Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Version 77. I saw your other post and the answer made me realize how the changes to Clover may have effected you. I haven’t updated so haven't had any issues (ignorance is bliss :eek:) . You know you can always use an older version, it's not really a downgrade, just something else to try.

I upgraded my BIOS to 077 - thanks. It didn't fix my NVRAM issue, but at least I know it is safe at this version.

I asked for help in the clover section, and I was told to install a newer non efi version of clover, but it did not prompt me to do a custom install.

Basically, I'm stuck at a point where I don't think RC scripts were installed and I can't seem to get clover to offer me the chance to do a custom install.

I noticed you had responded to a few people a while back about iCloud etc suddenly stopping. Do you remember if you saw a fix?

I upgraded my BIOS to 077 - thanks. It didn't fix my NVRAM issue, but at least I know it is safe at this version.

I asked for help in the clover section, and I was told to install a newer non efi version of clover, but it did not prompt me to do a custom install.

Basically, I'm stuck at a point where I don't think RC scripts were installed and I can't seem to get clover to offer me the chance to do a custom install.

I noticed you had responded to a few people a while back about iCloud etc suddenly stopping. Do you remember if you saw a fix?
I don't recall, do you know the post number or page? It's very odd that you can't select customize in clover. Again I don't think NVRAM is the issue, it's something else but no idea what. Have you considered starting over and reinstalling?

I just tried iMessage with the EFI folder I posted right before your post and it works. You will have to be familiar with edited the config.plist without the help of clover configurator, if you think you can do that and change the serial numbers you could give it a try.

Legacy boot should not be needed. Sounds like something is wrong with the usb drive. Maybe try a different drive and start over. Make sure you set it up for UEFI booting.
Well I tried with the new 128gb drive after partitioning it to 16gb and... success! Amazing. Thank you so much Leesureone. I would have been scratching my head for weeks otherwise. I used your EFI file and installation went smoothly. Now I just need to do a bit of setting up and tinkering (one immediate issue is front audio) but I’ll have another read of the thread and I’ve bookmarked a few pages as I think everything I need to troubleshoot has already been discussed. For now though I’m really pleased that it’s working at all!

Hmm.. I just removed the drive and used an old USB sata drive and still have the same issue.
I also updated the memory section of the SMBIOS to look like this:

Edit: I also just realized that my device is apparently a BOXNUC8i5BEK2, not BOXNUC8i5BEK1 (I'm in the US). Could that have any unexpected effects on anything?
Question, did you ever try an older version of clover? You don't need the latest and greatest for this configuration. Also I'm not sure how familiar you are with installing Clover. Are you saying the "Customize" Box on the bottom left corner is missing on the third screen?

Clover Install Window.png

Hmm.. I just removed the drive and used an old USB sata drive and still have the same issue.
I also updated the memory section of the SMBIOS to look like this:

Edit: I also just realized that my device is apparently a BOXNUC8i5BEK2, not BOXNUC8i5BEK1 (I'm in the US). Could that have any unexpected effects on anything?

I got it working! Dumb mistake on my end--I had the RAM frequency set to match the i5: 2400MHz, but once I changed to match the RAM 2666MHz, it worked. I only installed with one 32GB stick, then after installation I updated the config.plist to add another stick in the other slot. Then I powered off, put the extra stick in the other slot, and rebooted. Voila! 64 GB.

Thanks @Leesureone and @vicantu!

Attachments

• nucintosh-64gb.png
    nucintosh-64gb.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 64
I got it working! Dumb mistake on my end--I had the RAM frequency set to match the i5: 2400MHz, but once I changed to match the RAM 2666MHz, it worked. I only installed with one 32GB stick, then after installation I updated the config.plist to add another stick in the other slot. Then I powered off, put the extra stick in the other slot, and rebooted. Voila! 64 GB.

That's great news! Glad you got it to work.

Glad it’s working for you. But how can your RAM be running at 2666mhz? These 8th gen nuc’s are limited to 2400.

Glad it’s working for you. But how can your RAM be running at 2666mhz? These 8th gen nuc’s are limited to 2400.
You can typically run faster RAM than the motherboard supports. It throttles down and will run at the speed of the bus.

You can typically run faster RAM than the motherboard supports. It throttles down and will run at the speed of the bus.
Yes, but how can that 64gb be running at 2666mhz? Or is it not and that system info shown in the image above is spoofed?
randomrossity seems to infer that the ram was set to (run at) 2666mhz.

I’m probably missing something here as I tested my own i5 nuc with 2666mhz ram and it throttled it to 2400.

Back