Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Fix for IntelMausi GigaBit issues: "disable "PCIe ASPM Support" in BIOS "Secondary Power Settings" section, this improves Gigabit stability". I had big issues with very high latency and packet loss.

tested using iperf3 (no wire speed because my iperf client was on wifi):

1570694711056.png

Another issue I'm facing: the NUC8i7BEH freezes after some time (hours/over night?) when the display turned off..
. Anyone else with freeze issues?

That is a well documented issue, try doing a search of these forums and then see how many hits you get (hint a whole bunch). The simplest recommendation is to switch browsers, which as you mention, does lead to lower resolutions, acceptable to me but I understand wanting higher resolution. Another suggestion would be to use parallels software to run windows and or get an Apple TV and stream from it.

This article deals with legit Macs but seems to be fairly comprehensive.

https://machow2.com/netflix-for-mac/

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I was aware of issues with macs in general and Windows 10 too. But the issues have to do with older macs running old version of Mac OS.

All windows 10 computers now can get 1080 resolution as long as they use Microsoft Edge as it is the only browser that has the HDCP High definition copy protection built into them from the OS up.

Same with all newer macs running Mojave or newer as along as they use safari. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/55764

I just upgraded my daughters Macbook Air mid 2013 and plugged into my 60 inch TV and it does 1080p nicely in Safari in Catalina.

So I'm guessing since our Catalina NUC8's are to the OS the new Mac Mini's which are more than capable to run Netflix in 1080p then I'm guessing Netflix spits out an error as the HDCP breaks down due to the clover emulation.

I'll install Vmware fusion tomorrow and install Windows 10 and see if that works.

As you say 720p is fine for smaller screens but it looks pretty horrible on a bit TV but maybe I'm picky.

The real fun comes trying to run Netflix etc at 4k UHD lol. Mojave couldn't do it with Netflix. Looks like at least with Catalina they have upgraded their Apple TV to 4k and HDR finally in Catalina. https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1559591926

So complicated.

Fix for IntelMausi GigaBit issues: "disable "PCIe ASPM Support" in BIOS "Secondary Power Settings" section, this improves Gigabit stability". I had big issues with very high latency and packet loss.

tested using iperf3 (no wire speed because my iperf client was on wifi):

1570694711056.png

Another issue I'm facing: the NUC8i7BEH freezes after some time (hours/over night?) when the display turned off..
. Anyone else with freeze issues?

Thanks! I also have this issue from time to time.
Which bios version are you running on? Is sleep working for you?

Thanks! I also have this issue from time to time.
Which bios version are you running on? Is sleep working for you?
most current bios...
if i send it to sleep it sleeps for a few seconds (checked with ping) and wakes up. If I send it to sleep again, it stays there (at least for a few minutest, didn't test longer)

If you want to sleep the machine via screensharing, that is not possible, because screenshared prevents the mac from sleeping. disconnect screen sharing session, connect via ssh and try:
osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to sleep'

or with in a ssh screen session: sleep 5 && pmset sleepnow (sleep 5 gives you 5 seconds to quit your ssh session, otherwise the remote session would also prevent sleeping)

you can check with pmset -g log

Hey! Thanks for the pointer.
I've read up on how to patch the SSDT, but not 100% sure on how to do it yet.
Looking in Hackintool this is what's there in regards to USB.

View attachment 429629

I'm using the SSDT-NUC8-BC.aml from your EFI-folder which, at least in regards to USB is the same as Rehabman's github repo. Also seems to be the same in sarkrui's github repo.
I'm running BIOS 0071. Would these differ from different versions?

Thanks!

I've been using other peoples SSDT files for years without any issues but it has been recommended many times by people smarter than me you don't. That it is much more reliable that you create your own machine specific SSDTs.

What is showing in the HS02 port? Some kind of bluetooth adapter right? That could be what is keeping your hack from sleeping, maybe not.
Edit: one last comment, just because the SSDT_NUC8-BC.aml file is in place doesn't it is the same or that it is doing the same thing on both devices. Its by nature an editable file and unless you opened it with MaciASL to compare the contents you wouldn't know. Hackintool creates a unique kext for your machine that replaces the SSDT file but if your issue is USB related it will help.

Last edited:
I've been using other peoples SSDT files for years without any issues but it has been recommended many times by people smarter than me you don't. That is is much more reliable that you create your own specific SSDTs. What is showing in the HS02 port? Some kind of bluetooth adapter right? That could be what is keeping your hack from sleeping, maybe not.

Hi,

Yes, maybe I should go ahead and give it a try.
Yes, it's indeed a bluetooth adapter but I've tried even without it, i.e nothing plugged into the usb ports and then I get the same error.

Thanks!

I've been using other peoples SSDT files for years without any issues but it has been recommended many times by people smarter than me you don't. That it is much more reliable that you create your own machine specific SSDTs.

What is showing in the HS02 port? Some kind of bluetooth adapter right? That could be what is keeping your hack from sleeping, maybe not.
Edit: one last comment, just because the SSDT_NUC8-BC.aml file is in place doesn't it is the same or that it is doing the same thing on both devices. Its by nature an editable file and unless you opened it with MaciASL to compare the contents you wouldn't know. Hackintool creates a unique kext for your machine that replaces the SSDT file but if your issue is USB related it will help.

Saw your edit. Yeah I get that, I opened the files with MaciASL and compared them manually.

Saw your edit. Yeah I get that, I opened the files with MaciASL and compared them manually.
The attached is a nice overview and guide to creating a USB SSDT of you prefer to go that route.

Last edited:
The attached is a nice overview and guide to creating a USB SSDT of you prefer to go that route.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the link. I only had to disable HS10 (guess this is an internal port or something), did it very basic with a boot flag and still use USBInjectAll, now sleep working perfectly!

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the link. I only had to disable HS10 (guess this is an internal port or something), did it very basic with a boot flag and still use USBInjectAll, now sleep working perfectly!
Awesome, I am glad to hear it worked!

Back