Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Careful, you can be banned for using an approved method of installing OS X. That's what happened to the user (left unnamed) whose guide you are referring to. Meanwhile you can't use his EFI folder because it is for an NUC8, it won't work, @Sevift's EFI folder should work though.
Thanks, I really didn't know that, I'll read again all the rules before posting again. I'm using @Sevift EFI Folders, but still can't get the headphones output to work as it should work. Not even with Sevift Efi Folder "(

Sorry, I just built my firsth hackintosh, used an Intel NUC 7i3BNH; I used Sevift Clover Folder after installation of Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2, used this guide to download Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2, I tried with Mojave 10.14.6 using this link - sorry but I don't own a Mac -but for some reason can't even pass the installation process. After the installation of Mojave 10.14.2 I use this EFI Folder and replaced the Clover Folder with Sevift's Clover Folder (Quoting) as I mentioned before and everything is working out of the box, except for the headphone jack port, I'm getting audio but (here I don't know exactly how to explain but I'll try my best), for example in a song, I can hear really well al the instruments but the singer's voice is heard far away.

Here's my Efi Folder, I don't know if you need something else. Thanks in advanced and really sorry for this post. I searched all over google and can't find a fix for this.
We can point you to EFI folders in this forum but you need to put your hardware in you profile for us to see. There are different EFI folders for NUC7 and NUC8.
NUC8 link is here and read post 901. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...bxx-nuc8i7bxx-etc.261711/page-91#post-1968320
It has ALL you need to install Catalina or Mojave 10.14.6.
NUC7 is here but read post 901 first. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...xx-nuc8i7bxx-etc.261711/page-169#post-2023615
my guide on making a install USB for clean install of Catalina. Works for Mojave too just change the termainal command in the apple link for Mojave USB. Cata is running well for all of us. Be aware 32bit software won't work on Catalina so stick with Mojave if 32bit is important to you.
Link to catalina usb clean install here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...xx-nuc8i7bxx-etc.261711/page-160#post-2019668

We can point you to EFI folders in this forum but you need to put your hardware in you profile for us to see. There are different EFI folders for NUC7 and NUC8.
NUC8 link is here and read post 901. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...bxx-nuc8i7bxx-etc.261711/page-91#post-1968320
It has ALL you need to install Catalina or Mojave 10.14.6.
NUC7 is here but read post 901 first. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...xx-nuc8i7bxx-etc.261711/page-169#post-2023615
my guide on making a install USB for clean install of Catalina. Works for Mojave too just change the termainal command in the apple link for Mojave USB. Cata is running well for all of us. Be aware 32bit software won't work on Catalina so stick with Mojave if 32bit is important to you.
Link to catalina usb clean install here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...xx-nuc8i7bxx-etc.261711/page-160#post-2019668

Thank you very much, I'll give it a try yo all of this right now. Hope I can get it fix!

Already update my hardware.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, I'll give it a try yo all of this right now. Hope I can get it fix!

Already update my hardware.
Tell us if you have problems. You have the nuc7 so download https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...xx-nuc8i7bxx-etc.261711/page-169#post-2023615

Now it has everything you need to install Catalina or Mojave. It already has Clover and all your kexts/drivers and more in that EFI folder. All you have to do is use clover configurator. Download and install all this is in spottsy guide. Load the EFI backup your OLD EFI folder. Delete the EFI folder move to bin. Then copy and paste the entire EFI folder from the link above. You can update to mojave 10.14.6. If you have problems just follow my guide and make a catalina install or mojave and do clean install. Then after install finishes copy EFI folder to your Mac hard drive EFI parttion.

You've been on this forum and read posts from users who have issues I wouldn't anticipate. What works for me does not always work for everyone and all I can say is welcome to the world of Hackintosh! In regards to your question the best answer is to just try it and see how your system behaves. You can save a copy of your EFI Folder if you are concerned enough about the change. its pretty minor all in all, but having a back up available somewhere is always a good plan. Also make sure your usb boot disk is still working to get you back into your desktop if there is a problem with the change.

Good news the drivers from here for TP-LINK wireless adapters work very nice and work like they should. Changing Clover kext injecter from Detect to YES didn't seem to change anything that I have yet to see. So if you have TP-LINK wireless adapter and need an installer for Catalina this works and is for all of the REALTEK chipset wifi adapters. They Also work for some other popular WiFi adapters other than TP-Link.

https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Adapter-Clover

Known Working and testing adapter
  • Archer T2U NANO
  • ArcherT4U V3
  • Archer T3U
  • Archer T9UH V2
  • ASUS USB AC68
  • EDIMAX EW-7722UTn V2
  • EDIMAX N300
  • Linksys WUSB6300
  • TL-WN823Nv3
  • TL-WN823Nv2
  • TL-WN725Nv3
  • TL-WN722Nv3
  • TL-WN821Nv6
  • TRENDnet N150 Micro

For NUC7, I nevertheless advised to refer to post #1,632
I have updated my guide to show Nuc7 to the link you have above.
Also updated my Catalina/Mojave install guide to accomodate Nuc7 link as well Thanks for picking that up.
Link to my guide below which points to both Nuc8 and Nuc7 links now and how to make Catalina install usb etc to make it easy to point people to one link. It has info on changing serial too now.

