Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Just wondering if anyone has tried playing Starcraft 2 on a NUC7 (Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640) with High Sierra 10.13.6? I get a total system freeze some minutes after starting a game (i.e. in game, not the game menus). No idea why this happens as I have zero stability problems with any other games I've tried on this computer.

I discovered a new problem. After plugging a BT and Wifi Dongle into my USB Hub (with a TimeMachine Disk, Keyboard, Mouse and external Disk USB Adapter already plugged in, so all in all 6 devices), the Hackintosh won’t shutdown properly but will restart after being shutdown. I looked for the SSDT configurations and USBMap/USBInjectall (HS0../SS0..) but wasn’t successful.

Has someone a idea how I can fix this?

Greetings
schlotterp

I discovered a new problem. After plugging a BT and Wifi Dongle into my USB Hub (with a TimeMachine Disk, Keyboard, Mouse and external Disk USB Adapter already plugged in, so all in all 6 devices), the Hackintosh won’t shutdown properly but will restart after being shutdown. I looked for the SSDT configurations and USBMap/USBInjectall (HS0../SS0..) but wasn’t successful.

Has someone a idea how I can fix this?

Greetings
schlotterp
I saw you had downloaded my EFI folder and wondered how compatible it would be with an NUC7 model. There are some specific USB DSDTs in the ACPI/patched folder that are configured for the NUC8s and those are probably causing this problem.

To back track a bit I’m not sure you ever needed the modified config.plist dealing with the RTC fix required for the NUC8s with the newer bios. You might be fine with the config.plist Rehabman wrote...or worst case modify it with the RTC fix if your newer bios requires it.

Meanwhile it’s entirely possible all you need to do is revert back to the original NUC7 USB DSDTs you were using before as long as everything was working then. If swapping those out doesn’t work then you may have to also replace the config.plist.

To new users trying to load Mojave on an NUC8x please be aware this guide is no longer being maintained.
With recent bios updates being pushed out by Intel above version 56 as well as updates by Apple to Mojave beyond 14.2 the guide has become outdated and no longer works as is.

Two additional things are needed at a minimum to be able to reach the Mojave install window.

1. An updated version of the Clover bootloader must be installed, I suggest version 4290 or higher, although slightly older versions will probably work but have not been tested. Rehabman’s version available through the terminal commands in his original guide on Github will cause the installer to halt.

2. An updated config.plist containing an ACPI/DSDT/Patch for an RTC issue that will also cause the installer to stall if your bios is a version higher than 56

***Some users are also apparently unaware that their Samsung 970 EVO plus SSD will also cause install failure if the firmware is not updated first. Visit the Samsung Website for instructions on how to create a bootable USB drive for firmware updates.

The attached EFI folder has all of the above as well as some fixes for onboard Audio and USB C functionality.

If you decide to use it it’s as simple as creating a bootable USB drive using UniBeast and then replacing the EFI folder with the attached.

Once Mojave install is complete and you have then installed an updated version of Clover to your hard drive replace the EFI folder on your hard drive with the same attached folder to finish the job. Afterwards I highly suggest you use Clover Configurator to create a unique serial number (although “continuity” is not an issue unless you have gone the route of adding a Wireless/ Bluetooth card in the one available M2 slot with the appropriate adapter mentioned in various NUC posts). Cheers

Hi Leesureone,
Thanks for your hard work supporting this thread, I have a perfectly stable NUC8i7BEH with, SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB, 32 GB RAM, running mojave 10.14.2, and bios 51 (or 56), is there any practical advantage form the hackintosh functionality to update to bios 71 or newest mojave version? Thanks

About This Release:

• Date: May 10, 2019
  • ME Firmware: 12.0.32.1421
  • EC Firmware: v3.20
  • PMC Firmware:300.1.20.1023
  • Framework Reference Code: Based on 7.0.44.23
  • Memory Reference Code: Based on 7.0.44.23
  • Integrated Graphics:
    • Option ROM: v1017
    • UEFI Driver: v9.0.1084
  • SATA RAID Option ROM: 16.8.0.1000
  • AHCI Code: Based on AHCI_17
  • LAN Option ROM: PXE V0.1.1.3
  • Visual BIOS: 2.2.23

New Fixes/Features:

