Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Hi, I have your same model... but for me a usb and the thunderbolt aren't working can you share with me your refi folder?

thanks
Like I wrote, I followed the guide. I doubt my files will help you. But, you can try it.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    7.9 MB · Views: 104
HI, I have a NUC8i5BEH

I followed this guide... but I can't get 3 things to work

1) One of the rear usb isn't working at all...
2)Thunderbolt only work is the device is plugged before boot (hot plug isn't working)
3)Bluetooth card isn't working, but I can see it in the preferences pane. I explain, I can see the pane but it won't find any devices. If it is impossible to get work, I have a usb dongle that work on an another hack and I'd like to use it, is it possible?

I attach my debug result

Thanks,
Jacopo

No ioreg in the debug zip. Please check your files carefully before upload.
TB3 is as documented in post #1.
Intel BT/WiFi not supported as documented in post #1.

You will need to be specific about which USB port is not working.
You should check if the port is enabled in BIOS and is working in Windows.

Hello RehabMan,

Thanks again for the helpful guide and the continuous support on updating all the config.plist files.
I purchased the Intel NUC8i5BEH to see if there are any improvements over my Intel NUC5i3. I followed the steps and it just works perfect, even USB-C (Thunderbolt) is functional with my LG 32UD89-W 4K-Monitor without changing any IDs this time.
Unfortunately, there is one thing that doesn't seem to work and that is Bluetooth. I know Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are always not that great supported with the built-in Intel hardware, but Bluetooth was working with my Intel NUC5. Does a bios update make sense? Or have you got some recommendations for bluetooth or Wi-Fi cards without sacrificing my M2-Slot.

You can use a USB BT device (don't forget to disable the onboard BT). Refer to the buyer's guide.
For WiFi, there are some USB WiFi adapters that work with macOS, but I don't use them, and can't make any recommendation.

Fortunately, this is a desktop computer, so we can use Ethernet for internet connectivity.

Do you know why the scaled resolutions (2560x1440/3008x1692/3360x1890) are kind of slow/not that fluent (tested by opening the lunchpad) compared to the 1920x1080@60Hz and the native 4k@60Hz resolution?

You should expect that the scaled resolutions you mention are a bit slower than native resolution, as those resolutions have an extra scaling step. For example, 2560x1440 is rendered at 5120x2880 then scaled to native 3840x2160. It is that extra scaling step that extracts a performance penalty (as is mentioned by Apple in SysPrefs->Display for those selections).

Best to stick with native resolution, or a 2x resolution such as 1920x1080 for your scenario. IMO, this makes large 4k monitors a bit of a mismatch. I'd tend to stick with a 4k monitor that would be comfortable to use at 1080p HiDPI, such as a 4k 24" monitor.

No ioreg in the debug zip. Please check your files carefully before upload.
TB3 is as documented in post #1.
Intel BT/WiFi not supported as documented in post #1.

You will need to be specific about which USB port is not working.
You should check if the port is enabled in BIOS and is working in Windows.

Now the USB port is working, and I remade the debug files... sorry for the mistake

so now I only need to disable the internal bluetooth card to use my usb dongle...

Attachments

• DebugFiles.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 76
How can i disable the internal bluetooth

Check BIOS settings.

Also why some people got bluetooth working?

BT will likely work if you run Windows first, then restart into macOS (Windows loads BT controller firmware).

I have a hunch my problem of not booting with legacy boot enabled on my NUC comes down to my Samsung 950 pro, which includes a legacy boot rom.
Which brand and models of NVME drives are you using on your successful NUC8 hackintoshes?

The 2nd thing that comes to mind is that somehow bios was corrupted when upgrading and it cannot overwrite certain values even if using recovery bios mode (by removing the jumper and upgrading with .bio file).

Anyway, I will be away for 2 days, so I won't be able to properly test it. But will do so soon using a Samsung 970 evo on Friday.

Awaiting your responses on the brands and models of NMVE drives you use.

PS. Sorry if this sounds as off-topic, but i believe this can be a valid troubleshooting scenario that has to be included in the guide if it proves true

I have a hunch my problem of not booting with legacy boot enabled on my NUC comes down to my Samsung 950 pro, which includes a legacy boot rom.
Which brand and models of NVME drives are you using on your successful NUC8 hackintoshes?

The 2nd thing that comes to mind is that somehow bios was corrupted when upgrading and it cannot overwrite certain values even if using recovery bios mode (by removing the jumper and upgrading with .bio file).

Anyway, I will be away for 2 days, so I won't be able to properly test it. But will do so soon using a Samsung 970 evo on Friday.

PS. Sorry if this sounds as off-topic, but i believe this can be a valid troubleshooting scenario that has to be included in the guide if it proves true

I am using a Samsung 970 EVO 250GB successfully on my NUC8i7BEH. APFS, trim, no problems so far.

I use Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M2 NVME for osx ( APFS, trim ok ) and Crucial M500 250 GB SATA for windows.

Back