Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

So, I tried following this guide and install macOS Mojave on my newly bought…

NUC7i5BNK
Core i5-7260U 2,2GHz Dual
Crucial CT8G4SFD824A 8GB
Dogfish SSD Sata M.2 2242 60GB

…with the intention of making this my new media center and thus replacing my ageing 2009 Mac mini.

My first problem already occurred during the initial macOS installation with a Clover install medium created by following the laptop guide as recommended: After rebooting from the first “Install macOS Mojave” screen, at an early point the installation progress bar would just not move any further.

Lacking the knowledge to debug this, I tried another installation from scratch, this time with a basic setup of tonymacx86’s UniBeast and MultiBeast with Clover UEFI Boot Mode, IntelMausiEthernet v2.40 and iMac 14,2 system definitions. That finally worked and I could boot into macOS Mojave.

After the initial MultiBeast setup (and reboot), I kept following this guide again, i.e. the “Post Installation” starting with the terminal commands to setup Xcode developer tools. As far as I can tell that all worked fine as well, at least I didn’t spot any obvious error messages in the terminal outputs.

So, at this point everything seems to work: I have a properly v-synced HDMI output on my Panasonic PV60 plasma, sleep and wakeup works (so far), all USB ports work, Bluetooth works (not natively, but via Asus USB adapter), network works.

The one thing that DOESN’T WORK is AUDIO: I don’t have any devices listed at all in the output tab of the sound preferences—no analog, no HDMI.

Browsing through the beginning pages of this thread I saw RehabMan mentioning “FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext should be already installed,... but it is disabled via FAKH=0”. Unfortunately that’s where I’m already totally lost. I can’t find any “FAKH” in my config.plist and I have no clue where else to look for that text flag.

Can someone please help me get digital 5.1 sound output via the NUC7i5BNK’s DisplayPort to HDMI in macOS Mojave?

I attached all the error reporting info according to the FAQ and the best of my knowledge.

Attachments

• debug_17237.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
So, I tried following this guide and install macOS Mojave on my newly bought…

NUC7i5BNK
Core i5-7260U 2,2GHz Dual
Crucial CT8G4SFD824A 8GB
Dogfish SSD Sata M.2 2242 60GB

…with the intention of making this my new media center and thus replacing my ageing 2009 Mac mini.

My first problem already occurred during the initial macOS installation with a Clover install medium created by following the laptop guide as recommended: After rebooting from the first “Install macOS Mojave” screen, at an early point the installation progress bar would just not move any further.

Lacking the knowledge to debug this, I tried another installation from scratch, this time with a basic setup of tonymacx86’s UniBeast and MultiBeast with Clover UEFI Boot Mode, IntelMausiEthernet v2.40 and iMac 14,2 system definitions. That finally worked and I could boot into macOS Mojave.

After the initial MultiBeast setup (and reboot), I kept following this guide again, i.e. the “Post Installation” starting with the terminal commands to setup Xcode developer tools. As far as I can tell that all worked fine as well, at least I didn’t spot any obvious error messages in the terminal outputs.

So, at this point everything seems to work: I have a properly v-synced HDMI output on my Panasonic PV60 plasma, sleep and wakeup works (so far), all USB ports work, Bluetooth works (not natively, but via Asus USB adapter), network works.

The one thing that DOESN’T WORK is AUDIO: I don’t have any devices listed at all in the output tab of the sound preferences—no analog, no HDMI.

Browsing through the beginning pages of this thread I saw RehabMan mentioning “FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext should be already installed,... but it is disabled via FAKH=0”. Unfortunately that’s where I’m already totally lost. I can’t find any “FAKH” in my config.plist and I have no clue where else to look for that text flag.

Can someone please help me get digital 5.1 sound output via the NUC7i5BNK’s DisplayPort to HDMI in macOS Mojave?

I attached all the error reporting info according to the FAQ and the best of my knowledge.

@Yorxor what I can tell you from my experience is this...
I have a NUC 7i7DNHE. I tried to install Catalina from the new install procedure described in this tread. I had limited success. I decided to go back to Mojave. After installing it, again, based on the information here (see thread #1582), some things didn't work correctly, namely the wifi/BT card I installed after market, and accelerated graphics.

I was guided to try Rehabman's original scripts in the first post. Well, that worked. Including updating all kexts to their respective latest versions.

I don't know if this will work 100% for the 'BNK version of the NUC, but thought I would share.

P.S.

Sleep is spotty for me. Seems the longer it sleeps, the less stable it becomes. So I just don't let it sleep anymore. So far, rock solid with all the bells and whistles.