• Fixed the issue that caused the SSD password to stop working after updating to BIOS 0064 or 0066.
  • Fixed the issue where the fan settings wouldn’t change when changing the “Fan Control Mode” to/from Balanced to Cool.
  • Fixed the issue where wireless is disabled in the BIOS but still appears in Windows device manager.
  • Changed RING LED to RGB LED in the BIOS to match the motherboard silkscreen and Technical Product Specification.
  • Fixed the issue with the password prompt when BitLocker is enabled.
  • Updated the BIOS code for security fixes.
  • Updated Intel ME firmware to version 12.0.23.1311.
  • Fixed issue when keyboard/mouse is connected to Type-C port.
  • Removed option for 2048MB on IGD Aperture Size setting.
  • Fixed issue where HDD password feature doesn’t show in the setup menu with NVME PCIe drive.
  • Updated S3 Indicator blinking behavior.
  • Update Graphics Option ROM to version 1017.
  • Updated Graphics UEFI driver to version 9.0.1084.

Hi Leesureone,
Thanks for your hard work supporting this thread, I have a perfectly stable NUC8i7BEH with, SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB, 32 GB RAM, running mojave 10.14.2, and bios 51 (or 56), is there any practical advantage form the hackintosh functionality to update to bios 71 or newest mojave version? Thanks

About This Release:

• Date: May 10, 2019
  • ME Firmware: 12.0.32.1421
  • EC Firmware: v3.20
  • PMC Firmware:300.1.20.1023
  • Framework Reference Code: Based on 7.0.44.23
  • Memory Reference Code: Based on 7.0.44.23
  • Integrated Graphics:
    • Option ROM: v1017
    • UEFI Driver: v9.0.1084
  • SATA RAID Option ROM: 16.8.0.1000
  • AHCI Code: Based on AHCI_17
  • LAN Option ROM: PXE V0.1.1.3
  • Visual BIOS: 2.2.23

New Fixes/Features:

• Fixed the issue that caused the SSD password to stop working after updating to BIOS 0064 or 0066.
  • Fixed the issue where the fan settings wouldn’t change when changing the “Fan Control Mode” to/from Balanced to Cool.
  • Fixed the issue where wireless is disabled in the BIOS but still appears in Windows device manager.
  • Changed RING LED to RGB LED in the BIOS to match the motherboard silkscreen and Technical Product Specification.
  • Fixed the issue with the password prompt when BitLocker is enabled.
  • Updated the BIOS code for security fixes.
  • Updated Intel ME firmware to version 12.0.23.1311.
  • Fixed issue when keyboard/mouse is connected to Type-C port.
  • Removed option for 2048MB on IGD Aperture Size setting.
  • Fixed issue where HDD password feature doesn’t show in the setup menu with NVME PCIe drive.
  • Updated S3 Indicator blinking behavior.
  • Update Graphics Option ROM to version 1017.
  • Updated Graphics UEFI driver to version 9.0.1084.

Great question, the short answer is no, the functionality is the same in Mojave regardless of the bios version (at least as far as I am aware).

Longer answer is there are security updates for windows and then of course the fixes you posted that might have been an issue for some users.

Nothing wrong with being conservative with bios updates though.

I saw you had downloaded my EFI folder and wondered how compatible it would be with an NUC7 model. There are some specific USB DSDTs in the ACPI/patched folder that are configured for the NUC8s and those are probably causing this problem.

To back track a bit I’m not sure you ever needed the modified config.plist dealing with the RTC fix required for the NUC8s with the newer bios. You might be fine with the config.plist Rehabman wrote...or worst case modify it with the RTC fix if your newer bios requires it.

Meanwhile it’s entirely possible all you need to do is revert back to the original NUC7 USB DSDTs you were using before as long as everything was working then. If swapping those out doesn’t work then you may have to also replace the config.plist.
Man, yesterday I wasn’t able to reach the forum, seemed to have been down for a while.
You’ve misunderstood. I used the config provided in one of a older post for a short period of time to test it. What I’ve discovered during that time was that the internal microphone was working and that Siri was understanding me. But the provided config was all in all unstable on my system so that I moved back to my original config which I still use. But now I run into the problem that I’m not able to use more than 4 USB ports at once. I read a few posts regarding the SSDT settings and the way MacOS handles USB 3 ports (count them twice, SS0x and HS0x). I tried to create my own USBMap.kext and moving away from USBInjectall but wasn’t successful.

