Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Good to hear HedgeHog2k keep us in touch when you get the internal cable. You will need to do the mod for the antennas too yeah?
I’m having a hard time finding a proper 4pin 1.25mm pitch internal usb cable in europe. I found a few us sites but then the shipping is 4 times the cost of the cable..

I’m having a hard time finding a proper 4pin 1.25mm pitch internal usb cable in europe. I found a few us sites but then the shipping is 4 times the cost of the cable..
Just curious if you checked Aliexpress?

Hi Dan111,

Try and put your computer to sleep. Make sure to NOT touch mouse etc at all and wait a good 30 seconds. For some reason it can take a while to go to sleep on hackintosh's not like my real Macbook Air.

When it fails open terminal using spotlight search. PASTE THE BELOW COMMAND into Terminal and scroll down the text to the bottom to find what woke your Mac.

log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

I had a piece of software I had installed keeping my mac from sleep when I did this. Best of luck.

Also unplug all usb stuff except the essentials.

I use a usb C display mate to HDMI and it sleeps fine. Also try a different keyboard and mouse. Elimination testing.

I timed how long it takes for my computer to sleep 26 seconds so wait before touching anything. Also don't turn off your TV monitor etc until sleep happens. If I turn off my tv with remote while it is sleeping it stays awake. Normal monitor should not matter.
It could very well be his KVM switch that’s hijacking sleep so suggesting he change keyboard and mouse was a good idea.

Maybe I did not explain myself well
The mac DOES go to sleep, but when I wake it up, a few seconds after (~10sec maybe) it restarts itself for no reason.
I plugged the Nuc to my TV (with HDMI) and the sleep function works well, without the restart when I wake it.
Then, I've plugged it again to my PC display (with USB-C to DisplayPort) and it restarts itself after I wake it up.
The only differences between the 2 test was HDMI port vs. USB-C port (for display), all other things were the same (same keyboard & mouse, different LAN cable but i doubt it matters).
Why does the USB-C makes it restart when it wakes up from sleep?
How can I find the reason (and fix it?)

Thank you

Thank you

So the testing continues. This time the GPU. So I ran compute geekbench 4.4.2 benchmark and got a result of 36792 which is a lot lower then the result of the NUC8i7BEH running Windows10 (OpenCL): which lies around 67000! This really explains why the gaming session I did't was basically unplayable.

Is it normal that the GPU performance is so much lower on MacOS compared to Win10?

So the testing continues. This time the GPU. So I ran compute geekbench 4.4.2 benchmark and got a result of 36792 which is a lot lower then the result of the NUC8i7BEH running Windows10 (OpenCL): which lies around 67000! This really explains why the gaming session I did't was basically unplayable.

Is it normal that the GPU performance is so much lower on MacOS compared to Win10?
Off topic. Best to ask that on another forum.

Try mine. (insert your Serial Number)
Hi Sevift,

thanks for your clover. Managed to install Mojave without any issues.
Everything working ok besides audio.

Now comes the interesting part - update to Catalina.
Does not work with Clover 5070, your Clover files etc.

So I made a clean by
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --nointeraction --downloadassets --volume /Volumes/USB/

installed clover 5070, your folder and run the installation as update.

Worked well so far and after 25min Catalina was up. The thing is, that the installation installed the general Bootloader on the USB Drive. Now the system boots without clover strait into Catalina.

Tried to install the clover on the ssd, but does not work (incompatible error). Nevertheless, the clover comes up when starting without the USB Drive, but Catalina does not start (slow status bar).

So I assume I have the original Bootloader on my USB Drive and it boots from ssd then. System shows correct serial, so there must be some link to EFI on ssd...

Sound is not ok, but working everything else as well.

Just maybe someone is interested, I am using an old Logitech receiver. With Mojave no issue but with Catalina the mouse buttons are not working. Changing the mouse to a cable version works fine.

Maybe someone has an idea.

Thank
Ben

Back