Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690 Rog Strix G Gaming
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'll try it.

One thing that I didn't notice at first. But the bluetooth is functionnal ?? I thought wifi-bluetooth via Intel chipset didn't work. I have a usb bluetooth dongle that I use on my hackintosh. I unplugged it and forgot to plug it and then realized that without the dongle my NUC8I7BEH hackintosh on Catalina had the bluetooth active and functionnal.
Did I missed something ?
It can work but drops out, very unreliable if it works at all.

Motherboard
NUC8i7BEH
CPU
Intel i7 8559U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus 655
I can't tell you how to check if it's related to the USB port limit patch without having your setup. IORegistryExplorer program you can download will show you the USB device tree but it won't tell you if the ports are set up correctly. The only way to really know is to do the work, you will learn something even if it doesn't work but sleep wake is almost always related to USB configuration issues. Google the Apple USB Port Limit for more information.

There are a bunch of guides available on this site for how to create a custom USB.SSDT. You can also find them on YouTube, Insanely Mac, etc, etc, etc. Just google it and then you are pretty much on your own, it's not that hard, and most of them walk you through it to some degree or another.

My take on kexts is that they are basically a driver that fools OSX to let PC Hardware act like a mac. Whatevergreen takes on the Video, AppleALC the sound etc. An SSDT is more like a specific coded hardware hack developed for different computers that need more persuasion than a kext can provide. Its also one of the most common ways to define and set the USB Port Limit patch needed for us to be able to have USB work correctly within the bounds of OSX.

The SSDT you create will replace the SSDT-NUC8-BC.aml loaded into Clover/ACPI/patched. Hopefully it will allow the internal USB headers to work and also allow the NUC to sleep and wake with bluetooth still functioning.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=How+to+Create+USB+SSDT&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

View attachment 436568
So I took the time to make a custom USB SSDT for the NUC8. I was preparing myself for a long evening but wow was that an easy job! The reading took longer then executing. I did it a second time and it took me literly 5minutes... And best of all it seems to work work very well:
- first of all, all usb ports still seem to function with a USB2 and USB3 drive (for test I copied a 2gb file from an external drive to the hack and it took 10seconds, so full speed)
- the hack goes to sleep perfectly fine
- when I woke it up (I let it sleep for about 10mins) all my BT devices connected fine
- after reboot BT devices working fine

what still doesn't work:
- I still have audio stuttering with my Bose BT headset sometimes (but I believe this is more linked to the headset, because in all honestely I had issues before on windows
- Tapp my keyboard/mouse/trackpad to wake it up from sleep (so same behaviour as with dongle), that's a bummer. But I'll investigate! :)

Attached:
- The sleepwake file, but I don't understand any of it.
- I've also attached the SSDT (both the dsl and aml, both can be opened with Maciasl). I guess it should work for everybody with a NUC8i7BEH(2)? Basically it limits your USB ports to 9 (so well below the 15 port limit)
HS01 - usb2 front right
HS02 - usb2 front left
HS03 - usb2 bottom rear
HS04 - usb2 bottom top
HS05 - usb2 internal1 (BT), internal2 not mapped
SS01 - usb3 front right
SS02 - usb3 front left usb3
SS03 - usb3 bottom rear
SS04 - usb3 bottom top

I have not yet enabled again the sdcard reader kext, which most likely is another port I need to map.

Let's see how the hack handles a full night of sleep!

Attachments

• MacBook-pro-sleepwake.txt
    492 KB · Views: 94
  • SSDT-UIAC-ALL.aml
    465 bytes · Views: 88
  • SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl
    2.8 KB · Views: 68

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I took the time to make a custom USB SSDT for the NUC8. I was preparing myself for a long evening but wow was that an easy job! The reading took longer then executing. I did it a second time and it took me literly 5minutes... And best of all it seems to work work very well:
- first of all, all usb ports still seem to function with a USB2 and USB3 drive (for test I copied a 2gb file from an external drive to the hack and it took 10seconds, so full speed)
- the hack goes to sleep perfectly fine
- when I woke it up (I let it sleep for about 10mins) all my BT devices connected fine
- after reboot BT devices working fine

what still doesn't work:
- I still have audio stuttering with my Bose BT headset sometimes (but I believe this is more linked to the headset, because in all honestely I had issues before on windows
- Tapp my keyboard/mouse/trackpad to wake it up from sleep (so same behaviour as with dongle), that's a bummer. But I'll investigate! :)

