Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

@Leesureone Can you tell me if Sinetek-rtsx.kext is working on your OC EFI? Tried that on Clover, but had no success with SD Card Reader.

@Leesureone Can you tell me if Sinetek-rtsx.kext is working on your OC EFI? Tried that on Clover, but had no success with SD Card Reader.
I've never tried to read or write to a card so I don't know, I've got a couple in phones but taking them apart just to test it has never been important enough to me. Other users have stated it will work but that was back in Mojave. I think its tied to USB functionality so it might be that port isn't being identified correctly if it isn't working.

Sleep/ wake failure is usually a function of incorrect USB port limit configuration or a USB device plugged in that is keeping your computer from sleeping similar to your Egpu. There have been quite a few i7beh users reporting the same behavior that solved it by creating their own specific UAIC-SSDT.aml.

I appreciate the fast reply. I was able to get sleep working by doing the following:

- Removing eGPU
- Removing AppleALC.kext from EFI/Clover

Now the problem is getting it to work with the eGPU connected.

The eGPU was giving me the following abnormal behavior: I would put the computer to sleep, the eGPU would turn off, and then 5 seconds later the eGPU would turn back on. In my experience, the eGPU usally sleeps with the machine, so this was odd to me. I was able to fix this problem by removing a displayport to HDMI cord that I was using in favor of a standard HDMI cable.

Now, the computer sleeps, the eGPU sleeps, but everything crashes on wake. I just wanted to check in with the new details to see if it given the new information it still makes sense to look into the USB port configuration thread. I'm a little worried that the Appendix 2 in the thread you linked said that it is not a permanent solution :think:.

Again,

thank you for taking your time to read, look into this, and provide your expertise :)

EDIT 1:

I switched the bootloader from Clover to OpenCore for the heck of it to see if it changed anything. I tried to sleep without the eGPU, and the computer kernel panicked. I removed the AppleALC.kext from the EFI OC folder, and removed the entry from the config.plist. Now the computer does not kernal panic on wake from sleep, but the behavior is different from what I usally see when the computer is sleeping. The monitors turn off, and caps lock turns off on the keyboard. The power button does not blink. If I connect my eGPU, then the same thing happens, but the eGPU fans continue to spin and the LED on the eGPU continues to stay lit. The lights on the NIC also are active. The HDD activity LED does not look to be active.

Last edited:
I've never tried to read or write to a card so I don't know, I've got a couple in phones but taking them apart just to test it has never been important enough to me. Other users have stated it will work but that was back in Mojave. I think its tied to USB functionality so it might be that port isn't being identified correctly if it isn't working.
Ok. I will finally try OC approach and report back. It is not so important, but would be nice to have it working. Thank you.

I haven't had any success with the sinetek kext for the last several macOS major versions.

I appreciate the fast reply. I was able to get sleep working by doing the following:

- Removing eGPU
- Removing AppleALC.kext from EFI/Clover

Now the problem is getting it to work with the eGPU connected.

The eGPU was giving me the following abnormal behavior: I would put the computer to sleep, the eGPU would turn off, and then 5 seconds later the eGPU would turn back on. In my experience, the eGPU usally sleeps with the machine, so this was odd to me. I was able to fix this problem by removing a displayport to HDMI cord that I was using in favor of a standard HDMI cable.

Now, the computer sleeps, the eGPU sleeps, but everything crashes on wake. I just wanted to check in with the new details to see if it given the new information it still makes sense to look into the USB port configuration thread. I'm a little worried that the Appendix 2 in the thread you linked said that it is not a permanent solution :think:.

Again,

thank you for taking your time to read, look into this, and provide your expertise :)

EDIT 1:

I switched the bootloader from Clover to OpenCore for the heck of it to see if it changed anything. I tried to sleep without the eGPU, and the computer kernel panicked. I removed the AppleALC.kext from the EFI OC folder, and removed the entry from the config.plist. Now the computer does not kernal panic on wake from sleep, but the behavior is different from what I usally see when the computer is sleeping. The monitors turn off, and caps lock turns off on the keyboard. The power button does not blink. If I connect my eGPU, then the same thing happens, but the eGPU fans continue to spin and the LED on the eGPU continues to stay lit. The lights on the NIC also are active. The HDD activity LED does not look to be active.
Just a quick comment, I have zero experience with EGPUs so unless I can find another thread to point you to I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help. Odd how the sound kext is hijacking sleep, something else must be going on.

Question.
So you are connecting it via Thunderbolt and in the bios under the Thunderbolt configuration section have it set to "Legacy" mode?

Also as far as appendix 2 goes in the USB configuration guide read on, it's a temporary setting although some users choose to leave it setup that way knowing with updates they may be in search of new port limit patches. It's a little easier but less permanent.

Ok. I will finally try OC approach and report back. It is not so important, but would be nice to have it working. Thank you.

OK I'm back using using my NUC8i5BEH for Hackintosh again and just successfully updated to 10.15.4 latested release. I used Leesureone's EFI from page 90 but updated to Clover 5107 and also updated to the latest Lilu, WEG, AppleALC.

There are a few issues however:

1. Facetime & iMessage dont work.
2. Sound out of the front headphone jack is very low & distorted when set to max.
3. Onboard Wi-Fi & Bluetooth dont work obviously.

I agree about 1. Facetime & iMessage don't work.
I made a clean install on my Nuc and I cannot active Facetime & iMessage.
for example here is the error on Facetime:
ft.png

I've checked with Apple and I'm not blacklisted.
I changed the serial number with GenSMBIOS (including board serial and SMUUID)
Tried even several serials but no luck
Time is on Auto in the settings

Don't know what else to try
I'm guessing that if you'll try to sign out and then sign in you'll face the same problem.

Thanks

I agree about 1. Facetime & iMessage don't work.
I made a clean install on my Nuc and I cannot active Facetime & iMessage.
for example here is the error on Facetime:
View attachment 459032
I've checked with Apple and I'm not blacklisted.
I changed the serial number with GenSMBIOS (including board serial and SMUUID)
Tried even several serials but no luck
Time is on Auto in the settings

Don't know what else to try
I'm guessing that if you'll try to sign out and then sign in you'll face the same problem.

Thanks
I don't really use either being I have android phones but I can report both are working on my NUC8i5 with OC 5.6

I don't really use either being I have android phones but I can report both are working on my NUC8i5 with OC 5.6

Maybe I'll try to switch to OC 5.6
Because on clover it does not work and I tried all the guides - Fixing iServices - Opencore Vanilla Desktop Guide
Also An iDiot's Guide To iMessage etc.
and nothing works
If OC doesn't work - maybe it worth trying another clean install with a new apple id?

Thank you

Back