Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Does anyone get random green flash when using HDMI ports between a 4K60Hz UHD4K2K Acer screen and NUC8iBEH ?
i'm running 10.14.5 everything ok (in 1920x1080 on a FHD Dell screen).
Before spending money in a USB C / ThunderBolt 3 -> Display port adpater i would take some feedback on that septup.
The flash just happens every so often or at boot up?

in fact i get some flashes aproximately every 3 minutes, sometimes it takes much more and sometimes less with 3/4 in one minute, no matter what resolutions i use i've tried 1920x1080 and 2304x1096 (the only two i really need).
during flashes i get lags in audio via hdmi too.

ps: i've tried the cable with my MBA 13" 2015 it's not flashing but i only get FHD not 4K (maybe it's hardware limitation) Apple is not clear regarding 4K compatibilty.

Last edited:
in fact i get some flashes aproximately every 3 minutes, sometimes it takes much more and sometimes less with 3/4 in one minute, no matter what resolutions i use i've tried 1920x1080 and 2304x1096 (the only two i really need).
during flashes i get lags in audio via hdmi too.

ps: i've tried the cable with my MBA 13" 2015 it's not flashing but i only get FHD not 4K (maybe it's hardware limitation) Apple is not clear regarding 4K compatibilty.
4K is its own issue, could be a boot argument you can add in the config.plist, not sure though. You can also try removing the comment I have under graphics and see what that does. Back up the config.plist first so you can go back if something goes sideways.

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>ig-platform-id</key>
<string>0x3EA50009</string>

still getting some flashes, less but still there.
ps: no green flashes under the bios so i'm sure it's a Kext or id that occure.
ps2: i add a "#" before ig-platform-id cause i thaught it was missing.

Last edited:
still getting some flashes, less but still there.
ps: no green flashes under the bios so i'm sure it's a Kext or id that occure.
ps2: i add a "#" before ig-platform-id cause i thaught it was missing.
The resolution of the bios is low....using the # is how you comment out a line, or bypass it, using Xcode.

so with or without # it's the same issue. this not just a screen issue, indeed when flashes come, every task are affected
data copy crash, audio stop etc it looks like shortcut ... it works perfectly in FHD on a friend's screen.
i'm so sad i've just baught this NUC specialy for 4k in replacement of my HP 8300 with 1050Ti thats made the job so well.
if RehabMan should give us the right ig-platform and/or kext to use in 4K ... he starts some advices but out of my knowledge:
Also, kernel flag -cdfon may help with certain 4k scenarios.

so with or without # it's the same issue. this not just a screen issue, indeed when flashes come, every task are affected
data copy crash, audio stop etc it looks like shortcut ... it works perfectly in FHD on a friend's screen.
i'm so sad i've just baught this NUC specialy for 4k in replacement of my HP 8300 with 1050Ti thats made the job so well.
if RehabMan should give us the right ig-platform and/or kext to use in 4K ... he starts some advices but out of my knowledge:
-cdfon is already included in the boot arguments in my config.plist in the EFI folder I posted. Rehabman seems to have retired back in March but this is what he states at the beginning of the guide about what works: "I don't have a 4k monitor, so I didn't test 4k DP video. Reports are that it works with certain monitors."

Last edited:
-cdfon is already included in the boot arguments in my config.plist in the EFI folder I posted. Rehabman seems to have retired back in March but this is what he states at the beginning of the guide about what works: "I don't have a 4k monitor, so I didn't test 4k DP video. Reports are that it works with certain monitors."
ok before to let it drop and go for a FHD screen, do you think i should get better result with a USB-C to Display port adapter ?

ok before to let it drop and go for a FHD screen, do you think i should get better result with a USB-C to Display port adapter ?
An adapter or a usbc to DP cable is cheaper...and probably returnable.

So I bought a new lid for my NUC8i5BEH with two USB 2 ports in it connected to the internal USB headers. Works fine in Windows but dead in 10.14.6. I presume this is due to the USB port limit in OSX, is this correct?

Back