Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Either should work. Maybe get one if each. I've got some Sandisks that work great. Had some Kensington USB 2 that didn't
Excellent, thanks. There are some 128GB USB3 SanDisks on there for exactly the same price that I paid for my 16GB USB2 Toshiba about 3 years ago(!) I’ll get one and see if that works.

Excellent, thanks. There are some 128GB USB3 SanDisks on there for exactly the same price that I paid for my 16GB USB2 Toshiba about 3 years ago(!) I’ll get one and see if that works.
They should work but you will need to partition it to a 16gb size for the installation media. You can leave the balance for whatever, extra files.

Here are the relevant bios settings and link to download updates (which probably isn't needed). You are getting a memory error, if reviewing and changing bios settings doesn't help then I only have a couple of suggestions. You can try substituting the older AptioMemoryFix.efi driver for OsxAptioFixDrv.efi (delete OsxAptioFixDrv and empty the trash) and see if that helps. If not then I think its possible your memory is the culprit, you can check if its compatible on intel's website. FYI Only one user I am aware of has been able to make 64GB work and that took modifying clover settings. 32GB is listed as the max the CPU supports so it should boot with one stick. Maybe try moving the one stick to the other bank. If you have another stick that is smaller that would be the last thing to try.

Follow this link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28394/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=126147, download BE0056.bio and copy it on a USB stick.

To update BIOS, press F7 after booting when « NUC » appears on the screen.

Once updated, the boot menu and BIOS setup can be accessed by mashing the F2 key during BIOS startup.

To start, choose "Load Defaults" (choose from the menu or press F9 in the BIOS setup).

In order to boot the Clover from the USB, you should visit your BIOS settings:
- « Inter VT for directed I/VO (VT-d) » should be disabled
- « Secure Boot » should be disabled
- « Legacy Boot » should be enabled
- « Fast Boot » should be disabled
- Boot->Boot Devices-> « USB » should be enabled
- SATA mode should be AHCI

- Boot->Boot Configuration-> « Boot Network Devices Last » should be disabled
- Power->Secondary Power Settings, « Wake on LAN from S4/S5 », set to « Stay Off »

These settings are important but are already set as needed by « Load Defaults »
- Devices->Video, « IGD Minimum Memory » set to 64mb
- Devices->Video, « IGD Aperture Size » set to 256mb

Thanks for the quick reply, but still no luck on my end. I was unable to downgrade the BIOS to any version. My BIOS settings match and Clover boots, but the macOS installer still fails. The switch to AptioMemoryFix.efi made the logging disappear, but now there's just a single row of
Code:
++++++++++++++++++++++[CODE]. I also tried OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi and OsxLowMemFixDrv.efi from Clover Configuration, but those didn't work either. 

I'm suspecting the RAM. I'm going to do more investigating to see if there are any other success stories with 64GB on macOS, or if those are Windows and Linux only. If not, I'll drop to 32GB with 2x16GB sticks if I find a pair that's known to work.

Thanks for the quick reply, but still no luck on my end. I was unable to downgrade the BIOS to any version. My BIOS settings match and Clover boots, but the macOS installer still fails. The switch to AptioMemoryFix.efi made the logging disappear, but now there's just a single row of ++++++++++++++++++++++. I also tried OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi and OsxLowMemFixDrv.efi from Clover Configuration, but those didn't work either.

I'm suspecting the RAM. I'm going to do more investigating to see if there are any other success stories with 64GB on macOS, or if those are Windows and Linux only. If not, I'll drop to 32GB with 2x16GB sticks if I find a pair that's known to work.
There is a post in this thread where he said he got 64 GB to work. It sounded like he edited his config.plist to specify the banks, size and speed. You can use clover Configurator to make the edits. But I also think the one stick should work...maybe not.

Hi!

I have a NUC8i7BEH, 64 GB RAM, Catalina 10.15.2, bios 077, using Leesureone latest EFI folder (I just modified the config.plist to support the 64GB RAM).

Everything works great, I think this has been asked before: when I connect in pre boot a Thunderbolt 3 Sabrent Dock or an external Nvme 2TB drive enclosure they works great, but if I unplug the TB3 device or if my NUC goes to sleep, my computer immediately restart itself, (the TB3 in bios is in legacy).

Any suggestions? this is driving me crazy

thanks!!

Thanks for pointing me to this @Leesureone! I missed this post.

@vicantu, do you mind sharing what RAM you used and your config.plist changes? If you have the original file still, that's even better! I have a fairly similar setup, but with the NUC8i5BEK instead. I was trying the Samsung 64GB RAM (2x32GB 2666 Samsung DDR4 RAM) that I saw mentioned on another forum, have had little luck.

I'm going to play around with the mappings, and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, but still no luck on my end. I was unable to downgrade the BIOS to any version. My BIOS settings match and Clover boots, but the macOS installer still fails. The switch to AptioMemoryFix.efi made the logging disappear, but now there's just a single row of
Code:
++++++++++++++++++++++
. I also tried OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi and OsxLowMemFixDrv.efi from Clover Configuration, but those didn't work either.

Two other thoughts, it’s not the BIOS version. I see you updated the firmware on your EVO Plus drive, I use one in my main machine with OSX, but a non updated drive can cause a very similar looking issue.

Two other thoughts, it’s not the bios version. I see you updated the firmware on your Evo plus drive, I use one in my main machine with OSX, but a non updated drive can cause a very similar looking issue.

Hmm.. I just removed the drive and used an old USB sata drive and still have the same issue.
I also updated the memory section of the SMBIOS to look like this:

Edit: I also just realized that my device is apparently a BOXNUC8i5BEK2, not BOXNUC8i5BEK1 (I'm in the US). Could that have any unexpected effects on anything?

Attachments

• nuc8i5bek-clover-ram.png
    nuc8i5bek-clover-ram.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
They should work but you will need to partition it to a 16gb size for the installation media. You can leave the balance for whatever, extra files.
Ok great, thanks for the tip.

Hmm.. I just removed the drive and used an old USB sata drive and still have the same issue.
I also updated the memory section of the SMBIOS to look like this:

Edit: I also just realized that my device is apparently a BOXNUC8i5BEK2, not BOXNUC8i5BEK1 (I'm in the US). Could that have any unexpected effects on anything?
There are probably subtle differences but no, that shouldn't matter. Looks like its the memory.

For those of you interested in a different path here is a working version of Open Core for and NUC8. Tested on Mojave on an i3 and i5, should work on an i7 as well. Change the serial numbers.

Attachments

• NUC8 OC EFI.zip
    13.7 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Back