Attached:
- The sleepwake file, but I don't understand any of it.
- I've also attached the SSDT (both the dsl and aml, both can be opened with Maciasl). I guess it should work for everybody with a NUC8i7BEH(2)? Basically it limits your USB ports to 9 (so well below the 15 port limit)
HS01 - usb2 front right
HS02 - usb2 front left
HS03 - usb2 bottom rear
HS04 - usb2 bottom top
HS05 - usb2 internal1 (BT), internal2 not mapped
SS01 - usb3 front right
SS02 - usb3 front left usb3
SS03 - usb3 bottom rear
SS04 - usb3 bottom top

I have not yet enabled again the sdcard reader kext, which most likely is another port I need to map.

Let's see how the hack handles a full night of sleep!
Keep us posted!

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
It is compatible with Catalina acording to this. https://apogeedigital.com/home-feat...eature-news/macos-catalina-compatibility-info

Did you download the latest drivers and software for Catalina? Also download the lastest bios might help and update kexts at least the usb kext.

Hey, thanks for your suggestions!

I updated to Bios 75, the kexts where already up to date.
I don't want to update to Catalina yet, since it might give me some trouble with some of the audio software I use.

Not sure if it was the Bios update, but the interface does now work right after booting (without the need of a login/logout).
I still can't Hot-plug it though. Whenever I do that it goes back to the endless loop of turning off and on until I log out/login again or restart.

It is definitely a step into the right direction though! :)
Thank you!

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, I tried following this guide and install macOS Mojave on my newly bought…

NUC7i5BNK
Core i5-7260U 2,2GHz Dual
Crucial CT8G4SFD824A 8GB
Dogfish SSD Sata M.2 2242 60GB

…with the intention of making this my new media center and thus replacing my ageing 2009 Mac mini.

My first problem already occurred during the initial macOS installation with a Clover install medium created by following the laptop guide as recommended: After rebooting from the first “Install macOS Mojave” screen, at an early point the installation progress bar would just not move any further.

Lacking the knowledge to debug this, I tried another installation from scratch, this time with a basic setup of tonymacx86’s UniBeast and MultiBeast with Clover UEFI Boot Mode, IntelMausiEthernet v2.40 and iMac 14,2 system definitions. That finally worked and I could boot into macOS Mojave.

After the initial MultiBeast setup (and reboot), I kept following this guide again, i.e. the “Post Installation” starting with the terminal commands to setup Xcode developer tools. As far as I can tell that all worked fine as well, at least I didn’t spot any obvious error messages in the terminal outputs.

So, at this point everything seems to work: I have a properly v-synced HDMI output on my Panasonic PV60 plasma, sleep and wakeup works (so far), all USB ports work, Bluetooth works (not natively, but via Asus USB adapter), network works.

The one thing that DOESN’T WORK is AUDIO: I don’t have any devices listed at all in the output tab of the sound preferences—no analog, no HDMI.

Browsing through the beginning pages of this thread I saw RehabMan mentioning “FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext should be already installed,... but it is disabled via FAKH=0”. Unfortunately that’s where I’m already totally lost. I can’t find any “FAKH” in my config.plist and I have no clue where else to look for that text flag.

Can someone please help me get digital 5.1 sound output via the NUC7i5BNK’s DisplayPort to HDMI in macOS Mojave?

I attached all the error reporting info according to the FAQ and the best of my knowledge.

Attachments

• debug_17237.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
Motherboard
NUC 7i7DNHE
CPU
i7
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
So, I tried following this guide and install macOS Mojave on my newly bought…

NUC7i5BNK
Core i5-7260U 2,2GHz Dual
Crucial CT8G4SFD824A 8GB
Dogfish SSD Sata M.2 2242 60GB

…with the intention of making this my new media center and thus replacing my ageing 2009 Mac mini.

