Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Would you explain "continuity" @Leesureone ? My iMessage and Facetime works as intended and I have only ethernet working? iCloud and appstore too. I can send and recieve iMessage etc. When I log in the first time all my previous messages download from icloud.
Now I do own an iphone 6 and iPad that also use iMessage so that might be the difference. I did set up something ages ago that synced my messages using apple icloud.
Continuity is apple’s marketing name for a bunch of features to improve the synergy between macos/ios/ipados. Most usefull for me are airdrop, universal clipboard and instant hotspot. Most of the features require the combination of (direct) wifi + bluetooth.

you can find an overview here:https://www.apple.com/macos/continuity/

For me it’s actually what apple is all about, it’s eco system.

Mine boots so fast that I can’t read most of what’s going by. I forget if there is a way to slow down or capture the output. Wine skin configuration is an issue all to itself so not a good test of anything IMO. I don’t understand your comment about CleanMyMac or why you’d want to run it.

Ok nevermind, thank you for your patience. I found something at google it's only cosmetic problem.

Continuity is apple’s marketing name for a bunch of features to improve the synergy between macos/ios/ipados. Most usefull for me are airdrop, universal clipboard and instant hotspot. Most of the features require the combination of (direct) wifi + bluetooth.

you can find an overview here:https://www.apple.com/macos/continuity/

For me it’s actually what apple is all about, it’s eco system.
Got you. Yeah Airdrop is a nice idea and very useful. Thanks for the answer HedgeHog2k. I'll pull up the link and have a read now. Universal clipboard sounds nice. Didn't know about that. At the moment I send links etc from Windows 10 using messenger app which I have on both.

Catalina WiFi Drivers Realtek Chipset kexts https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Adapter-Clover

So I went to install my TP-Link Archer v1 and the driver install fails due to the NEW read only System-Volume in Catalina.

So found a solution for many usb Realtek chipset drivers for clover and Catalina ready.

Part of the guide wants me to change a clover configurator settings under "system parameters" inject kexts. They want me to change from "Detect" to "Yes" Pic of clover setting to change:

https://i25.servimg.com/u/f25/18/50/18/69/captu819.png

@Leesureone is this compatible with your EFI. It won't mess anything up?

Catalina WiFi Drivers Realtek Chipset kexts https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Adapter-Clover

So I went to install my TP-Link Archer v1 and the driver install fails due to the NEW read only System-Volume in Catalina.

So found a solution for many usb Realtek chipset drivers for clover and Catalina ready.

Part of the guide wants me to change a clover configurator settings under "system parameters" inject kexts. They want me to change from "Detect" to "Yes" Pic of clover setting to change:

https://i25.servimg.com/u/f25/18/50/18/69/captu819.png

@Leesureone is this compatible with your EFI. It won't mess anything up?
You've been on this forum and read posts from users who have issues I wouldn't anticipate. What works for me does not always work for everyone and all I can say is welcome to the world of Hackintosh! In regards to your question the best answer is to just try it and see how your system behaves. You can save a copy of your EFI Folder if you are concerned enough about the change. its pretty minor all in all, but having a back up available somewhere is always a good plan. Also make sure your usb boot disk is still working to get you back into your desktop if there is a problem with the change.

Last edited:
ESSENTIAL MAC OS SOFTWARE suggestions welcome:

Good to hear you got your m.2. BlueTooth/WiFi working @HedgeHog2k.

I don't really care about SIP more of a problem for a tech enthusiast. First thing I do is turn gatekeeper off. It is a good idea for those that don't know how to keep a computer secure. You have to turn off "unsigned kexts" to allow for our hackintosh kexts to be injected anyway.

I think the best way to know if anything nasty is installed on your computer is to put a firewall that checks for any outgoing connetions and you have to give each permission or block it. If you see a program that shoudn't be connectig to the internet and most need this to be malicious then you see it in the firewall warning.

I did some reading about MAC OS firewall which is turned off by default and it only blocks incoming connections.

I can recommend this FREE firewall which is open source is great. It is perfect for all my needs

LuLu: https://objective-see.com/products/lulu.html

It is similar to the paid version LIttel Snitch and does everything I want. There are lots of great reviews. I feel naked without a firewall and knowing what software is connecting to the internet.

