Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Once question @Leesureone, I have a NUC7i5DNK with old Rehabman files working fine in Mojave 10.4.6. Do you recommend me migrate to your EFI files in order to be prepared for Catalina release? Does It work for gen 7 nuc? Thank you!
I would say no, don't use my EFI folder, keep what you have. We already know the NUC7s need different configuration than the NUC8s.

Meanwhile I didn't really change anything and the upgrade worked. You can probably do the same, back up everything, have a boot drive ready, and try the update when its available.

I would say no, don't use my EFI folder, keep what you have. We already know the NUC7s need different configuration than the NUC8s.

Meanwhile I didn't really change anything and the upgrade worked. You can probably do the same, back up everything, have a boot drive ready, and try the update when its available.
Thank you, will try it and come back.

Today, macOS Catalina released. I clean installed it on my NUC8i7BEH and it is working flawlessly using @Leesureone #901 attached EFI Folder. Awesome work, thank you really much!!!

Thank you, will try it and come back.

Today, macOS Catalina released. I clean installed it on my NUC8i7BEH and it is working flawlessly using @Leesureone #901 attached EFI Folder. Awesome work, thank you really much!!!
Thanks for the good words and confirming it worked with the release version!

Only if you were going to change your symbios/ serial number too but you're not. You should be fine.

Hi Leesureone, Thanks for the help. Upgraded to Catalina GM Seed 1 yesterday.

All seemed to work but this morning after sleeping the NUC overnight it woke up but was effectively locked. No apps would open and couldn't reboot. So I had to in the end turn off the power.

The Catalina GM Master just came out so I'm going to update to that and then have a proper play today.

All seems to be working after the reboot. icloud, Appstore, iMessage, Web browsing and LAN plus ethernet.

Not working: Audio still needs unplugging and replugging for audio but had that problem on Mojave. I'll move kexts to L/E folder but someone did that I read yesterday and it didn't work to fix their audio either. I'M GUESSING your audio works because you use the FRONT AUDIO OUT Leesureone.

Also when I woke my NUC from sleeping overnight. Screen TV connected through HDMI started flickering, going black and white snow but unplugging and replugging the HDMI fixed it and also fixes my glitchy audio.

Looking foreward to playing and learning catalina today see what's new. Thanks for your help again.

ALSO CLOVER BOOTLOADER STABLE has updated from 5070 to 5093. Is there any chance you could UPDATE YOUR EFI to the latest clover it might fix some of the above problems. Also and only if you have time can you screenshot what you choose in the clover install so we know what to tick to update CLOVER on our NUCS ourselves. I tried doing it to my EFI a while back and killed my booting lol.

Thanks heaps for helping us all out. I'm learning a lot.

Attachments

• Catalina.png
    Catalina.png
    13.8 MB · Views: 75
Hi Leesureone, Thanks for the help. Upgraded to Catalina GM Seed 1 yesterday.

All seemed to work but this morning after sleeping the NUC overnight it woke up but was effectively locked. No apps would open and couldn't reboot. So I had to in the end turn off the power.

The Catalina GM Master just came out so I'm going to update to that and then have a proper play today.

All seems to be working after the reboot. icloud, Appstore, iMessage, Web browsing and LAN plus ethernet.

Not working: Audio still needs unplugging and replugging for audio but had that problem on Mojave. I'll move kexts to L/E folder but someone did that I read yesterday and it didn't work to fix their audio either. I'M GUESSING your audio works because you use the FRONT AUDIO OUT Leesureone.

Also when I woke my NUC from sleeping overnight. Screen TV connected through HDMI started flickering, going black and white snow but unplugging and replugging the HDMI fixed it and also fixes my glitchy audio.

Looking foreward to playing and learning catalina today see what's new. Thanks for your help again.

ALSO CLOVER BOOTLOADER STABLE has updated from 5070 to 5093. Is there any chance you could UPDATE YOUR EFI to the latest clover it might fix some of the above problems. Also and only if you have time can you screenshot what you choose in the clover install so we know what to tick to update CLOVER on our NUCS ourselves. I tried doing it to my EFI a while back and killed my booting lol.

Thanks heaps for helping us all out. I'm learning a lot.
I use both sources for audio, not at the same time, but usually by default it's HDMI. No idea why you are having issues there. It bothers me but I don't have a recommendation. It will be awhile before I'm able to honor either of your requests, I'm not confident anyway it will change much for us.

I use both sources for audio, not at the same time, but usually by default it's HDMI. No idea why you are having issues there. It bothers me but I don't have a recommendation. It will be awhile before I'm able to honor either of your requests, I'm not confident anyway it will change much for us.

That is ok that you haven't the time to update clover etc. I'm just thankful that you will at some stage post them. Unplugging my hdmi cable and plugging back in is and easy and quick fix. I just upgraded on my test drive to Catalina FINAL GM so will do some poking around. It's a hackintosh and I'm really happy that Catalina even upgraded and works as it does on DAY 1 all thanks to you and your EFI files.

I'll keep my main Samsung M.2 Drive as Mojave for now and keep using Catalina on an external Crucial MX500 SSD SATA drive. Even running Catalina on an External USB drive might be causing sleep bug who knows.

Thanks for you help again Leesureone I wouldn't be watching Catalina Videos today and learning what has changed without your help and generosity. I'll see if I can work out how to update clover myself today. I have made a catalina USB boot drive if I stuff up.

Use zsh instead of bash as the default shell on your Catalina Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208050

So upgrading from Mojave to Catalina changes TERMINAL shell from bash to zsh if you wish it seems. Anyone know if it is ok to change to the newer zsh?

The link above has all the details. I just went into Terminal to make a bootable Catalina USB and got this message?

"The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
NUC-MAC:~ xxxxxxxxxxx$ "

I'll do it and see I can reverse later I'm guessing.

UPDATE: I just ran "chsh -s /bin/zsh"

You can change back to Bash Shell by using terminal and typing `chsh -s /bin/bash`

Last edited:
Hi Rehabman,

thank you for this! I used the guide for a NUC7I3BNH and it works very well. No conflicts during installation. Very nice!
what is your bios version?

So I'm trying to download macOs Catelina but I fail to download the installer. After 50-400mb (random) it just stops and I notice that my network speed is severely crippled.. I never noticed this before.. I was able to download the supplimental update 2 just fine.

Any suggestions?

(upgrade was without any issues on my macbook pro..)

So for some reason my ethernet connection is VERY unstable. One moment it's perfectly fine, next moment internet pages hardly load.. Don't understand why this is happening!

Last edited:
Back