P.P.S.
I should point out that I actually don't know if audio of HDMI works because I use a bluetooth speaker.

I was guided to try Rehabman's original scripts in the first post. Well, that worked. Including updating all kexts to their respective latest versions.

I don't know if this will work 100% for the 'BNK version of the NUC, but thought I would share.

Well, as I wrote, I already followed all the RehabMan's terminal commands and bash scripts from the post installation part of his guide. Everything seems to work, but my audio—which is rather unfortunate for a media center.

P.P.S.
I should point out that I actually don't know if audio of HDMI works because I use a bluetooth speaker.

I guess you can't help me there then.

Well, as I wrote, I already followed all the RehabMan's terminal commands and bash scripts from the post installation part of his guide. Everything seems to work, but my audio—which is rather unfortunate for a media center.

I guess you can't help me there then.
Try using this config.plist, it uses different PCI IDs for audio and will change your symbols to Mac mini, it will ma=es sup iCloud if you don't sign out first. Back up your data, makes sure your USB boot drive is still working and then apply (you can remake your existing one and leave it in the EFI folder in case this goes wrong)

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.8 KB · Views: 82
Try using this config.plist, it uses different PCI IDs for audio and will change your symbols to Mac mini, it will ma=es sup iCloud if you don't sign out first. Back up your data, makes sure your USB boot drive is still working and then apply (you can remake your existing one and leave it in the EFI folder in case this goes wrong)

I tried your config.plist just now. Unfortunately still no sound—not a single audio output device listed. :(

Thanks anyway, was worth a try.

I tried your config.plist just now. Unfortunately still no sound—not a single audio output device listed. :(

I need to look harder at your debug later when I’m back home

Okay, I found that the Rehabman script double loaded kexts on your machine which happened the first time around to me as well. Duplicate Kexts have been installed both in Library\Extensions as well as EFI\Clover\Kexts\Other and that could be the issue. You will have to decide first where you'd like the permanent home for your kexts to live, my suggestion is in the EFI folder because it is easier to maintain and update but arguments have been made for either location.

If you decide to remove them from L\E you will need to provide permissions to delete each one, entering your password after each move to the trash, and then once finally done you will need to rebuild the kextcache by running this command in terminal. "sudo kextcache -I /"

You can reference the kexts that are installed in Clover/ Kexts/ Other to know which to delete and which to leave. You can also decide to just delete the kexts in Clover\Kexts\Other, move them to the trash and then empty it, which is quite a bit easier and no need to rebuild the kextcache but the choice is yours.

Once done reboot, cross your fingers and check output devices in system preferences again.

Okay, I found that the Rehabman script double loaded kexts on your machine which happened the first time around to me as well. Duplicate Kexts have been installed both in Library\Extensions as well as EFI\Clover\Kexts\Other and that could be the issue. You will have to decide first where you'd like the permanent home for your kexts to live, my suggestion is in the EFI folder because it is easier to maintain and update but arguments have been made for either location.

If you decide to remove them from L\E you will need to provide permissions to delete each one, entering your password after each move to the trash, and then once finally done you will need to rebuild the kextcache by running this command in terminal. "sudo kextcache -I /"

You can reference the kexts that are installed in Clover/ Kexts/ Other to know which to delete and which to leave. You can also decide to just delete the kexts in Clover\Kexts\Other, move them to the trash and then empty it, which is quite a bit easier and no need to rebuild the kextcache but the choice is yours.

Once done reboot, cross your fingers and check output devices in system preferences again.

Thanks for looking further into it.

Well, I mounted my EFI, moved all the Kexts from "EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other" to a backup folder on my desktop, rebooted and… … … still no change, still nothing in my sound output devices. *sigh*

In other news, I ordered a "Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3" USB sound card, which arrived yesterday and that thing does it's job pretty well. With it attached, I actually have digital 5.1. output on the NUC. I certainly would like to get the sound working natively without any extra hardware and save the money, but if all else fails, I can live with having the Creative card attached permanently.

Thanks for looking further into it.

Well, I mounted my EFI, moved all the Kexts from "EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other" to a backup folder on my desktop, rebooted and… … … still no change, still nothing in my sound output devices. *sigh*

In other news, I ordered a "Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3" USB sound card, which arrived yesterday and that thing does it's job pretty well. With it attached, I actually have digital 5.1. output on the NUC. I certainly would like to get the sound working natively without any extra hardware and save the money, but if all else fails, I can live with having the Creative card attached permanently.

You can try this #1,594

Back