Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Tried the @Leesureone EFI with OC 0.6.4 (NUC8I7), and it booted and ran ok except the wifi of course without the AirportItlwm kext. However, I tried the working AirportItlwm kext (assumed to be v1.0 stable) that I use with the @jvelascov EFI NUC8 OC6.3 (p.370), but it doesn't work with the OC 0.6.4. Can't turn the wifi on with it.

I also noticed that there is now a Graphical boot menu with OC6.4. Is that something new in OC6.4, or is there a plist.conf setting for that? After, the boot menu selection, there are a lot of debug messages on the screen. Is there a plist.conf setting for turning that off?
Hello, no advice for you on the wireless aspect except to read the documentation on the kext found on GitHub. The GUI in the boot menu is an option that is added to OC. There is a driver to add as well as there are files to add in the EFI/ OC/ Resource folder and some minor modifications of the config.plist.
The text you are seeing during boot is the OS loading, you can turn that off by removing the -v boot argument in the config.plist. I highly recommend you visit the Dortania OpenCore Install guide for more details and explanations as to how.

@grantmaier687 what did you have to do, to get the 4K via usb-c-to-displayport cable working ?

I just did the thunderbolt firmware flash and now have a working thunderbolt device, but the attached HP z27n G2 monitor is not recognized at all.

Thanks for the updated EFI with OC 0.6.4 Leesureone! Working well on my NUC8i3BEK. Latest AirportItlwm (1.2.0 Alpha) working once added to config and SecureBoot set to Default. Bluetooth working great and had to mess with my monitor settings but got 4K/60 working over USB-C to DP cable. Only thing I don't seem to have working is sleep (force sleep from apple menu works)... But I assume that is due to the USBPorts kext. I've need to try and build one for the i3 model. Thanks again!

@grantmaier687 what did you have to do, to get the 4K via usb-c-to-displayport cable working ?

I just did the thunderbolt firmware flash and now have a working thunderbolt device, but the attached HP z27n G2 monitor is not recognized at all.
In the bios under the Security tab change the Thunderbolt setting to "Legacy". That should do it.

In the bios under the Security tab change the Thunderbolt setting to "Legacy". That should do it.

I already had changed that setting to legacy before, after flashing the thunderbolt firmware, but the monitor receives no signal.

To get BigSur running on my KabyLake R NUC7i7 it required OpenCore 0.6.3 and the addition AppleAHCIPort.kext since SATA support is broken due to Apple dropping the AppleIntelPchSeriesAHCI class. Disabling SecureBoot worked during install but afterwards I got into a bootloop. I struggled a bit at first but now it is running very stable. My EFI is maintained here: https://github.com/extric99/Hackintosh-NUC7I7DNKE
Thank you!
I used your EFI (0.6.3) for install Big Sur on NUC7i5DNK.
I enable AppleAHCIPort.kext in config and SecureBootModel=Disabled

So I think I misunderstood what you were asking, you are just trying to get a monitor working from the USBc port, right? If that's accurate Thunderbolt really has nothing to do with it, two separate things. A little insight based on the almost 4000 posts in this thread, not all cables or adapters are created or perform equally in OS X or OSXI, same for monitors.
The first thing I would see is if your setup works with another operating system, if it does then fine but then you will have to explore other adapters and or cables. Another suggestion you can get 4K display via HDMI output, I'm doing it, but the suggestion comes with the same caveats. Your monitor and or cables/ adapters may not want to cooperate.

@Leesureone said:
Hello, no advice for you on the wireless aspect except to read the documentation on the kext found on GitHub. The GUI in the boot menu is an option that is added to OC. There is a driver to add as well as there are files to add in the EFI/ OC/ Resource folder and some minor modifications of the config.plist.
The text you are seeing during boot is the OS loading, you can turn that off by removing the -v boot argument in the config.plist. I highly recommend you visit the Dortania OpenCore Install guide for more details and explanations as to how.
Yes, the Dortania OC Install guide is a big help for sure. Lots of people putting a lot of hard work into it, and I thank them all, as well as everyone on this thread.

I found my error with the wifi. I forgot to modify the config.plist to include the AirportItlwm.kext element. All I did was copy the kext file into the kext directory and then forgot to update the config.plist. After I fixed the config.plist, sure enough the wifi is working at least as well as v1.0 stable was before. I can turn on the wifi now, and it can connect to my Linksys router and Netgear router, but not hidden SSIDs. I downloaded the v1.2.0 alpha AirportItlwm.kext. V1.2.0 alpha works better than v1.0.0 stable. At least, it picks up more SSIDs, but still can't connect to hidden SSIDs. Although, so called hidden SSIDs aren't really so hidden anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.

So I think I misunderstood what you were asking, you are just trying to get a monitor working from the USBc port, right? If that's accurate Thunderbolt really has nothing to do with it, two separate things. A little insight based on the almost 4000 posts in this thread, not all cables or adapters are created or perform equally in OS X or OSXI, same for monitors.
The first thing I would see is if your setup works with another operating system, if it does then fine but then you will have to explore other adapters and or cables. Another suggestion you can get 4K display via HDMI output, I'm doing it, but the suggestion comes with the same caveats. Your monitor and or cables/ adapters may not want to cooperate.

Thank you very much, for the clarification. Indeed, I did not read the whole thread from beginning to end :)

Yes, you understood me right. I just want a second monitor. As the NUC8i5BEK2 only provides one HDMI port, I will have to use the USB-C port for the second monitor, and I apparently misunderstood, that I need thunderbolt support for that.

Following your suggestion and since BigSur is my only os on the NUC, i will then try booting from a linux usb and see, if the usb-c-to-displayport cable works at all. The monitor did work properly on an 2011 Apple MacMini before, where it was connected via MiniDisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable, so that should be fine.

If nothing works, I will resort to HDMI.

Cheers

Last edited:
One additional note: Seems like BigSur (11.1) has some USB-c-to-DisplayPort issues also on Apple hardware: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252174979

EDIT: I actually found the essential information in that apple discussions thread. Simply changing the DisplayPort mode in the HP monitor settings made my setup work. I now have the former HDMI monitor and the HP monitor via the USB-c-to-DisplayPort cable working :)

Last edited:
One additional note: Seems like BigSur (11.1) has some USB-c-to-DisplayPort issues also on Apple hardware: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252174979

EDIT: I actually found the essential information in that apple discussions thread. Simply changing the DisplayPort mode in the HP monitor settings made my setup work. I now have the former HDMI monitor and the HP monitor via the USB-c-to-DisplayPort cable working :)
Glad you got it working! As Leesureone said, I did have to change Thunderbolt Security to Legacy for my USB-C to DP cable to work... Not sure why. Also, I did change FreeSync and DP versions on my monitor to achieve 4K60 with 11.0.1. Still need to update to 11.1, hopefully everything still works okay.

Back