Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Setting framebuffer-patch-enable to 0 fixed the problem. Thanks.

Thanks....changed up the patching for this model to leave the LVDS connector @0 instead of eliminating it.
(patching still needed for HDMI audio enabling)

Do you recommend the Lenovo BCM94352Z instead of Dell one?

I have both and have used either on various laptops, NUCs, etc.
Maybe you just got unlucky with a defective unit.

Hello @RehabMan

I've set up Mojave on my NUC7i3BNH and everything works perfectly. Great work.

The only inconvenience I'm having is with displays. A fresh install defaults to the 1080p setting, but that setting looks very uncrisp and misaligned on my 4k TV (via HDMI 2.0). If I set the setting to 3840x2160 (4k) the picture is very crisp and perfectly aligned with the corners of my TV. However, everything appears pretty tiny. Is there a way to display the picture in 4k, but have everything appear bigger (like display scaling setting in Windows)?

Thanks in advance.

Hello @RehabMan

I've set up Mojave on my NUC7i3BNH and everything works perfectly. Great work.

The only inconvenience I'm having is with displays. A fresh install defaults to the 1080p setting, but that setting looks very uncrisp and misaligned on my 4k TV (via HDMI 2.0). If I set the setting to 3840x2160 (4k) the picture is very crisp and perfectly aligned with the corners of my TV. However, everything appears pretty tiny. Is there a way to display the picture in 4k, but have everything appear bigger (like display scaling setting in Windows)?

Thanks in advance.

Use a HiDPI mode.
Refer to this guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/adding-using-hidpi-custom-resolutions.133254/

Attachments

• debug_30123.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 73

Still looks like a timing/race condition in Lilu/AppleALC.

Try with attached Lilu.kext.
It has a new kernel flag: lilupcidelay

Try with various values, for example:
lilupcidelay=100
lilupcidelay=500
lilupcidelay=1000

Note: I did some testing here, and debug kernel logs from Lilu and its plugins are not reliable, so we can't trust any of the Lilu related logs in kernel_log.txt.

You could also try direct inject of alc-layout-id=1 and layout-id=7.
Set layout-id via AUDL in SSDT-NUC7.aml.
That would avoid the Lilu/AppleALC code that is attempting to translate injected layout-id=1 to alc-layout-id=1 and layout-id=7.
Set alc-layout-id via config.plist/Devices/Properties/PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1f,3)/alc-layout-id=1

Attachments

• RehabMan-Lilu-2018-1029.zip
    56.2 KB · Views: 70
Good news!

15996 with delay (not working)

26283 with
alc-layout-id=1 and layout-id=7

26283 - sound is working, except HDMI audio

Attachments

• debug_26823.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 65
  • debug_15996.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 73
Good news!

15996 with delay (not working)

No lilupcidelay specified in config.plist/Boot/Arguments

26283 with

26283 - sound is working, except HDMI audio

At least we can direct inject these values to work around Lilu problems/bugs.

No idea why HDMI audio is not working for you. You might try with FAKH=0 (disables FakePCIID_HDMI_Audio.kext).

Hey All,

Love all the work everyone has put in to get a stable Hackintosh on the Intel NUCs, shout out to you @RehabMan.

I've been Hackintoshing a lot of my laptops I've acquired, with very mixed results, long story short, i'm a rookie at this.

However, I have recently purchased a NUC8i5BEK, and very tempted to make it a cheaper Mac Mini, my NUC has the exact CPU as the MBP 2018 (i5-8259U), so I like the odds on getting this to work near enough 100%, and would be willing to participate in the forums to resolve as many of the bugs as possible.

Only problem is, I have the NUC8 connected to two 4K 50'' TVs (one via HDMI, the other via a Startech TB to HDMI dongle) - After reading through the posts, I can see a few of you's having issues with multiple displays (I recall seeing a workaround by having only one HDMI source connected until boot, then plug in the other HDMI and you're off) - with that in mind, That would be a deal-breaker for me, due to my setup - it would be super inconvenient.

TL:DR - Is there a permanent fix for this? I wouldn't like the effort to get MacOS installed if I can't rectify this.

Cheers in advance for any help with this!

Hey All,

Love all the work everyone has put in to get a stable Hackintosh on the Intel NUCs, shout out to you @RehabMan.

I've been Hackintoshing a lot of my laptops I've acquired, with very mixed results, long story short, i'm a rookie at this.

However, I have recently purchased a NUC8i5BEK, and very tempted to make it a cheaper Mac Mini, my NUC has the exact CPU as the MBP 2018 (i5-8259U), so I like the odds on getting this to work near enough 100%, and would be willing to participate in the forums to resolve as many of the bugs as possible.

Only problem is, I have the NUC8 connected to two 4K 50'' TVs (one via HDMI, the other via a Startech TB to HDMI dongle) - After reading through the posts, I can see a few of you's having issues with multiple displays (I recall seeing a workaround by having only one HDMI source connected until boot, then plug in the other HDMI and you're off) - with that in mind, That would be a deal-breaker for me, due to my setup - it would be super inconvenient.

TL:DR - Is there a permanent fix for this? I wouldn't like the effort to get MacOS installed if I can't rectify this.

Cheers in advance for any help with this!

Well, you can always give it a try and see what happens...
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'm curios what @RehabMan thinks of the new Mac mini. Maybe not the right forum, but not totally unrelated, right? :)

Back