Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690 Rog Strix G Gaming
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have not updated the Clover version for months so thats probably the issue. And I'm sorry to say its not something I plan on doing anytime soon either
Have you determined or noticed which version of the BIOS is reliable?
[/QUOTE]
This is not a bios related issue, at this point in time any version should work. Just make sure you have the settings correct.

Boot->Boot Configuration, disable "Network Boot"
- Power->Secondary Power Settings, "Wake on LAN from S4/S5", set to "Stay Off"

These settings are important but are already set as needed by "Load Defaults"
- Devices->Video, "IGD Minimum Memory" set to 64mb or 128mb
- Devices->Video, "IGD Aperture Size" set to 256mb
- Boot->Secure Boot, "Secure Boot" is disabled

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390UD
CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630 + RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
If you are looking for a dual HDMI and fully supported NUC you might wanna look into the NUC7I7DNKE and other variants of this series. This NUC allows to replace the wireless card with a supported model which means that you can have continuity, airdrop, handoff, Apple Watch unlock approve etc working. Mine is rock solid on OpenCore 5.9 and functionality identical to a real Mac mini. The only downside it that there no analog audio or microphone. You need to use bluetooth (AirPods work great for me) or a monitor with an analog output which is quite common now.

You can find all details in my signature
Thanks for the recommendation.
Been considering this NUC7DNKE actually at first, since as you said it is very flexible specifically on the WF/BT card with dual HDMI which is perfect for my use case. Unfortunately, this unit is no longer available in my country, so it left me out with NUC8BEH only. Also considering NUC8BEK though, with its sleek shorter case, but it is still newly launched and not yet available as well in my country so I stick with NUC8BEH.

Thunderbolt works great and is supported out of the box and you need it to power the second display, I have the HDMI/ Thunderbolt adapter you describe and it works great in tandem with the native HDMI. In the bios you can pick which port is primary. I guess I should mention that not all monitors play well and some users have complained about not getting 4K resolution although most sorted that out. Cable quality can also make a difference and in some cases the HDMI firmware needed updating to resolve issues.
The USB-C fix is to enable the USB-C port to function as designed.
Thanks for the full usage details. For now, I will use both port for 1080p display, one driving an AVR as HTPC with separated OS in a flashdisk, and the other directly to secondary monitor when I use it in macOS.

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have not updated the Clover version for months so thats probably the issue. And I'm sorry to say its not something I plan on doing anytime soon either
[/QUOTE]
You said that you have not updated the Clover Version for months and that is probably the problem. I used your EFI and it installed and worked good until I tried to do the USB port limit kext. That and the update seem to rain on my parade and caused the NUC to become seemingly impossible to get working reliably. I had upgraded it multiple times but after shutting down and then rebooting later, it would not reboot. I rebuilt it multiple times and then finally no success in reinstalling OS. Maybe I am getting too frustrated and not taking enough time to get each step? I forgot to mention that this last couple installs, the F10 boot config saw my thumb drive, but when it was saved and continued to boot, it said Boot drive not found or something like that which made me think the BIOS was acting up by not recognizing the bootloader. I was thinking that if the Clover works for current and past BIOS and they make some changes to it then that could cause a problem. I guess I'll bench the project and look at it later and maybe I can see the problem then. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate your efforts.

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You said that you have not updated the Clover Version for months and that is probably the problem. I used your EFI and it installed and worked good until I tried to do the USB port limit kext. That and the update seem to rain on my parade and caused the NUC to become seemingly impossible to get working reliably. I had upgraded it multiple times but after shutting down and then rebooting later, it would not reboot. I rebuilt it multiple times and then finally no success in reinstalling OS. Maybe I am getting too frustrated and not taking enough time to get each step? I forgot to mention that this last couple installs, the F10 boot config saw my thumb drive, but when it was saved and continued to boot, it said Boot drive not found or something like that which made me think the BIOS was acting up by not recognizing the bootloader. I was thinking that if the Clover works for current and past BIOS and they make some changes to it then that could cause a problem. I guess I'll bench the project and look at it later and maybe I can see the problem then. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate your efforts.
[/QUOTE]
Its usually OSx updates that bork a working configuration. At some point I might go back and work on the clover versions but no promises. I suggest trying opencore, its widely described as the go to boot loader for now and future developements

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok so now I have a random system crashing. :O
Try this EFI Folder, USB is not properly;ry configured but you should be bale to save this, then create a USBPort.kext with Hackintool following the guide New Beginners Guide here.
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• NUC8CloverEFI.zip
    26.8 MB · Views: 90
Motherboard
NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Anyone tried 10.15.6 update yet?

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
One question. Is the EFI also works for NUC8i3BEH? I do see that the i3, i5 and i7 version use the same board, thus I assume they can be used in all processor type?
Yes, I used to have one and its virtually the same as the i5.