Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690 Rog Strix G Gaming
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks @Leesureone , I have 2 identical Nuc8 both running OC 6.4 and both connected using ethernet wire cable to the same network, one is running the latest version of Catalina, it sends video to my AppleTV, smart TVs, and sound to my soundBar and speakers perfectly well, also on the sound menu on top bar, all my airplays devices (apple TVs, smart TVs, Sound Bars, and speakers), appears well. On the other NUC8 I have Big Sur and I can not send my screen to my apple TV and I can not send sound to all the Airplays devices that my other NUC on the same network sees, I think Big Sur, broke something, I also have a real iMac running the same version of Big Sur and it sees everything well.
Hmmm, I don’t have an Apple TV or an Air Play enabled TV (I don’t think, I have a Samsung TV and it not showing in the Airplay Menu) so I can’t check this out. If Big Sur works via your iMac then it’s not the OS.
Edit: there are reports of Big Sur breaking Airplay but there are also fixes some users have found that restored the connection. Do a quick web search for Air Play and Big Sur.

Attachments

• 26655843-C055-4D1D-BC0B-63142B85EC13.png
    26655843-C055-4D1D-BC0B-63142B85EC13.png
    675 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i5
CPU
i5-8259U
Graphics
Iris 655
Updated to OC 0.65 via "EFI NUC8i7 OC6.5 Big Sur Ready", again works like a charm

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i5BEH-87
CPU
i5-8259U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Did someone has updated his BIOS to 87 using OC6.4\6.5?

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7 8565U
Graphics
Iris Pro 655
@Leesureone thanks for the pointer to page 90 and all of your great work. Am I right in assuming that it would be better for me to back up my data from my old clover based install that won't update to the newer versions of MacOS and then start over with the new OC based build process that you have started? Or is there a path of trying to correct and already existing build? Need to plan out how long I might be down for as this is my main system...

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Leesureone thanks for the pointer to page 90 and all of your great work. Am I right in assuming that it would be better for me to back up my data from my old clover based install that won't update to the newer versions of MacOS and then start over with the new OC based build process that you have started? Or is there a path of trying to correct and already existing build? Need to plan out how long I might be down for as this is my main system...
Even though I don't always follow my own advice its best to have a backup of whatever you can't afford to lose before you do anything like a major update. That and make sure you have a bootable USB Drive you know will work to start your system and allow access to your desktop and files.

If you are using Clover now and want to move to Big Sur then I would create a bootable USB Drive using the latest OpenCore EFI folder on page 90. Its as easy as formatting the USB drive Mac OS with a GUID Boot partition in disk utility, then once done mounting the hidden EFI partition and copying over my EFI folder to it. If it boots and everything works you can then go the next step and copy the same folder over to the EFI partition on your hard drive. That's it, you'd be ready for any OS update you can download from Apple.

Motherboard
NUC8
CPU
i5
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Damn this is brilliant! But still, I'm a noob to Hackintosh so I wonder, what do I have to take in consideration when using the Nuc8 i5?
What files should I use?
I'm sure that this got answered many times already, but with 394 pages I can't seem to find the right post....
Help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: can I run Big Sur?

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Damn this is brilliant! But still, I'm a noob to Hackintosh so I wonder, what do I have to take in consideration when using the Nuc8 i5?
What files should I use?
I'm sure that this got answered many times already, but with 394 pages I can't seem to find the right post....
Help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: can I run Big Sur?
Page 90 I've posted EFI folders that will work for any NUC8 processor, its possible you may have to reconfigure your USB ports but otherwise Big Sur is no problem.