Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had a problem updating Catalina today (19H15) NUC8i3BEK (M.2 only version) I use OPC 0.6.2 and before update I also updated appleALC Lilu WhateverGreen and VirtualSMC. It started alright but after a while an error came up: Couldn't attach disc image error -69736. Is it perhaps a SIP error? I run in full 0x0 mode. Never seen that one before. I tried to update via internal system update.

Attachments

• IMG_9993.JPG
    IMG_9993.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690i Gaming Wifi
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had a problem updating Catalina today (19H15) NUC8i3BEK (M.2 only version) I use OPC 0.6.2 and before update I also updated appleALC Lilu WhateverGreen and VirtualSMC. It started alright but after a while an error came up: Couldn't attach disc image error -69736. Is it perhaps a SIP error? I run in full 0x0 mode. Never seen that one before.
It could be the file is corrupt, delete and download again. Copied this from another site:

Could Not Write Installation Information to Disk​

This message usually shows up as a sheet that drops down from the macOS or OS X installer shortly after you start the install process. It may seem odd but the usual cause is a corrupt installer, and simply deleting the installer app and downloading a new copy will likely fix the issue. The error message seems to occur most often when the Mac installer is downloaded from a third-party site. This is a good reason to download the official copy from the Mac App Store, or join the free public beta program if you want to try out a new version of the Mac OS early.

APFSNumFileError640-1.jpg

Other possible causes include a damaged boot drive. Try using Disk Utility’s First Aid capabilities to test and repair your disk, as outlined in First Aid: Verify and Repair HFS+, APFS Drives with Disk Utility.

Motherboard
Dell 7560
CPU
i7 7500u
Graphics
HD 620 & 940MX (1920x1080)
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've got an EFI Folder for OpenCore version 6.3 on page 90
I am pretty sure that SecureBootModel can be turned back to Default for BigSur after 6.3 update.:thumbup:

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It could be the file is corrupt, delete and download again. Copied this from another site:

Could Not Write Installation Information to Disk​

This message usually shows up as a sheet that drops down from the macOS or OS X installer shortly after you start the install process. It may seem odd but the usual cause is a corrupt installer, and simply deleting the installer app and downloading a new copy will likely fix the issue. The error message seems to occur most often when the Mac installer is downloaded from a third-party site. This is a good reason to download the official copy from the Mac App Store, or join the free public beta program if you want to try out a new version of the Mac OS early.

APFSNumFileError640-1.jpg

Other possible causes include a damaged boot drive. Try using Disk Utility’s First Aid capabilities to test and repair your disk, as outlined in First Aid: Verify and Repair HFS+, APFS Drives with Disk Utility.
Thanks a lot for sharing this info Leesureone! Indeed it must have been a corrupt file. Strangely I did download it from the system update. I had to restart from a cloned disk and I saw in Disk Utility that there was an dmgupdate disc there. Unfortunately it could not be removed with any method that I know of and the disc itself refused to be repaired. I had to restart from a Ubuntu usb stick, reformat the whole disc and then clone Mac OS back from there. I hope it does not have anything to do with my Samsung Nvme disk. I updated that one as you mentioned it on page 90. Maybe I shall try the combined update file next time to see what happens. Apart from that this NUC8i3 works very well with OpenCore 0.6.2.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks a lot for sharing this info Leesureone! Indeed it must have been a corrupt file. Strangely I did download it from the system update. I had to restart from a cloned disk and I saw in Disk Utility that there was an dmgupdate disc there. Unfortunately it could not be removed with any method that I know of and the disc itself refused to be repaired. I had to restart from a Ubuntu usb stick, reformat the whole disc and then clone Mac OS back from there. I hope it does not have anything to do with my Samsung Nvme disk. I updated that one as you mentioned it on page 90. Maybe I shall try the combined update file next time to see what happens. Apart from that this NUC8i3 works very well with OpenCore 0.6.2.
So I managed to update to latest Catalina 19H15. After having some disk problems at my first attempt I updated first from OpenCore 0.6.2 to 0.6.3. This time everything went quite smooth and everything works great. One little thing I observed is that "about this Mac" report the cpu as an Intel i7, but it it is an i3. Well..

Attachments

• NUC8i3.png
    NUC8i3.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 27

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690i Gaming Wifi
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am pretty sure that SecureBootModel can be turned back to Default for BigSur after 6.3 update.:thumbup:
I can confirm it boots wit the Default setting, don't know if it will update correctly but I'll leave it as is and see when Release 2 is out

Motherboard
MSI X570 Edge Wifi, ASROCK X570 TAICHI, NUC8i5BEH
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Graphics
rtx 580, rtx 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My NUC8i5BEH is working with Catalina 10.15.7 by using the EFI on page 370 , which I think is OC0.6.3 thanks to jvelascov and Leesureone. By working I mean all the USB ports are working including the USB-C TB3. Audio works on HDMI ok, and on the audio jack.
However, there are 2 issues:
  1. On occasions, it will freeze. It seems related to the USB-C TB3. For example, I have a TerraMaster external RAID device plugged into the TB3 port, even if I eject it first, it seems to freeze the system when I disconnect the cable. The kernel panic log seems to indicate it has something to do with com.apple.driver.watchdog and com.apple.driver.AppleSMC.
  2. The wifi will only connect to my Linksys wifi router. I have several Netgear Orbi routers, and it will not recognize them.
I can live with both these issues, although they're a little annoying. The wifi issue is especially perplexing, though. Anybody have any ideas

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690i Gaming Wifi
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My NUC8i5BEH is working with Catalina 10.15.7 by using the EFI on page 370 , which I think is OC0.6.3 thanks to jvelascov and Leesureone. By working I mean all the USB ports are working including the USB-C TB3. Audio works on HDMI ok, and on the audio jack.
However, there are 2 issues:
  1. On occasions, it will freeze. It seems related to the USB-C TB3. For example, I have a TerraMaster external RAID device plugged into the TB3 port, even if I eject it first, it seems to freeze the system when I disconnect the cable. The kernel panic log seems to indicate it has something to do with com.apple.driver.watchdog and com.apple.driver.AppleSMC.
  2. The wifi will only connect to my Linksys wifi router. I have several Netgear Orbi routers, and it will not recognize them.
I can live with both these issues, although they're a little annoying. The wifi issue is especially perplexing, though. Anybody have any ideas
I haven't really used Thunderbolt with these much so I don't have much to contribute there. Not sure if you were aware the wireless kext is in Alpha stage so not too surprising there are issues. Might read and or post here:

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I can confirm it boots wit the Default setting, don't know if it will update correctly but I'll leave it as is and see when Release 2 is out
Hi, with the release of BigSur yesterday for Thurs have you come up with an upgrade path for users from Catalina:
1. I see that you have prep nuc8i7oc6.3 for BigSur. I am using your oc6.1 for Catalina.
2. If we were to upgrade how should we do it?
3. At what point into the installation process should we switch to the new EFI?
I know it is a big ask but I am very confused since the EFI was originally made for a fresh installation of BigSur.

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690i Gaming Wifi
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, with the release of BigSur yesterday for Thurs have you come up with an upgrade path for users from Catalina:
1. I see that you have prep nuc8i7oc6.3 for BigSur. I am using your oc6.1 for Catalina.
2. If we were to upgrade how should we do it?
3. At what point into the installation process should we switch to the new EFI?
I know it is a big ask but I am very confused since the EFI was originally made for a fresh installation of BigSur.
Easier than you think, update the EFI folder to OC6.3 from page 90 now then boot into Catalina. When Big Sur is available perform the update, back up any important data first as usual, that's it.