My first problem already occurred during the initial macOS installation with a Clover install medium created by following the laptop guide as recommended: After rebooting from the first “Install macOS Mojave” screen, at an early point the installation progress bar would just not move any further.

Lacking the knowledge to debug this, I tried another installation from scratch, this time with a basic setup of tonymacx86’s UniBeast and MultiBeast with Clover UEFI Boot Mode, IntelMausiEthernet v2.40 and iMac 14,2 system definitions. That finally worked and I could boot into macOS Mojave.

After the initial MultiBeast setup (and reboot), I kept following this guide again, i.e. the “Post Installation” starting with the terminal commands to setup Xcode developer tools. As far as I can tell that all worked fine as well, at least I didn’t spot any obvious error messages in the terminal outputs.

So, at this point everything seems to work: I have a properly v-synced HDMI output on my Panasonic PV60 plasma, sleep and wakeup works (so far), all USB ports work, Bluetooth works (not natively, but via Asus USB adapter), network works.

The one thing that DOESN’T WORK is AUDIO: I don’t have any devices listed at all in the output tab of the sound preferences—no analog, no HDMI.

Browsing through the beginning pages of this thread I saw RehabMan mentioning “FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext should be already installed,... but it is disabled via FAKH=0”. Unfortunately that’s where I’m already totally lost. I can’t find any “FAKH” in my config.plist and I have no clue where else to look for that text flag.

Can someone please help me get digital 5.1 sound output via the NUC7i5BNK’s DisplayPort to HDMI in macOS Mojave?

I attached all the error reporting info according to the FAQ and the best of my knowledge.

@Yorxor what I can tell you from my experience is this...
I have a NUC 7i7DNHE. I tried to install Catalina from the new install procedure described in this tread. I had limited success. I decided to go back to Mojave. After installing it, again, based on the information here (see thread #1582), some things didn't work correctly, namely the wifi/BT card I installed after market, and accelerated graphics.

I was guided to try Rehabman's original scripts in the first post. Well, that worked. Including updating all kexts to their respective latest versions.

I don't know if this will work 100% for the 'BNK version of the NUC, but thought I would share.

P.S.

Sleep is spotty for me. Seems the longer it sleeps, the less stable it becomes. So I just don't let it sleep anymore. So far, rock solid with all the bells and whistles.

P.P.S.
I should point out that I actually don't know if audio of HDMI works because I use a bluetooth speaker.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was guided to try Rehabman's original scripts in the first post. Well, that worked. Including updating all kexts to their respective latest versions.

I don't know if this will work 100% for the 'BNK version of the NUC, but thought I would share.

Well, as I wrote, I already followed all the RehabMan's terminal commands and bash scripts from the post installation part of his guide. Everything seems to work, but my audio—which is rather unfortunate for a media center.

P.P.S.
I should point out that I actually don't know if audio of HDMI works because I use a bluetooth speaker.

I guess you can't help me there then.

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well, as I wrote, I already followed all the RehabMan's terminal commands and bash scripts from the post installation part of his guide. Everything seems to work, but my audio—which is rather unfortunate for a media center.

I guess you can't help me there then.
Try using this config.plist, it uses different PCI IDs for audio and will change your symbols to Mac mini, it will ma=es sup iCloud if you don't sign out first. Back up your data, makes sure your USB boot drive is still working and then apply (you can remake your existing one and leave it in the EFI folder in case this goes wrong)

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.8 KB · Views: 68
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Try using this config.plist, it uses different PCI IDs for audio and will change your symbols to Mac mini, it will ma=es sup iCloud if you don't sign out first. Back up your data, makes sure your USB boot drive is still working and then apply (you can remake your existing one and leave it in the EFI folder in case this goes wrong)

I tried your config.plist just now. Unfortunately still no sound—not a single audio output device listed. :(

Thanks anyway, was worth a try.