I've been working in the Windows world since the early 80's but only the past couple of years in the MAC OS world. I fix PC's and MAC hardware but still researching Mac utilities to match my Windows collection.

What do you suggest are your essential MAC utilities that you use. So far the must have for me are:

Carbon Copy Cloner: The new APFS snapshots that Catalina uses is fantastic. You can roll back any patch or change in the OS and the auto logging does hourly changes. See
I can test all patches that might break my Hackintosh and then roll them back with this software. Plus I do a clone backup to another external SSD for proper backup before anything that might brick my Hackinthosh.

iStat Menu: I like to be able to monitor the important stuff. It costs money but I couldn't find free options this good. You might recommend free versions. On windows 10 all my monitoring software is free.

Free Paragon NTFS: Mac read's NTFS but as I work with Windows a lot I want to swap files to a portable 2.5" external USB drive. Seagate has a free driver that lets you WRITE to windows formatted drives. Seagates link to the download is here https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/item/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/
If you use Western Digital it has a free driver too. https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19554#subject2
When you buy new external hard drives they put this on the hard drive so copy it off before formatting it.
Windows Seagate HFS+ read and write to MAC formatted drives. Note the driver doesn't allow APFS read or write you have to buy that.

That is my short list that have made my transition from the Windows world to Apple Mac. I would LOVE any suggestions just names even and I'll track them down of good utilities you find a must for your Catalina/Mojave OS.
Mac user here for 6 years or so, before that lifetime of windows (since dos).

The tools I always install are:
- homebrew: package manager. I install all my apps with it (brew cask install ....)
- spectacle: window management with shortcuts (full screen, snap to left/right/top/bottom,..)
- vanilla: cleanup my systray
- lastpass: password manager (came from 1password, which is better, but I hate their subscription model)

Sorry, I just built my firsth hackintosh, used an Intel NUC 7i3BNH; I used Sevift Clover Folder after installation of Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2, used this guide to download Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2, I tried with Mojave 10.14.6 using this link - sorry but I don't own a Mac -but for some reason can't even pass the installation process. After the installation of Mojave 10.14.2 I use this EFI Folder and replaced the Clover Folder with Sevift's Clover Folder (Quoting) as I mentioned before and everything is working out of the box, except for the headphone jack port, I'm getting audio but (here I don't know exactly how to explain but I'll try my best), for example in a song, I can hear really well al the instruments but the singer's voice is heard far away.

Here's my Efi Folder, I don't know if you need something else. Thanks in advanced and really sorry for this post. I searched all over google and can't find a fix for this.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    19.5 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
You've been on this forum and read posts from users who have issues I wouldn't anticipate. What works for me does not always work for everyone and all I can say is welcome to the world of Hackintosh! In regards to your question the best answer is to just try it and see how your system behaves. You can save a copy of your EFI Folder if you are concerned enough about the change. its pretty minor all in all, but having a back up available somewhere is always a good plan. Also make sure your usb boot disk is still working to get you back into your desktop if there is a problem with the change.
Yeah I have and tested recently boot disk. I just didn't want to do something that might change the Catalina install itself. All is working well and I always keep a backup of EFI folders on my NAS and USB. I have a clone too of the OS using CCC.

Sorry, I just built my firsth hackintosh, used an Intel NUC 7i3BNH; I used Sevift Clover Folder after installation of Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2, used this guide to download Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2, I tried with Mojave 10.14.6 using this link - sorry but I don't own a Mac -but for some reason can't even pass the installation process. After the installation of Mojave 10.14.2 I use this EFI Folder and replaced the Clover Folder with Sevift's Clover Folder (Quoting) as I mentioned before and everything is working out of the box, except for the headphone jack port, I'm getting audio but (here I don't know exactly how to explain but I'll try my best), for example in a song, I can hear really well al the instruments but the singer's voice is heard far away.

Here's my Efi Folder, I don't know if you need something else. Thanks in advanced and really sorry for this post. I searched all over google and can't find a fix for this.
Careful, you can be banned for using an approved method of installing OS X. That's what happened to the user (left unnamed) whose guide you are referring to. Meanwhile you can't use his EFI folder because it is for an NUC8, it won't work, @Sevift's EFI folder should work though.

Back