Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Do you guys know, if the EFI with OC 5.7 for Catalina will work with Mojave? or is it worth, dumping SSDT's without the FakeEC option on SSDTTime? this is for NUC8i7BEH.

Also, is there an advantage (other than improving headphone sound) if you install kexts to /Library/Extensions on OC and delete all kexts except FakeSMC? Obviously, will need to snap OC Snapshot after deleting kexts.

Thanks

Do you guys know, if the EFI with OC 5.7 for Catalina will work with Mojave? or is it worth, dumping SSDT's without the FakeEC option on SSDTTime? this is for NUC8i7BEH.

Also, is there an advantage (other than improving headphone sound) if you install kexts to /Library/Extensions on OC and delete all kexts except FakeSMC? Obviously, will need to snap OC Snapshot after deleting kexts.

Thanks
The SSDTs are the same for OpenCore as they are for Clover. Same for Catalina vs Mojave you just don't need them all I don't think but it won't hurt anything (At least I'm pretty sure it won't).

In OpenCore you can't install kexts to L/E, kexts are loaded by the boot loader not the OS. Hope that makes sense.

Catching up for the first time since December-January and saw 64 GBs is being reported as working now (I had bought in October but returned because I couldn't get it to work). This is super exciting! I saw some posts related to this (#2256, #2257, #2258) but was wondering if there are any other requirements to leverage 64 GBs beyond changing config.plist with Clover Configurator. Is there a minimum BIOS? I am on 56 I believe. I'm seeing 77 is okay now.

HI, I have 64GB on my NUC8i7, and BIOS ver 077 works well and I also just updated to 078 without issues.

Problem in short: High packet loss and slow ping response on Intel NUC8i7BEH with both built-in Ethernet and Bluetooth on Catalina using Opencore 0.5.7

Has anyone here experienced networking issues with the built-in Ethernet or Bluetooth on a NUC8i7BEH on Catalina?

I have done a fresh install of Catalina following the OpenCore guide and using the most recent NUC8 EFI OC5.7 from Leesureone. Updated the serial as needed, first tried with an otherwise unchanged config.plist, and again with a slightly modified one (following the OpenCore guide/sanity check web tool) as attached to this post.

Either way, I am seeing a lot of packet loss and extremely slow ping response times both with the built-in ethernet, or alternatively when setting up a Bluetooth network to my MacBook, which makes me think this might be caused by the same problem.

My NUC8i7BEH is on the latest BIOS (0078), I have double checked all BIOS settings as recommended in the thread here and particularly also disabled "PCIe ASPM Support" in the BIOS, but to no avail.

Alas, networking via LAN or Bluetooth is completely unusable like this. I am waiting for some USB WiFi dongle to arrive but was hoping to get networking to run with what's available in the NUC in the meantime.

Any advice what I should check or could try to fix this?

Update: I now tried the exact same EFI with Mojave, and everything is working fine, so this only applies to Catalina.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Guys, I ran into what seems a very weird problem, perhaps the weirdest problem ever I had on my Hackintosh.

So I recently bought a great 4K display, connected it with a Type C — DisplayPort dongle. Aaaaaand... ran into some applications having problems rendering fonts. I use Memsource for work, generally works good, but when working on some documents, fonts are rendered VERY SLOWLY with a considerable stutter as I am typing.

Interestingly, when connecting my iPad 2018 with a normal USB-Lighting cable and using it as a second display via Sidecar, the same app renders fonts in any document without any freezes or stuttering regardless of how fast I am typing.

Is a 4k display too much to handle in scaled mode for Intel UHD 655 that my NUC uses?

Guys, I ran into what seems a very weird problem, perhaps the weirdest problem ever I had on my Hackintosh.

So I recently bought a great 4K display, connected it with a Type C — DisplayPort dongle. Aaaaaand... ran into some applications having problems rendering fonts. I use Memsource for work, generally works good, but when working on some documents, fonts are rendered VERY SLOWLY with a considerable stutter as I am typing.

Interestingly, when connecting my iPad 2018 with a normal USB-Lighting cable and using it as a second display via Sidecar, the same app renders fonts in any document without any freezes or stuttering regardless of how fast I am typing.

Is a 4k display too much to handle in scaled mode for Intel UHD 655 that my NUC uses?
Ok, apparently Apple's implementation of scaling is the worst implementation EVAH. I did a bit of googling and found out that whenever you're using some kind of non-native resolution (and using native resolution on a 27" 4k is a pain in the arse... eyes), MacOS's visual server forces the GPU to render everything at 4x the resolution you requested, then to scale it down to a half in each dimension. Thus, to have a resolution that the Display settings pane says "looks like 2560x1440", your computer will render it at 5120x2880, i.e. as 5k, then halve it and send to the display. That's just shitloads of graphics processing for something as basic as font anti-aliasing.

NOT GREAT *Trumpface

UPD: chose "looks like 1920x1080, which should effectively use a 4k rendering resolution. NOPE. One, exactly ONE app keeps having problems with font rendering. HJÁLPIÐ MÉR!

NOT GREAT *Trumpface [2]

Last edited:
Hi,

Just a post to thank a lot Following guys:
@mhiernaux to mention the post #894 which saved my hack of the NUC NUC8I3BEH2
@Leesureone who does a great job to provide and keep updated the EFI folder for NUC8.

So far, the NUC works perfectly Under Mac OS X Catalina (including BT and internal mic) except WiFi as expected (I'm waiting for an Apple Wifi+BT card).

@mhiernaux : I read you have issues about freezes after you suspent the NUC if I understand correctly. I did some test with mine: I suspent it manually and I let it doing it. After that, I can go on... No need to perform a reboot.
My setup is very basic: 1 SSD 2.5, 4Gb of RAM (waiting for the second stick of 4Gb), that's all.

Speaking of internal BT and stuff, which of the antennas (one has a white cable and one has a black one) amplifies the BT signal? I have a fully working Apple WBT module, connected both antennas to it, WiFi works just fine, BT however seems to lack signal strength, only detecting my iPhone when brought very close to the NUC. Apple Watch unlock doesn't even appear in system preferences, but that's fine, I disabled password anyway. Thinking of using Intel's BT instead but not sure which antenna to connect back to the original (soldered) WiFi/BT card.

Back