Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Hey, I was wondering if these same steps apply to a Catalina install?? Going to build my first hackintosh soon with the bean canyon i5 BEK1 and I want the most recent version of Mac OS. Would it create less problems or more to just install Mojave then upgrade once everything is up and running?
No Sir, the guide is outdated. See here #894
And Possibly here. #2,298

To start, choose "Load Defaults" (choose from the menu or press F9 in the BIOS setup).

In order to boot the Clover from the USB, you should visit your BIOS settings:
- « Inter VT for directed I/VO (VT-d) » should be disabled
- « Secure Boot » should be disabled
- « Legacy Boot » should be enabled
- « Fast Boot » should be disabled
- Boot->Boot Devices-> « USB » should be enabled
- SATA mode should be AHCI

- Boot->Boot Configuration-> « Boot Network Devices Last » should be disabled
- Power->Secondary Power Settings, « Wake on LAN from S4/S5 », set to « Stay Off »

These settings are important but are already set as needed by « Load Defaults »
- Devices->Video, « IGD Minimum Memory » set to 64mb
- Devices->Video, « IGD Aperture Size » set to 256mb

Finally got 64GB ram (Corsair Vengeance CMSX32GX4M1A2400C16) to work in my NUC8i7BEH.

After lots of trial an error with Mojave, I ended upgrading to Catalina and was able to boot with a 32GB stick and a modified config list (only had the first line in the picture). I added the second stick and the second line after.

So I think the conclusion from what I experienced was that Mojave didn't want to recognize the 32GB sticks, no matter what I did. Also after installing the second ram stick I didn't boot if I had Duel Channel selected in the drop down.

So far the performance seems good and I can easily load 48gb of data in the ram.

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 18.57.16.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 18.59.29.png

No Sir, the guide is outdated. See here #894
And Possibly here. #2,298

To start, choose "Load Defaults" (choose from the menu or press F9 in the BIOS setup).

In order to boot the Clover from the USB, you should visit your BIOS settings:
- « Inter VT for directed I/VO (VT-d) » should be disabled
- « Secure Boot » should be disabled
- « Legacy Boot » should be enabled
- « Fast Boot » should be disabled
- Boot->Boot Devices-> « USB » should be enabled
- SATA mode should be AHCI

- Boot->Boot Configuration-> « Boot Network Devices Last » should be disabled
- Power->Secondary Power Settings, « Wake on LAN from S4/S5 », set to « Stay Off »

These settings are important but are already set as needed by « Load Defaults »
- Devices->Video, « IGD Minimum Memory » set to 64mb
- Devices->Video, « IGD Aperture Size » set to 256mb
So to install Catalina instead of Mojave, essentially I just follow the original post, but adjust it to fit the other post you linked me?

That worked like a charm, thanks! One thing I can notice on Catalina though, is that the overall experience is not as smooth as it used to be on Mojave. I'm talking about the smoothness of the UI. It feels like its "playing" at 20-25 FPS. Do you have any clue on what might be the issue? I'm using the EFI you linked, with updated kexts (except AppleALC) and I replaced FakeSMC with VirtualSMC (i only used virtualsmc.kext and none of the accompanying kexts)

For those of you interested in a different path here is a working version of Open Core for and NUC8. Tested on Mojave on an i3 and i5, should work on an i7 as well. Change the serial numbers.
Hi I Have Nuc8i7beh and i'm using your open core At boot i have a black screen can you help Everything works great It would be nice if you could make a complete identical with bios iMac Pro thank.

For those of you interested in a different path here is a working version of Open Core for and NUC8. Tested on Mojave on an i3 and i5, should work on an i7 as well. Change the serial numbers.

Hi I Have Nuc8i7beh and i'm using your open core At boot i have a black screen can you help Everything works great It would be nice if you could make a complete identical with bios iMac Pro thank. Ps. When I change the bios to iMac Pro my bluetooth does not work Also Black Screen Please Help Thank you

So to install Catalina instead of Mojave, essentially I just follow the original post, but adjust it to fit the other post you linked me?
You can follow the original guide to create the install media but that's it. You can also use Unibeast instead which is a little easier. Then just substitute my EFI folder for the one on the USB drive, if it fails to load see the second link to downlaod the SSDT to add to the ACPI/patched folder. After install do the same thing on the hard drive.

Hi I Have Nuc8i7beh and i'm using your open core At boot i have a black screen can you help Everything works great It would be nice if you could make a complete identical with bios iMac Pro thank.
Best to look for answers in the OpenCore forums elsewhere.

Hi I Have Nuc8i7beh and i'm using your open core At boot i have a black screen can you help Everything works great It would be nice if you could make a complete identical with bios iMac Pro thank. Ps. When I change the bios to iMac Pro my bluetooth does not work Also Black Screen Please Help Thank you

I don't think iMacPro is a compatible SYMBIOS for this hardware, the onboard bluetooth doesn't really work regardless of symbios or boot loader.

That worked like a charm, thanks! One thing I can notice on Catalina though, is that the overall experience is not as smooth as it used to be on Mojave. I'm talking about the smoothness of the UI. It feels like its "playing" at 20-25 FPS. Do you have any clue on what might be the issue? I'm using the EFI you linked, with updated kexts (except AppleALC) and I replaced FakeSMC with VirtualSMC (i only used virtualsmc.kext and none of the accompanying kexts)

That's unusual and I don't recall others that have had that issue. Do you have kexts loading in L/E as well as EFI/Clover/Kext/Other?

How is your network speed, sometimes those settings need tweaking. Changing this setting in the bios has helped others who had slow connection speeds.

Disable "PCIe ASPM Support" in BIOS "Secondary Power Settings"

Back