for giving me the right hint on Leesureones post
Cheers
Poncho

Congradulations Poncho on getting it updated. I have never heard of a bios older than ver 56 lol. You did well to do it in steps. You can I believe go from version 56 to 74 as many have without problems.

Bluetooth and Wifi doesn't work as it is an intel chipset. I use ethernet LAN cable but I do have a TP-Link USB wifi T3U adapter that works and cost me only $30 for when I go on holidays. If you need wifi I can give you more details. You can get a genuine apple bluetooth/wifi M.2 adapter but you will lose the internal M.2 slot which isn't worth it in my opinion. Some say bluetooth works sort of. I have disabled BOTH in the BIOS to keep things stable.

It is late here but look at my post on installing Catalina. Scroll down to the part on serial number. Wait a bit sometimes it needs a reboot etc. Make sure to sign into iCloud first. Then app store then imessage in that order seems to help.

I added more detail to my guide and a link which goes into detail on iMessage Guide.

The microSD card works if you get the kext from this link and put it in your kexts/other folder in your EFI partiton where all the other kexts are.

Let me know if you want more info on wifi options if that is important to you and you don't have LAN connection.

Currently on latest EFI folder from #901 (Updated EFI with Clover Version 5097, Catalina Ready 10/28/19)
Tried changing my SMBIOS to MacBookPro15,2, like @sridhar did. Didn't make much difference. Set my serial numbers too.
Narrowed down my problem. Screen starts flickering/turning off at specific segments of video files (say file XYZ.mkv at 30:34 creates a flicker each time).
-Encoding/container doesn't seem to matter - just specific times of specific files.
-Which video player is used doesn't matter.
-Changing Video Output Module in VLC doesn't make a difference.
-Enabling all the logging in VLC - nothing is logged specifically at the time of flickers.
It might be hardware related or something in the room or house you are in as I use VLC and play videos without problem. I watch movies etc. I'm not sure anyone can help you sorry as it seems specific to your NUC. It might be a fault. I think you changed rooms and the problem persisted so it might be something in the hardware.
If it is hardware the only way to test is install Windows 10 and play videos. If it doesn't happen in Windows 10 then it is something you are doing different in your setup.

Are you running the latest BIOS ver 74. Might be worth re flashing your bios again over the top. This has to be done from within the BIOS only F7. Window 10 will give you a message your bios is up to date and not allow a reflash. Just the small chance you have a corrupt bios flash makes it worth a try a least and it doesn't take long.
They are the only two options I can think of if you haven't done them already. Best of luck.

Download macOS Catalina 10.15.1 Update just released

Manual Download and update details found here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2022?locale=en_AU

I'll update in the next hour or so and confirm if my NUC boots. If someone has already installed this and it didn't brick your NUC let us know please.

It is a 4.2gb download which I bet has more changes that listed in the above notes.
I think you missed my post that I updated flawellessly using the build in macos update feature.. :)

I upgraded to 10.15.1 without problems.
The driver for the SD card was released three years ago. Most likely he just falls off after sleep.

For those interested: updated tot MacOS 10.15.1 succesfully in about 15minutes, no issues whatsoever :)

I did miss you post. I wish I hadn't it would have saved me doing the update twice. Once on my clone drive first to make sure it didn't brick my install. Thanks though for pointing that out.

Mac user here for 6 years or so, before that lifetime of windows (since dos).

The tools I always install are:
- homebrew: package manager. I install all my apps with it (brew cask install ....)
- spectacle: window management with shortcuts (full screen, snap to left/right/top/bottom,..)
- vanilla: cleanup my systray
- lastpass: password manager (came from 1password, which is better, but I hate their subscription model)

Also missed this post HedgeHog2k. I keep seeing homebrew in lists in youtube and in guides. Vanilla too was in lots of lists so I'll give it a go. I'm just using google's passwords at the moment. I tried lastpass but you had to get the paid version and I wasn't too sure. Thanks for the suggestions I'll give them all a go.

I think the best thing I have purchased software wise is carbon copy cloner 5 and the use of snapshots. Can go back to any point in time pre and post patch etc.

Snapshots came in with APFS formatting and High Sierra. I just found a guide on how to create, manage and use APFS snapshots WITHOUT Carbon Copy Cloner which I am about to read. It is also tied into to time machine. I'm about to read it but it looks good if you want a way to go back to a point in time if a patch broke something and you want to reverse it.

For NUC7, I nevertheless advised to refer to post #1,632

Hi @Sevift can you clarify something for those that have a NUC7. @Leesureone and I only have Nuc7 but I have been pointing the NUC7 to Benmiller's post which we thought was your EFI folder.

The link you put in in your post was corrupt but I found the post here:

So this EFI works for both Mojave and Catalina? I have changed my guide to your post #1632 now and you are thanked.

If your EFI gets important changes post it in that same link above and I'll keep pointing all Nuc7's to it.

I realise after a few months on here I see the same questions over and over that I asked at the start and how excited I was to get my first Hackintosh working. So to save me time I put all the info in one post. It needs a bit of tidying but for now it works.

THIS POST HAS INFO ON NUC7 AND NUC8 INSTALL. It works for both Mojave and Catalina and has links to working EFI folders for both as well. Also a simple guide on making a clean install USB too plus info on serial number change too.

See GUIDE here:

I haven't had any problems with my microSD @Leesureone linked it to me a couple of months ago. I use for GoPro footage mainly. I took a look and it is is formatted MBR fat32 like a usb is formatted so maybe that is why it works reliably. See screenshot of partition details. I'll see if there is an updated kext anywhere too. Let me know if you find an up to date one that works with HFS+ formatting. I'll try HFS+ in a bit to see if it makes a difference I have a second card laying around.

YOU SEEM TO HAVE TWO COPIES OF THE DEVICE: Do you have another kext competing for the same microSD card. Anyway here is my PCI driver info.

Note Chinese_spy's screenshot of driver matches mine which also might be a hit to why it is not working for you?
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachments/screenshot-2019-09-15-at-09-15-16-png.425937/

CHIPSET DETAILS: Realtek RTS522A PCI-E Card Reader I did some searching but could not find any updated kext other than the one I listed sorry. Tell me if you find a newer driver.

Attachments

• microSD card fat32 MBR.png
    microSD card fat32 MBR.png
    510.5 KB · Views: 85
  • I only have one driver.png
    I only have one driver.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
Back