Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690 Rog Strix G Gaming
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have looked over the linked Dortania and it looks like a lot of details which may make it a troublesome way to go. I can do a new build...
1.---- Is it easier to build a new SSD with a clean install of O.C. 6.6 on it and then port docs (Migrate) etc over to the new OC drive?
2.------ If so which is the best Install Instructions to use?
3.------ I am working on the USB ports using Hackintool and hope to do it right this time. I suspect the USBports file will work with the new OC install.?
1. That's easy enough, back up first, then build your USB Bootable drive.
2. I use the Apple "Create Media" method but that requires a working Mac that has downloaded the OS install software. The I use EFI Agent to (you can use other utilities or terminal commands) mount the USB drives EFI partition and copy and paste my EFI folder onto it. Reboot and install. Once complete do the same thing and mount the Hard Drive EFI partition and copy over the same EFI folder. Then use the program GENSYMBIOS to update serial numbers.
3. Maybe, if its done correctly. Just follow the guide

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have, I believe most of us with the i7 have. EFI folders on page 90 of this thread but if your drive isn't set up properly or if there are remnants of clover on your system then you will have problems.
1.---- I seem to have a new problem. The NUC went to sleep and locked up. I can't get the Nvme or USB/SSD to boot. I tried a Cat Install usb to boot it but that did not work. I will try to do a repair recovery next then do a back up of the two drives.
2.------ If so which is the best Install Instructions to use? I am on my MacMini so I will try to download a fresh copy of Catalina. I tried to get it a couple days ago and could not find it. Apple seems to have changed the App Store. I did not see any of the OSes that I have downloaded listed. Are you aware of a changed.
3.------ Which page is the correct Guide on? Dortania looked like an upgrade of Clover and I am thinking I should give up on Clover. I can do the install on a clean formatted drive.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
1.---- I seem to have a new problem. The NUC went to sleep and locked up. I can't get the Nvme or USB/SSD to boot. I tried a Cat Install usb to boot it but that did not work. I will try to do a repair recovery next then do a back up of the two drives.
2.------ If so which is the best Install Instructions to use? I am on my MacMini so I will try to download a fresh copy of Catalina. I tried to get it a couple days ago and could not find it. Apple seems to have changed the App Store. I did not see any of the OSes that I have downloaded listed. Are you aware of a changed.
3.------ Which page is the correct Guide on? Dortania looked like an upgrade of Clover and I am thinking I should give up on Clover. I can do the install on a clean formatted drive.
Leesureone: Update on my last post. I formatted a new drive with APFS - GUID. I created a thumb drive to install Big Sur. I put O.C.6.6.2 in the TD EFI folder. Booted NUC8i7BEH with TD chose Install Big Sur when OC came up with the Drive Selection screen. With a couple boots I had my Catalina OS installed. No.... that was not a typo or confusion. It gave me the option of Catalina so I installed CAT, which is what I wanted rather than Big Sur. The install has BT, NIC, and Hopefully all USB ports are working as intended. I will be finishing it up and testing. It is finally looking good again. I made a couple mistakes and there were a hiccup or two (NUC locked up), but I found it was relatively easy to do it that way. I only need to know if migrating my other drive will mess things up or should I install all programs newly and only copy over docs?

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Leesureone: Update on my last post. I formatted a new drive with APFS - GUID. I created a thumb drive to install Big Sur. I put O.C.6.6.2 in the TD EFI folder. Booted NUC8i7BEH with TD chose Install Big Sur when OC came up with the Drive Selection screen. With a couple boots I had my Catalina OS installed. No.... that was not a typo or confusion. It gave me the option of Catalina so I installed CAT, which is what I wanted rather than Big Sur. The install has BT, NIC, and Hopefully all USB ports are working as intended. I will be finishing it up and testing. It is finally looking good again. I made a couple mistakes and there were a hiccup or two (NUC locked up), but I found it was relatively easy to do it that way. I only need to know if migrating my other drive will mess things up or should I install all programs newly and only copy over docs?
Great. If its not too much hassle I would start fresh, you can restore from time machine but there are caveats (which I forget, some stuff should not be restored)

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i5BEH
CPU
i5-8259U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
No reason not to do any of those things, I think Big Sur requires a little more overhead and that may be all it is. You can also try adjusting the fan speed in the bios
Just a quick note...for those that have not pulled out the motherboard, the fan on the bottom is right up against the heatsink fins....I had an amazing build up of dust between the two...hard to believe much air was getting across the fins. Saw some other recommendations that cleaning this out might be something to do on a yearly basis.

