Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

I have a Sonnet breakaway box and a Vega 56. The same combo works just fine with my 2018 MBP. So the hardware works. I just have yet to figure out what I did the first time to make it work. One of things was to make sure the SMBIOS was set to Macmini8,1 which it is. It could be that the newer intel bios broke something because it worked with Bios 0056. I tried downgrading a couple of ways (removing the security jumper, power button method) no dice.

I have a Sonnet breakaway box and a Vega 56. The same combo works just fine with my 2018 MBP. So the hardware works. I just have yet to figure out what I did the first time to make it work. One of things was to make sure the SMBIOS was set to Macmini8,1 which it is. It could be that the newer intel bios broke something because it worked with Bios 0056. I tried downgrading a couple of ways (removing the security jumper, power button method) no dice.
Gotcha

Hi guys!

I decided to update things on my NUC7 running High Sierra, so I did:

Code:
git stash
git pull
make clean
make
make install_nuc7
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh

Then I downloaded an installed the latest Clover. Checked for only EFI/Clover/kexts/Other to be existing. Updated (replaced) my config.plist with the config_nuc7.plist from the git repository and then copied in my details for SMBIOS from my old config.plist. After a restart and trying to boot from my drive with High Sierra (waiting to go Mojave a little longer) this happens:

So, I’m stuck in a loop. Any ideas?

Aha, wait a minute – I should have just done ”Updates to patch repositories” in @RehabMan 's first post in this thread, now I did the step where it says ”System updates”, is that why I can’t boot High Sierra anymore? :-/

Edit:
Managed to fix it. Running the Clover installer PKG removed some items from the EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder, such as ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi and OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi which seems vital to booting MacOS. Putting them back from the Clover PKG using the great software Suspicious Package made things work again.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

I decided to update things on my NUC7 running High Sierra, so I did:

Code:
git stash
git pull
make clean
make
make install_nuc7
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh

Then I downloaded an installed the latest Clover. Checked for only EFI/Clover/kexts/Other to be existing. Updated (replaced) my config.plist with the config_nuc7.plist from the git repository and then copied in my details for SMBIOS from my old config.plist. After a restart and trying to boot from my drive with High Sierra (waiting to go Mojave a little longer) this happens:

So, I’m stuck in a loop. Any ideas?

Aha, wait a minute – I should have just done ”Updates to patch repositories” in @RehabMan 's first post in this thread, now I did the step where it says ”System updates”, is that why I can’t boot High Sierra anymore? :-/
You should be able to boot off your USB drive if you still have it. If not that's going to be your path to recovery so you can make corrections to what you overwrote.

Hi guys,
I followed this guide back in December, updating to 14.5 progressively and have not had problems with the system, I have kept the same BIOS version since install. I noticed that @RehabMan 's files have not been updated in a while.

Reading the last few pages, I gather that everything related to Hackintosh is now out of date, so how should I get everything updated? I downloaded @Leesureone 's EFI folder from a couple of pages back, what order should I do things in, between Clover, Kext and others?

This is my first Hackintosh, and I am not even sure how I should update Kexts and Clover as Rehabman had many steps scripted. I tried to Google, but there seems to be many conflicting guides. What are the guides suitable for NUC8 to update Clover and Kexts?

Hi guys,
I followed this guide back in December, updating to 14.5 progressively and have not had problems with the system, I have kept the same BIOS version since install. I noticed that @RehabMan 's files have not been updated in a while.

Reading the last few pages, I gather that everything related to Hackintosh is now out of date, so how should I get everything updated? I downloaded @Leesureone 's EFI folder from a couple of pages back, what order should I do things in, between Clover, Kext and others?

This is my first Hackintosh, and I am not even sure how I should update Kexts and Clover as Rehabman had many steps scripted. I tried to Google, but there seems to be many conflicting guides. What are the guides suitable for NUC8 to update Clover and Kexts?
@jmjmjm, parts of this guide are outdated but the kexts and drivers64UEFI needed are the same. You can update clover directly through a download from Sound Forge or via the Clover Configurator app. Same for the kexts, you can google the kext and download directly from Github or wherever or again use Clover Configurator. Meanwhile if everything works then you don't have to update anything, your option.

The guide is outdated now and not being maintained. You can’t use Rehabmans config.plist for bios version 56 and above, new machines come with version 71. It just doesn’t work anymore. Also Rehabmans version of clover is outdated and will not work above mojave 14.2. Download the newest version from sound forge and reinstall. On the page before this one I posted my EFI folder that you can use to replace yours after updating clover.

Just to be clear, the latest Clover with the latest BIOS will run Mojave 10.14.5?

Yes, if you also update your config.plist to include the RTC fix that is mentioned several times in this thread.
The latest bios seems to be 79 for the Nuc7. I'm on 72, but I also haven't tried a new one like 78 oder 79. I'm curious to know if someone is on a higher bios version.

Greetings
schlotterp

Attachments

• IMG_5236.jpg
    IMG_5236.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 389
  • Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-10 um 17.55.03.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-10 um 17.55.03.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 372
To new users trying to load Mojave or Catalina on an NUC8x please be aware this guide is no longer being maintained.
With recent bios updates being pushed out by Intel above version 56 as well as updates by Apple to Mojave beyond 14.2 the guide has become outdated and no longer works as is.