Download macOS Catalina 10.15.1 Update just released

Manual Download and update details found here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2022?locale=en_AU

I'll update in the next hour or so and confirm if my NUC boots. If someone has already installed this and it didn't brick your NUC let us know please.

It is a 4.2gb download which I bet has more changes that listed in the above notes.

Sorry, not seeing anything. What do you mean unstable? Please see this post regrading a change to your symbols as a possible fix. #1,742

Currently on latest EFI folder from #901 (Updated EFI with Clover Version 5097, Catalina Ready 10/28/19)
Tried changing my SMBIOS to MacBookPro15,2, like @sridhar did. Didn't make much difference. Set my serial numbers too.
Narrowed down my problem. Screen starts flickering/turning off at specific segments of video files (say file XYZ.mkv at 30:34 creates a flicker each time).
-Encoding/container doesn't seem to matter - just specific times of specific files.
-Which video player is used doesn't matter.
-Changing Video Output Module in VLC doesn't make a difference.
-Enabling all the logging in VLC - nothing is logged specifically at the time of flickers.

Looks like Leesureone has linked you a guide on changing your serial number. Every Mac has a serial number that allows Apple to identify your Hackintosh as a specific machine. So you need to change two two items using clover configurator. Download Clover Configurator from here: https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/
Then follow the link in Leesurones answer to you. That is all you need to do to get your Mac working using Leesurones EFI folder on page 91 post 901.
Let us know if you get stuck.

Hello everybody,
I just wanted to tell you that since yesterday I have a full running NUC on macOS Mojave (10.14.6) without major flaws (will be explained below).

BIOS
First I had a lot of trouble with a bios update. The bios had never been updated since I bought the NUC. Bios still had v41 and I have no-one seen mentioning this old version. Bios update was not easy as all attempts in the beginning failed as the update from bios or with F7 resulted in a frozen screen.
Yesterday I wanted to install Windows in order to try the bios update on Windows. Before I started installing Windows I tried F7 for the last time - and it succeeded. First I did an update to v51 and then to v56 which is now my current bios version.
Then I changed all settings to default and changed according to Rehabmans inital post in this thread:
  • Boot->Boot Configuration, disable "Network Boot"
  • Power->Secondary Power Settings, "Wake on LAN from S4/S5", set to "Stay Off"
  • Devices->Video, "IGD Minimum Memory" set to 64mb or 128mb
  • Devices->Video, "IGD Aperture Size" set to 256mb
  • Boot->Secure Boot, "Secure Boot" is disabled
I was not able to find the setting Security->Security Features, "Execute Disable Bit" is enabled. So I left this away.
I also regarded the note on NUC8 ->
in BIOS settings you *must* enable legacy boot (continue to boot UEFI, but enable legacy for CSM)

USB
After the successful bios update I started from scratch. Which means I created a fresh USB install medium using clover v5097. Then I've copied the content from @Leesureone's post #901 to the new EFI partition on my USB stick.
The next step was to create the install_osx partition including the installer for Mojave. That was version 10.14.6

Installation
The first try however failed. Clover launched successfully but without showing any partition to start from. I realised after some time that in the drivers section driver for HFS+ was missing. I've added HFSPlus.efi to folder /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and did a restart. I don't know if this is really needed but this time the install partition was recognised and I was able to start with the installation.

Postinstall
After successful installation I started Clover v5097 on the installed macOS and created an EFI partition on my SSD. Then I've copied the EFI folder from @Leesureone's post. Removed USB Stick - restarted and BOOM.
Some cosmetic changes have been done on config.plist. First I hid all partitions (Recovery, Preboot) and set the timeout on boot to 5s. Then I created a Serial number with Clover configurator.

Result
Since then my "NUCintosh" runs perfectly. I also dared to to the latest system update that came this week. (18G1012)
Everything fine.
Audio works perfectly on the 3,5mm audio jack on the front. I haven't tried HDMI audio but I won't need it anyway. Even microphone support works fine on the jack.
Sleep mode works as it should be. I've tried several times to bring the NUCintosh to sleep mode and was able to re-awake it from sleep. Also if it goes to sleep mode as set up in system preferences I am able to wake it up as intended.
Shutdown also perfect - I had an issue in my first installation where the system was shut down but NUC stayed on.
USB C - I've attached a USB C docking station from Andobil to test:
  • USB3 - check
  • HDMI - check
  • Ethernet - check
  • SD Card reader - check
Downside:
Some parts do not work - but can be neglected as I don't need them:
  • internal WIFI and bluetooth
    • This was to be expected. I want to try an external solution later but in my setup I can very good live with ethernet cable and wired keyboard and mouse
  • NUCs SD Card reader
    • This does not work. However as I mentioned I was able to use the reader on the Docking station.
  • iMessage
    • I was not able to successfully start it. It starts but when I try to enter my AppleID it failed somehow. However I really don't need this. So I can live without it
Conclusion
Everything that I wanted works as dreamed. I may try a wifi bt solution in the future. But this is no critical to me.
I also consider switching to catalina in the future but definitely not in the next 6 months. I've several 32-bit apps I rely on so that is currently not an option for me.

Now the most important part...

CREDITS
Many many thanks go to:
  • Rehabman - for his complete work
  • Leesureone - for helping with his post on NUC8 and providing the EFI folder as a zip file which was super easy to use
  • Spottsy - for giving me the right hint on Leesureones post
Cheers
Poncho

Back