Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

EDIT: Disregard. Sleep was not happening due to an active VNC (screen sharing) session. Sleep works fine after killing the remote session. User error :/
The errors in wifi.log were red herrings. I do wonder though if the mac features of delivering notifications during sleep works here or not.

drfrag, winson901 - is sleep working for either of you with Intel WiFi enabled? (through the beta AirportItlwm.kext?)

My screen just goes blank and the NUC doesn't enter sleep mode (front LED doesn't flash blue). I had a poke around the system logs in Console and found this in wifi.log after each sleep attempt.

Curious if you are seeing the same? If so I will file a github issue. Can't see this documented anywhere on the repo as a known issue.

Code:
Thu Sep 24 09:43:59.615 <airportd[195]> psCallback: set powersave(7) failed, 5 (Input/output error)
Thu Sep 24 09:44:11.740 <airportd[195]> psCallback: set powersave(7) failed, 5 (Input/output error)
Thu Sep 24 09:44:11.765 <airportd[195]> ERROR: rapportd (348) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.join_history, will not allow request
Thu Sep 24 09:44:11.766 <airportd[195]> ERROR: sharingd (421) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.join_history, will not allow request
Yes I can confirm that, I also noticed the same sleeping problem. It sleeps for a while at first then wakes up and keeps at same stage. (front power LED steady flash but orange HD LED do not flash) If you touch the device, you can feel it a little bit warm, so it is not in sleep.

Edit: After uncheck "Screen Sharing" as you have mentioned, it sleeps very well. ;)

Last edited:
Let me know how it goes with your USB-C when you get your NUC8. I'm very interested in the steps you take to get it working. I didn't try substituting your NUC8OC6.0 EFI folder, because then I won't learn what was causing my problems and how to fix them. I think it has something to do with my SSDT-EC-USBX-LAPTOP.aml, but I don't know what.
So I got my NUC8i7 yesterday and configured it using OC6.0, will update to 6.1 later. I have the USBC ports working properly and sleep works as well, I didn't add the Beta Wireless kexts discussed on this page because sleep is more important to me that connectivity or working wireless at the moment.

I attached my updated EFI folder only so you can compare the contents of it to yours, if you look at them side by side you should begin to get some answers as to what works and what doesn't. Compare the two config.plists side by side as well, it’s possibly the most important aspect of any OC configuration.

I have renamed some of the SSDT files for ease of configuration in the config.plist so keep that in mind. If you think I'm missing or have an extra file you don't have in ACPI/Add that could be the real reason. What I found is that without adding the SSDT for USBC the Thunderbolt/ USBC ports do not show up at. Not in Hackintool or IORegistryExplorer.App, they aren't enabled without it.

A little history on that SSDT Rehabman, who started this excellent thread, created it back when we used DDST and SSDTs to configure some of the hackintosh functions kexts or drivers didn't address. Things have changed since then but that file remains necessary to enable the USBC ports. I believe there are other similar SSDTs that have been in development that allow hot plugging of Thunderbolt devices but I have not tried them on the NUC8s. I think they may work in the same way and may enable the USBC ports as well. The NUC10i7 configuration utilizes one is why I mention it and USBC works.

Once I added the SSDT-USBC.aml file to EFI/OC/ACPI folder (see my EFI attached) and enabled loading it via the config.plist it changed everything. Following the guide for USB Configuration I sent you earlier I then added USBInjectAll.kext, enabled it, and set the Kernel Quirk for "XhciPortLimit" as "/true" the USBC ports showed after rebooting. From there I used Hackintool to decide which ports to enable and created the USBPorts.kext, also attached in my EFI folder. Once that was created and added to the kexts folder/ enabled in the config.plist I then turned off USBInjectAll.kext leaving XhciPortLimit" as "/true. You can also leave USBInjectAll.kext enabled and turn off XhciPortLimit, its basically the same thing IMO.

Hope that helps explain a little more

Thunderbolt/USBC ports showing in Hackintool

TBTU.png

My Final USB port Selection before Creation OF the USBPorts.kext

USB Ports.png

Attachments

• NUC8OC6.0EFI.zip
    12 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
This is latest beta Intel Wi-Fi kext, with some very good improvements.
  1. Supports all itlwm-supported devices.
  2. Supports native Wi-Fi selection and switching with WPA/WPA2/Unencrypted Wi-Fi Networks.
  3. Supports Location Services.
  4. Handoff and Universal Clipboard perfectly supported.(WOW):clap:
Bootloader Compatibility
Note:
OpenCore requires 0.6.1 or higher. Please read OpenCore's Official Document for more details.

Set SecureBootModel to Default to make sure IO80211Family loads properly.

Workaround for Users with Prelinked Kernel without ImmutableKernel

• Force IO80211Family to load. 「Supports OpenCore and Clover(not tested)」 (Read the Kernel - Force section in OpenCore's manual for more info) - THIS WORKED FOR ME ON NUC8i7BEH
  • Load AirportItlwm from Terminal (Continuity features may not work)
  • Extract IO80211Family from the system, insert AirportItlwm as a Plugin, and load the bundle with a bootloader.
  • Or disable SIP and install AirportItlwm into /Library/Extensions (Take your own risk)

I am attaching the kext and config.plist with necessary changes on Kernel - Add and Kernel - Force
Sorry I'm newbie here. How can I follow up your suggestion? Can you share the step or share the link to do so? Thanks before

@Leesureone I have another question. My Bluetooth showed up. But it keep looking the device, I can't turn it off, I can't find the device around. Do you have any idea how to fix it? My NUC8i7BEH using your latest EFI.
Did you set the device up you want to use to “pair”? I am guessing you are using @Drfrag EFI folder which I haven't familiarized myself with. Wondering if he is having bluetooth issues as well?

Last edited:
I also have a bluetooth issue.
I want to pair my Logitech MX Keys, it finds the keyboard, when I connect it asks me to put the password and press enter,
I did that but it won't connect.
On my Macbook Air it connects just fine.. hm.

I also have a bluetooth issue.
I want to pair my Logitech MX Keys, it finds the keyboard, when I connect it asks me to put the password and press enter,
I did that but it won't connect.
On my Macbook Air it connects just fine.. hm.
What type NUC do you have and what boot loader are you using?

Nuc8i5beh.
And I have the OC 0.6 EFI from you, running the latest stable Catalina update

Nuc8i5beh.
And I have the OC 0.6 EFI from you, running the latest stable Catalina update
Okay, maybe try unpairing it from your MacBook Air and trying again? Otherwise I don't have any suggestions, it works fine for me. There is a GitHub page where you can report or investigate issues with the kext.

Back