Two additional things are needed at a minimum to be able to reach the Mojave or Catalina install window. If you are trying to install Big Sur please do not attempt to use Clover, instead use OpenCore 6.3 or above.

1. At minimum an updated version of the Clover bootloader must be installed, I suggest version 5107 or higher, although slightly older versions will probably work but have not been tested. Rehabman’s version available through the terminal commands in his original guide on Github will cause the installer to halt. Instead of using Clover I highly recommend using a version of one of the OpenCore bootloader EFI folders attached. I haven’t updated the Clover version in about a year and have no plans to do so.

2. An updated config.plist containing an ACPI/DSDT/Patch for an RTC issue that will also cause the installer to stall if your bios is a version higher than 56

***Some users are also apparently unaware that their Samsung 970 EVO plus SSD will also cause install failure if the firmware is not updated first. Visit the Samsung Website for instructions on how to create a bootable USB drive for firmware updates.

The attached EFI folder has all of the above as well as some fixes for onboard Audio and USB C functionality and Bluetooth.

If you decide to use it it’s as simple as creating a bootable USB drive using UniBeast, mounting the invisible EFI partition on the USB drive and then replacing the EFI folder with the attached.

Once OSX install is complete repeat the process of mounting the EFI folder on your hard drive and again replace the EFI folder with the same attached folder to finish the job. Afterwards I highly suggest you use Clover Configurator to create a unique serial number for working iCloud and iMessage (although “continuity” is not an issue unless you have gone the route of adding a Wireless/ Bluetooth card in the one available M2 slot with the appropriate adapter mentioned in various NUC posts).
Being you are creating a Hackintosh be aware even if you have the exact same model there can be issues. I do not have all the answers and am not at the level of the moderators but will try to help you sort out whatever. Cheers and good luck.

Edit: If you are installing Mojave and have issues with crackling sound from the headphone jack several users have reported success installing all kexts, with the exception of FakeSMC.kext, to the Library/Extensions folder. Audio over HDMI and the headphone jack both should work. This will not work in Catalina or Bog Sur but you can change the Layout ID using Hackintool as described here by JayMonkey
an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063

EFI History

6/18/20 Added Updated NUC10i7 OC5.9 New and Improved
8/5/20 Added NUC8 OC6.0
8/29/20 Added NUC10i7 OC6.0
9/22/20 Added NUC10i7 OC6.1
9/25/20 Update NUC8OC6.0 to include USBC Fix, No Internal Headers Enabled
9/26/20 Added NUC8OC6.1 same as above
10/8/20 Added NUC8OC6.2 same as above
11/7/20 Added NUC8i7OC6.3 Big Sur Release 1 Ready
12/7/20 Added NUC8i7OC6.4 Also Big Sur Ready
1/7/21 Added NUC8i&OC6.5 Also Big Sur Ready
2/4/21 Added NUC8i7OC6.6 Also Big Sur Ready
3/7/21 Added NUC8i7OC6.7 Also Big Sur Ready
4/5/21 Added NUC8i7OC6.8.EFI
5/7/21 Added NUC8i7OC6.9 EFI
6/9/21 Added NUC8i7OC7.0 EFI
7/10/21 Added NUC8i7OC7.1 EFI
9/9/21 Added NUC8i7OC7.3 All main Kexts updated too including itlwm.kext for wireless, use a plist editor to add your SSD and password to be able to connect or use the Heliport App.
10.25.21 Added NUC8i7OC7.4, the FakePCIID.kexts seem to be causing lock ups and HDMI audio did not seem to be working anyway, this version they are disabled to prevent that. Bluetooth may also be an issue, please test and report back.
10/30/21 Update NUC8i7OC7.4 with working HDMI Sound and Bluetooth (BT may still be flakey, have not tested enough)
11/2/21 Added NUCi7OC7.5 same as above, all seems to be working fine but please advise of any issues you find
12/8/21 Added NUC8i7OC7.6
1/17/22 Added NUC8i7OC7.7 with OpenIntel Wireless Kext for Monterey, Versions for Big Sur etc. available on Github
2/14/22 Added NUC8i7OC7.8
3/15/22 Added New NUC8i7OC7.9 For Some Users Who Could Not Boot Using My Settings, Not Fully Tested
3/19/22 Added Original Nuc8i7OC7.9 Reenabled NVRAM Reset, I recommend trying this version first
7/5/22 Skipped 8.0 uploaded 8.1 with original configuration, to add rest NVRAM you have to add the new driver and also add it to config.plist.
10/10/22 Uploaded 8.4 and 8.5 for the NUC8
6/8/23 Uploaded OC 9.2 for Ventura 13.4. Bluetooth is not currently working, if you need it please do not update Ventura to 13.4

Attachments

• NUC8CloverEFI.zip
    26.8 MB · Views: 633
  • NUC10i76.1EFI.zip
    12 MB · Views: 355
  • EFINUCi7OC6.9.zip
    31.5 MB · Views: 185
  • EFINUCi7OC7.0.zip
    31.4 MB · Views: 148
  • EFINUCi7OC7.1.zip
    31.5 MB · Views: 212
  • NUC8i7OC7.3.zip