2/16 update - I cleaned it out on Sunday - in 2 1/2 days the only time I heard my fan was when I did a geekbench test. If your fan is loud definately consider taking the NUC apart and blowing out the dust!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi
It's me again @Leesureone , for some reason since 6.3 and beyond I have horrible bootup time that actually lasts up to 2-3 minutes. I have a Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD.
Was hoping that this more recent build would fix it but it does not seem to back off. So I am asking for your expertise with this.
EFI is 6.6 latest from yours. If you need any more insights, tests from me feel free to tell me.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.9 MB · Views: 124

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi
It's me again @Leesureone , for some reason since 6.3 and beyond I have horrible bootup time that actually lasts up to 2-3 minutes. I have a Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD.
Was hoping that this more recent build would fix it but it does not seem to back off. So I am asking for your expertise with this.
EFI is 6.6 latest from yours. If you need any more insights, tests from me feel free to tell me.
This is the first time in over 300 pages I've ever heard a user report slow boot times. My only suggestion at this point is to turn on the -v flag (its off now) so you can see where it stops or slows down (you should see "ignoring kextcache from early boot" early on where it will pause for a couple of seconds, that's normal). Pay attention to other stops points and take a photo or write down what it says and then post it or search Dortania for an answer.

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have, I believe most of us with the i7 have. EFI folders on page 90 of this thread but if your drive isn't set up properly or if there are remnants of clover on your system then you will have problems.
I had my NUC stop working, but reinstalled Cat and maybe EFI. The Hacs don't seem to like having more than one drive running Clover on the NUCs (I had three installed). The Clover installs seem to write on each other's EFIs (and Win10's efi which I removed). This is probably half of my troubles with the Hacs. I got it working again and am trying to put the serials into it with SMBIOS and got a serial that is Invalid and one that is not activated/Validated. The problem is that the instructions say that you want number three (Validated) but in Note 2 it says that in the long term it may be better to use the invalid serial since someone may purchase and want to activate their serial. (Big Conflict) That makes sense, but I thought that the procedure was to get a Valid serial and activate it - but note two advises against it more or less. I find this a little contradicting/difficult. I could care less about iMessage etc. I am still running Yosemite on my UD5H which has been much less trouble. No iMessage and I guess you don't need the serials (on Yosemite). It works reliably, but is aged. The Question is: do I just use the Invalid serial to avoid hassle later which makes some sense, or use an invalid and not expect to call the support line with issues? I have my new (2018) mac mini which I can use if a problem arises. It appears that the issue is iMessage requires a Unique Serial to know where to send the messages, so you want a serial. Don't use the Valid one because of Later conflict, and the only real problem is Don't Bother the support line with your issues since they may object. Is this the bottom line? I am putting my serial operation on hold while I wait for your input.

I really appreciate and value your input and advice. Thanks,

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had my NUC stop working, but reinstalled Cat and maybe EFI. The Hacs don't seem to like having more than one drive running Clover on the NUCs (I had three installed). The Clover installs seem to write on each other's EFIs (and Win10's efi which I removed). This is probably half of my troubles with the Hacs. I got it working again and am trying to put the serials into it with SMBIOS and got a serial that is Invalid and one that is not activated/Validated. The problem is that the instructions say that you want number three (Validated) but in Note 2 it says that in the long term it may be better to use the invalid serial since someone may purchase and want to activate their serial. (Big Conflict) That makes sense, but I thought that the procedure was to get a Valid serial and activate it - but note two advises against it more or less. I find this a little contradicting/difficult. I could care less about iMessage etc. I am still running Yosemite on my UD5H which has been much less trouble. No iMessage and I guess you don't need the serials (on Yosemite). It works reliably, but is aged. The Question is: do I just use the Invalid serial to avoid hassle later which makes some sense, or use an invalid and not expect to call the support line with issues? I have my new (2018) mac mini which I can use if a problem arises. It appears that the issue is iMessage requires a Unique Serial to know where to send the messages, so you want a serial. Don't use the Valid one because of Later conflict, and the only real problem is Don't Bother the support line with your issues since they may object. Is this the bottom line? I am putting my serial operation on hold while I wait for your input.

I really appreciate and value your input and advice. Thanks,
Sorry, I don't recommend or support Clover anymore. That and your posting is pretty confusing, maybe someone else can help.

Motherboard
?
CPU
?
Graphics
?
Hi ! I planning to buy a nuc8i5beh, and I'm wondering that should I update bios to the newest version BE0087? Will it affects anything during hackintosh installation?