Greetings
schlotterp

Man, yesterday I wasn’t able to reach the forum, seemed to have been down for a while.
You’ve misunderstood. I used the config provided in one of a older post for a short period of time to test it. What I’ve discovered during that time was that the internal microphone was working and that Siri was understanding me. But the provided config was all in all unstable on my system so that I moved back to my original config which I still use. But now I run into the problem that I’m not able to use more than 4 USB ports at once. I read a few posts regarding the SSDT settings and the way MacOS handles USB 3 ports (count them twice, SS0x and HS0x). I tried to create my own USBMap.kext and moving away from USBInjectall but wasn’t successful.

Greetings
schlotterp
Sorry I misunderstood, in the original's guide by Rehabman he describes how to create a viable USB SSDT using his Github archives nd the make command. As long as you downloaded his projects folder you can run the two commands any time. If I remember correctly you have to copy them once created from your projects to the ACPI/ Patched folder.

From Rehabman: To finish the setup, we need a correctly patched ACPI.

In Terminal:
Code:
make
make install_nuc7

If that doesn't work Hackintool available on this site can help create a valid USB SSDT. Its the Swiss army knife utility.

Last edited:
Sorry I misunderstood, in the original's guide by Rehabman he describes how to create a viable USB SSDT using his Github archives nd the make command. As long as you downloaded his projects folder you can run the two commands any time. If I remember correctly you have to copy them once created from your projects to the ACPI/ Patched folder.

From Rehabman: To finish the setup, we need a correctly patched ACPI.

In Terminal:
Code:
make
make install_nuc7

If that doesn't work Hackintool available on this site can help create a valid USB SSDT. Its the Swiss army knife utility.
I followed RehabMans Guide but I will take a look at Hackintool, thanks.

Greetings
schlotterp

BIOS settings

On my NUC7i7BNH, BIOS version 040 was installed (now updated to 045 yet).

The boot menu and BIOS setup can be accessed by mashing the F2 key during BIOS startup. After the main screen comes up choose "Advanced". That gets you to the main BIOS setup screens.

To start, choose "Load Defaults" (choose from the menu or press F9 in the BIOS setup).

Then change:
- Boot->Boot Configuration, disable "Network Boot"
- Power->Secondary Power Settings, "Wake on LAN from S4/S5", set to "Stay Off"

These settings are important but are already set as needed by "Load Defaults"
- Devices->Video, "IGD Minimum Memory" set to 64mb or 128mb
- Devices->Video, "IGD Aperture Size" set to 256mb
- Boot->Secure Boot, "Secure Boot" is disabled
- Security->Security Features, "Execute Disable Bit" is enabled.

Suggested:
- Boot->Boot Priority->Legacy Boot Priority, disable "Legacy Boot" (it will reduce confusion).
Exception: NUC8 (read above NUC8 notes)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BR3HCZ3/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
and I keep getting restarts or that white crossed circle.

there is no IGD option AFAIK on the intel visual bios. only auto enable and disable. Also I couldn't disable UEFI boot as per the picture. only enable legacy usb support.

using default installer guide (for any intel pc) my computer could get to disk utility and install Mac OS option but wouldn't see internal hard drive(Samsung 860 EVO m2). Using THESE bios settings my computer keeps resetting during installation, so I can't get past clover installation selection from USB.

tried installing with unibeast UEFI USB/thunderbolt and no graphical options checked.
tried thunderbolt boot with security level set to legacy (but I'm not sure its the same legacy)
Tried USB with UEFI enabled and legacy support.

I did unibeast and replaced clover EFi with the EFI found here : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/intel-hades-canyon-nuc.250600/page-14#post-1866456

Any ideas how to stop the restarts? Any plists or something that can be done to USB before I put into NUC to start install?

Can someone help me, as I have read so many posts and I still don't have a solution.

I'm running NUC 7I7 and I was able to get the os installed to where I can select the boot from os drive. When I select that it takes me to the select language screen but my mouse and key board won't work. Then I made some changes and now when I select the OS drive it takes me to the mac logo and progress bar where it sits forever.

If I go back to the other plist file I can get to the os setup screen but with no USB support. Please help as I feel that I'm very close to getting this working. Thank you.

I'm running the plist file from the rehab man guide.

I get to step 8 on post #2 and this is where I'm stuck.

Last edited:
Back