Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690i Gaming Wifi
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
TLDR; I fixed it.
The reason why I am unplugging it constantly is to show you the inconsistency of the connection. The plugin you gave did not work, uninstalling it gave me a nightmare (broke the OS) and had to restore using TimeMachine (all hail TM). Then I tried what you said change to layout 28.
Now, I have consistent aux audio and line in. However I changed it through NVRAM instead of devices, should I made the change to devices in config instead?
Told you it was old (2016) and welcome to the Hackintosh experience......you had a very unusual situation and sometimes you have to break it before you find the fix. Just part of the deal...BTW you said you had already tried changing the device ID so that was a bit inaccurate.

The developers say it's better to change the ID permanently in DeviceProperties/ Add in the config.plist but whatever works. Here's an example of how it looks in Xcode, values are wrong for an NUC but the line items are the same.

Its easier to change the layout-id line to "Number" instead of "Data" (info need to convert to hex then) and enter whatever ID worked for you which was 28.

Audio.png

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Told you it was old (2016) and welcome to the Hackintosh experience......you had a very unusual situation and sometimes you have to break it before you find the fix. Just part of the deal...BTW you said you had already tried changing the device ID so that was a bit inaccurate.

The developers say it's better to change the ID permanently in DeviceProperties/ Add in the config.plist but whatever works. Here's an example of how it looks in Xcode, values are wrong for an NUC but the line items are the same.

Its easier to change the layout-id line to "Number" instead of "Data" (info need to convert to hex then) and enter whatever ID worked for you which was 28.

View attachment 474644
I changed the config file again, OC said to used data so I used 1C000000 layout-id and everything works fine now, this whole audio issue is very important to me cause I Facetimed 24/7. Yea I changed so many IDs before but never touched 28. Such a fantastic feeling. Once again, thank you so much for your help, suggestions and dedication.

Motherboard
intel nuc
CPU
i5
Graphics
intel iris
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Maybe try turning off Thunderbolt in the bios to see if forcing to to run USBc helps? Either that or try changing it to Thunderbolt "Legacy" mode in the security tab?
The other thing you can try is changing the layout ID in the config.plist under the NVRAM/ ADD section where the boot arguments reside to 28.

-v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1. Change 1 to 28

Thanks for that . I also tried a usb audio DAC I had lying around and using the Hdmi output , both of which made the audio stable

Motherboard
Intel NUC7i7BNH
CPU
i7-7567U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus 650
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all, I'm having a strange issue with getting audio via HDMI, and I'm hoping someone can help.

TL;DR HDMI audio used to work, after Migration Assistant, it stopped working.

I have an Intel NUC7i7BNH (Core i7-7567U, 32GB RAM, 256GB M.2 SATA SSD) that I setup using RehabMan's guide. I didn't dig deep in this post initially, so I had no idea that wasn't the right way anymore. I'll post separately about my issues trying to use Leesureone's EFIs.

I started with a basic install of High Sierra, then directly updated to Catalina. The only issues I had were graphics glitches (fixed by setting ProductName to iMac16,2) and BT/WiFi not working (unresolved). Ethernet, HDMI audio, App Store, iCloud, Time Machine, all the stuff I cared about worked.

Since I was happy with everything on this great little system, I went ahead and used Migration Assistant to transfer all my users/apps/files from my OS X 10.10 Yosemite system. Most of the data copied successfully, whatever didn't I did manually via rsync on the command line. After a reboot, I noticed HDMI audio no longer works. "System Information > Hardware > Audio" shows no devices. No Input or Output devices under "System Preferences > Sound".

I updated to the latest Clover (r5107), that didn't help. I made sure all kexts were up to date, that didn't help. I tried wiping out my EFI partition and starting over, that didn't help. I tried looking up info on troubleshooting AppleALC issues, but it's way over my head. In hindsight, maybe I should have just used rsync rather than Migration Assistant. Or maybe it is just a coincidence and something else I did messed up HDMI audio.

Can anyone offer some guidance? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for the response! Welp. If I get some free time I’ll try to port it and post the results.
Would also be interested to understand if the NUC7i7DNKE works well with OC before i would start a project and buy one. Did you swap the wifi adaptor?

