Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

guess you were correct, because I took the SSD off the USB adapter and plugged it in internally in the NUC, and that seemed to work. Thanks for your help again. Is that something that the USB ports on the NUC do occasionally?
I also noticed after the Big Sur install that the EFI partition got replaced with some kind of Apple Update EFI. Is that normal for Apple's Installers. I used a USB thumbdrive installer to install Catalina last time and then built a fresh EFI for it and didn't remember what was there before I loaded my own EFI.
Tough to say why that happened except I would guess it went to sleep at some point and that caused the issue. Can you post a screen shot of your EFI folder tree? That's unusual and possibly caused because something didn't finish but I'm guessing. All I have showing in any of my EFI partitions is the EFI folder and its contents/subflolders and that's true even on my MacBook.

• Can I use your EFI designed for Nuc8i7 on my Nuc8i5? Should I expect differences. You can with no issues, both CPUs have the same graphics processor.. The one issue could be your USB ports configuration maybe different than an i7, all you would have to do is create your own version of the USBPort.kext. This kind of answers both question 1 and 2. Yes you can use another i5 users kext.
  • A few weeks ago, I read the last 50-ish pages of this topic, and I remember reading that I should copy/paste a file from my current setup to the new one in order to have all the usb ports working. Sorry, I lost track of where I saw that precisely. Can you please clarify that part to me?
  • Last, should I use my current UUID and Serial number into the new config.plist? lines 1220 and 1222 If you want to maintain your current information/ system then yes. You would want to copy those entires over using a plist editor. You can also add your MAC address which you can get by opening system preferences/Network/Ethernet/Advanced button. Copy the address into the appropriate spot in the platform info and then remove the colons.
Thanks @Leesureone

Is Usbport.kext identical for every Nuc8i5?
I have 2 of them.
And maybe I can use the one of someone on this forum

Tough to say why that happened except I would guess it went to sleep at some point and that caused the issue. Can you post a screen shot of your EFI folder tree? That's unusual and possibly caused because something didn't finish but I'm guessing. All I have showing in any of my EFI partitions is the EFI folder and its contents/subflolders and that's true even on my MacBook.
The original Catalina disk ended up getting the Apple/Update folder in the EFI as well. I actually cloned the Catalina NVME drive to an SSD, and that's where I installed Big Sur. I typically always perform the update/install on a clone drive so I don't currupt the main drive I use if the install goes bad. The ssd drive that I installed BigSur had no EFI on it. After the install, the Big Sur ssd had an EFI folder with only an Apple/Update folder tree. The main nvme drive I still have Catalina on, still had its original EFI folder, but with the Apple/Update folder added to it.
Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 1.43.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 1.55.35 PM.png

The original Catalina disk ended up getting the Apple/Update folder in the EFI as well. I actually cloned the Catalina NVME drive to an SSD, and that's where I installed Big Sur. I typically always perform the update/install on a clone drive so I don't currupt the main drive I use if the install goes bad. The ssd drive that I installed BigSur had no EFI on it. After the install, the Big Sur ssd had an EFI folder with only an Apple/Update folder tree. The main nvme drive I still have Catalina on, still had its original EFI folder, but with the Apple/Update folder added to it.
View attachment 502292View attachment 502293
Interesting, that’s unusual at least in my experience.

Probably and I think there is a version for the i5 posted but its also easy to create your own using Hackintool. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/
I found another user proposing a full project with OC on Nuc8 and he recommends his EFI for any Nuc8i* no matter what processor you have. chances are the USBports.kext is similar to yours. I will try then. you both mapped the usb C port which I can't map myself as I have no usb C key.

In your EFI, you have both usbinjectall.kext and usbports.kext. I saw here and there that once you have your usbports.kext, keeping both in the EFI could create conflict. Why do you keep them both?

Thanks

I found another user proposing a full project with OC on Nuc8 and he recommends his EFI for any Nuc8i* no matter what processor you have. chances are the USBports.kext is similar to yours. I will try then. you both mapped the usb C port which I can't map myself as I have no usb C key.

In your EFI, you have both usbinjectall.kext and usbports.kext. I saw here and there that once you have your usbports.kext, keeping both in the EFI could create conflict. Why do you keep them both?

Thanks
Only the USBPort.kext is enabled in the config.plist which in OpenCore is needed to load any kext.

Both are enabled if I see it correctly
In the OC6.4 upload on page 90 USBInjectAll.kext is not enabled. See screen shot attached.
As I mentioned some users recently have been able to use my USBPort.kext with an i5 processor but I think that is a function of changes in Big Sur, not the kext itself. You can try and see for yourself if it sleeps and or USB devices function properly.

Attachments

• USB Config.pdf
    127.8 KB · Views: 76
Has anyone updated to big sur 11.1 so far on his Nuc8i7. Have you done any modifications to your efi?

Back