Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Leesureone

Motherboard
Asus Z690 Rog Strix G Gaming
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I called victory to soon.. this morning I came to know my pc restarted due to sleep issues and after the restart I have similar symptoms as before:

Any suggestions?
It’s either a hardware issue or a USB port limit patch issue that is not taking the headers into account correctly. If it’s the later use Hackintosh to create a custom USB kext that sets up the port limit patch to match the ports you want. Either that or follow one of the guides out there to create your own ssdt.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I tried to use Leesureone EFI, it works great with Catalina (had nothing to do). But when I try to use it with Mojave I had many troubles.
First of all I had to use the -no_compat_check to boot the installer. And when I'm in the graphic installer, my AFPS partition is greyed and I have the message "This version macos 10.14 could not be installed on your computer".
The certificate of my Installer were outdated so I had to change the date in the bios of my NUC is it related ? I doubt.
Anyone had the same issues ?

Motherboard
NUC8i7BEH
CPU
Intel i7 8559U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus 655
It’s either a hardware issue or a USB port limit patch issue that is not taking the headers into account correctly. If it’s the later use Hackintosh to create a custom USB kext that sets up the port limit patch to match the ports you want. Either that or follow one of the guides out there to create your own ssdt.
would you be able to guide me to the right direction how I could check if it's related to "usb port limit patch" and how I can create a custom usb kext?
I'm still not quite sure what the difference is between a kext and a ssdt also..

Motherboard
NUC8i7BEH
CPU
Intel i7 8559U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus 655
Good to read of your progress. So a lot is working now but sleep is important and a real pain when it doesn't work as the only option is to shutdown or waste power both not good options.

Get rid of any usb stuff plugged in as it might be that but I'm guessing you tried that first.

Below is a copy of links and commands I got from the links to diagnose the sleep problem I and it worked and I worked out the problem for my NUC. You run the command in terminal and it tells you when it tries to sleep and then wakes right away so to you it seems it never sleeps but it does log the event.

It might help you and it might not if it is related to the BT dongle etc as that is hardware and might require config.plist changes etc which is beyond me sorry.

Below are MY notes so some might not be valid. The links are the main part. Also make sure your kexts are updated to the latest which I think you did recently using clover if I remember correctly.

Wake Reason from Sleep command Terminal

log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

Kextupdater fixes sleep problem. Open then Tools and fix sleep pproblem.

Sleep and Wake history:

log show --style syslog | fgrep "[powerd:sleepWake]"

To save sleep and wake history to file:

log show --style syslog | fgrep "[powerd:sleepWake]" > MacBook-pro-sleepwake.txt

https://sysadminblogger.wordpress.com/tag/rtc-maintenance/
I ran above command an attached the result, doesn't mean much to me. Maybe you or Leesureone?

Attachments

• MacBook-pro-sleepwake.txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 133

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I tried to use Leesureone EFI, it works great with Catalina (had nothing to do). But when I try to use it with Mojave I had many troubles.
First of all I had to use the -no_compat_check to boot the installer. And when I'm in the graphic installer, my AFPS partition is greyed and I have the message "This version macos 10.14 could not be installed on your computer".
The certificate of my Installer were outdated so I had to change the date in the bios of my NUC is it related ? I doubt.
Anyone had the same issues ?
You need to redownload Mojave, the certificate date on your original one expired. Just happened to me last week.

Leesureone

Motherboard
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
would you be able to guide me to the right direction how I could check if it's related to "usb port limit patch" and how I can create a custom usb kext?
I'm still not quite sure what the difference is between a kext and a ssdt also..

I can't tell you how to check if it's related to the USB port limit patch without having your setup. IORegistryExplorer program you can download will show you the USB device tree but it won't tell you if the ports are set up correctly. The only way to really know is to do the work, you will learn something even if it doesn't work but sleep wake is almost always related to USB configuration issues. Google the Apple USB Port Limit for more information.

There are a bunch of guides available on this site for how to create a custom USB.SSDT. You can also find them on YouTube, Insanely Mac, etc, etc, etc. Just google it and then you are pretty much on your own, it's not that hard, and most of them walk you through it to some degree or another.

My take on kexts is that they are basically a driver that fools OSX to let PC Hardware act like a mac. Whatevergreen takes on the Video, AppleALC the sound etc. An SSDT is more like a specific coded hardware hack developed for different computers that need more persuasion than a kext can provide. Its also one of the most common ways to define and set the USB Port Limit patch needed for us to be able to have USB work correctly within the bounds of OSX.

The SSDT you create will replace the SSDT-NUC8-BC.aml loaded into Clover/ACPI/patched. Hopefully it will allow the internal USB headers to work and also allow the NUC to sleep and wake with bluetooth still functioning.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=How+to+Create+USB+SSDT&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

IOReg.png

Last edited:
Motherboard
INTEL NUC8i7BEH - Bios 74
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. Mac mini
I ran above command an attached the result, doesn't mean much to me. Maybe you or Leesureone?
that is a mess. Something is wrong. Mine was much more simple. Sorry cannot help in hosptial but I would say it is related to the bt modification sorry.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
You need to redownload Mojave, the certificate date on your original one expired. Just happened to me last week.
I'll try it.

One thing that I didn't notice at first. But the bluetooth is functionnal ?? I thought wifi-bluetooth via Intel chipset didn't work. I have a usb bluetooth dongle that I use on my hackintosh. I unplugged it and forgot to plug it and then realized that without the dongle my NUC8I7BEH hackintosh on Catalina had the bluetooth active and functionnal.
Did I missed something ?