Motherboard
Intel NUC7i3BNH
CPU
i3-7100U
Graphics
HD 620
Running the NUC7i3BNH and trying to get BT working. Can someone point me towards the post for enabling the internal USB headers? I'm trying to search for it and just can't find it.

Motherboard
GA-Z390-Aorus Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 590
Hello all, I'm having a strange issue with getting audio via HDMI, and I'm hoping someone can help.

I have an Intel NUC7i7BNH (Core i7-7567U, 32GB RAM, 256GB M.2 SATA SSD) that I setup using RehabMan's guide. I didn't dig deep in this post initially, so I had no idea that wasn't the right way anymore. I'll post separately about my issues trying to use Leesureone's EFIs.

I started with a basic install of High Sierra, then directly updated to Catalina. The only issues I had were graphics glitches (fixed by setting ProductName to iMac16,2) and BT/WiFi not working (unresolved). Ethernet, HDMI audio, App Store, iCloud, Time Machine, all the stuff I cared about worked.

Since I was happy with everything on this great little system, I went ahead and used Migration Assistant to transfer all my users/apps/files from my OS X 10.10 Yosemite system. Most of the data copied successfully, whatever didn't I did manually via rsync on the command line. After a reboot, I noticed HDMI audio no longer works. "System Information > Hardware > Audio" shows no devices. No Input or Output devices under "System Preferences > Sound".

I updated to the latest Clover (r5071), that didn't help. I made sure all kexts were up to date, that didn't help. I tried wiping out my EFI partition and starting over, that didn't help. I tried looking up info on troubleshooting AppleALC issues, but it's way over my head. In hindsight, maybe I should have just used rsync rather than Migration Assistant. Or maybe it is just a coincidence and something else I did messed up HDMI audio.

I have found that, counter to what apple says, migration assistant messes with kexts in /Library/Extensions.

before you used migration assistant, where did you have AppleALC installed? go to that location now and see if it is still there, and if it is, check to see that it is the latest version.

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690i Gaming Wifi
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

I updated to the latest Clover (r5107), that didn't help. I made sure all kexts were up to date, that didn't help. I tried wiping out my EFI partition and starting over, that didn't help. I tried looking up info on troubleshooting AppleALC issues, but it's way over my head. In hindsight, maybe I should have just used rsync rather than Migration Assistant. Or maybe it is just a coincidence and something else I did messed up HDMI audio.

Almost impossible to say what happened, I have some good guesses but without more information that's all I can offer. You can check and see if you have duplicate kexts in Library\ Extensions and Clover\ Kexts\other. For Catalina all your kexts should be in the later location.

If you want post your EFI folder and a snap shot of Finder showing the contents of Library\ Extensions I'll take a look. You can also always start over or one other option, I have an OpenCore EFI folder for the NUC7 model you have post on page 90 of this thread that works but its a big change of you are used to Clover. I think my Clover NUC7 EFI folder posted there is outdated but it might work too.

Motherboard
Intel NUC7i7BNH
CPU
i7-7567U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus 650
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
If you want post your EFI folder and a snap shot of Finder showing the contents of Library\ Extensions I'll take a look.

I took a look in /Library/Extensions/ and see several of the same kexts as in my Clover directory. I've attached screenshots. In /Library/Extensions/ I see AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, XHCI-unsupported, USBInjectAll, SATA-unsupported, IntelMausiEthernet. FakeSMC. I guess these conflict with what is in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/?

Thanks faithie999 and Leesureone for the quick response!

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 2.05.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 2.06.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 2.16.28 AM.png

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690i Gaming Wifi
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I took a look in /Library/Extensions/ and see several of the same kexts as in my Clover directory. I've attached screenshots. In /Library/Extensions/ I see AppleALC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, XHCI-unsupported, USBInjectAll, SATA-unsupported, IntelMausiEthernet. FakeSMC. I guess these conflict with what is in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/?

Thanks faithie999 and Leesureone for the quick response!

View attachment 475217

View attachment 475218

View attachment 475219
Right, you are double loading kexts and you also are loading HDAEnabler1.kext from L/E. Thats an old school fix for sound that is also going to mess with your sound setup. Delete it and the the other kexts you identified and then rebuild the kextcache using this command in terminal:

sudo kextcache -i /

These are the kexts I was loading using Clover, about the same as you and this is th information I have in the config.plist for audio

kexts.png

Configplist audio.png